Whoopee!! Tehani FINALLY got out of her slip yesterday and went sailing

Started by CharlieJ, April 23, 2006, 10:09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

She even took Laura and I along. And we took Laura's son too. Due to life's complications, this is the first time we've made it out since  last SEPTEMBER!!.

Sunny, warm and windy- beautiful day.

We had recently installed an inclinometer aboard so now we know just how far she lays over when sailing. Her normal sailing heel seems to be 20 degrees, but while she was on the tiller, Laura discovered that the rail goes under water when she heels 40 degrees! I decided that was a bit much so tucked in a reef- didn't slow her a bit.

Sailed over to some shallow water and went overboard to check the bottom- found no barnacles on hull- only some slime which washed off easily. After a short nap we headed back to the marina, logging 5.4 knots on a broad reach under just the single reefed main.

Kewl to be back sailing again. You forget just how GREAT it is to be out on the bay under sail. Everyone was way too pleasantly tired last night to bother posting, so I'm doing it this morning.

We CAN'T wait that long before doing it again, for sure.

Old picture- we didn't take any shots yesterday- too busy sailing ;D

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pixie Dust

Go Tehani Family!!  This weekend was great weather here in Florida too.
I had a lot of wind on my sails as well Sat evening and Sunday afternoon.  Cool thing was the Thunderbirds were putting on airshows Sat and Sunday, so while sailing in the bay, rail nearly in the water, the Thunderbirds were performing overhead.  It was so kewl!!  Awesome experience.  I anchored out behind Shell Island and truly did some much needed relaxing.  I don't think I have had such a good night sleep in a long time.  The water was softly lapping on the hull, you could hear the waves on the beach and the stars were out in all their glory.  I even spotted a beautiful shooting star.   :)
I am taking on some water from somewhere though when heeled that far over.  I had some water standing under the starboard setae both days.  I need to figure out the source of that.  I did have a messed up cabin once I got the anchor down.  All that heeling caused a lot of relocating of objects below.   :o ;D
I was having too much fun to worry about it at the time.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Skipper Dave

I love to hear people having fun sailing.  Just reading about you guys takes me right out there.  We are still without a motor. May have someone take a look this weekend.  I started it up last Sunday after replacing all filters and she billowed and sounded pretty bad.  Anyway I'll have her running before summer.

----------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Coastal Cruiser

Quote from: Skipper Dave on April 27, 2006, 05:04:40 PM
I love to hear people having fun sailing.  Just reading about you guys takes me right out there.  We are still without a motor. May have someone take a look this weekend.  I started it up last Sunday after replacing all filters and she billowed and sounded pretty bad.  Anyway I'll have her running before summer.

----------------------------------------------------------

You know, I can't help but chcukle a bit when I read this post. you own a sailboat, for christs sake. Its like people on those stink pot offshore fishing boats saying that they can't go fishing since the generator doe snot work. ;D

Pixie Dust

Dave, if you are in one of those marinas that you need engine power to get out of,  call a bud to pull you out, put up sails, enjoy the wind, then have them tow you back in.   ;D ;D ;D
Of course, you can always sit on the deck, drink adult beverages and watch the other boats docking skills.  That is usually good entertainment, especially if there is a boat ramp nearby.   :D
Hope it gets fixed soon. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

xroyal

Quote from: Pixie Dust on April 28, 2006, 07:02:27 PM
Dave, if you are in one of those marinas that you need engine power to get out of,  call a bud to pull you out, put up sails, enjoy the wind, then have them tow you back in.   ;D ;D ;D
Of course, you can always sit on the deck, drink adult beverages and watch the other boats docking skills.  That is usually good entertainment, especially if there is a boat ramp nearby.   :D
Hope it gets fixed soon. 

Connie, new here and enjoying your posts! The docking skills thing gave me a chuckle. I used to be in a marina on SF Bay in serious need of dredging. My side tie faced the harbor entrance. Sat. evening low tide about 5pm, and my friend and I were often stationed in the cockpit for the expected antics. Here came the sails, hard to port for the entrance, and bang aground, one after the other. Obviously, I don't wish a mate bad luck, but anyone who has invested in a 30-40' boat ought to have the commonsense to learn some basics. Watching 2 or 3 boats trying to winch each other off was something else. They weren't going anywhere fast. At least, most were laughing at their own stupidity. We always gave a hand when we could help.  :)

P.S. Wish more members would sig their boat type and location.

John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Zen

"P.S. Wish more members would sig their boat type and location."

and yours is where?  :D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

CharlieJ

Good point on your P.S.

Just updated mine.

You should add yours though if requesting that.  ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

xroyal

Absolutely so! Flatfooted on that one.  :-[ Don't have a boat just now other than a sailing dinghy and a runabout...boat shopping now. Added SoOregon to my profile.

Thanks!
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Pixie Dust

Welcome aboard Xroyal.  Glad I can entertain.   :D  Always great to have new people join the site!!  Feel free to jump on in.
Sometimes we have sat at the ramp late evening just to watch the powerboaters come in.  There are always a bunch of very old boats, look almost like they are on their last leg and they are from Georgia.  (please no offense to my Ga friends) ;D  They usually had several men on board with very very large belly's, which resembled a spare innertube overlapping their shorts.  You get the picture.
We called them Ga Wallbangers because they seem to bounce off every wall at the ramp and did not seem to care one bit.   :D  Used to crack us up.  When a stinkpot came in with GA on the bow, we knew we were in for a treat. 

Of course, if I had to back a trailer down a ramp, I am sure I would give others some good material too.  :)  Nice thing about a sailboat that stays in the water.  ;)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

xroyal

Connie, thanks for the welcome!

I would have enjoyed it much more if they were stinkpotters!

I had some fun yesterday. Met a bunch of new folks at our local, little yacht club, mostly getting their boats in for the season (sort of short in Lat 42). One fellow was helping an older skipper hoist his 3 ton (limit of the crane) sailboat off a trailer toward the water. At one point he asked me to jump in his new Cadillac SUV, and back the whole rig to the dock's/water's edge. No thanks my friend, one slip and it could all be parked in the lake.  Nice fellows!

Fun to see the docks starting to hum with activity! Good May 1 on you!  :)

John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Skipper Dave

Two Sundays ago my wife and I were sitting on the boat and I turned to her and said this is a sailboat after all.  So we inlisted the assistance of our next door (slip) neighbor and shoved off for a couple hours of pure sailing.  Now I have sailed into our slip a few times without incident but this Sunday the wind was kick'in pretty good  so needless to say we took some assistance the last hundred yards or so and had a great day of sailing. Meanwhile we still enjoy sitting in the cockpit watching all the other boats go by.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

S/V "Tina Marie"  Cal 2-27

Skipper Dave

Wow somebody knows how to change words, such as, ass to butt and not allow me to go back and change it.  What a genius.  I'm really impressed.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Zen

way to go! Where there is will & wind there is a way... ;D

Quote from: Skipper Dave on May 01, 2006, 11:30:12 AM
Two Sundays ago my wife and I were sitting on the boat and I turned to her and said this is a sailboat after all.  So we inlisted the assistance of our next door (slip) neighbor and shoved off for a couple hours of pure sailing.  Now I have sailed into our slip a few times without incident but this Sunday the wind was kick'in pretty good  so needless to say we took some assistance the last hundred yards or so and had a great day of sailing. Meanwhile we still enjoy sitting in the cockpit watching all the other boats go by.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

S/V "Tina Marie"  Cal 2-27
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Skipper Dave

Hey Zen thanks for the nice words.  Of course I didn't add that we did a little bumping on the way out, nothing serious but I think we will wait till the motor comes back to take her out again.  Hurting our boat is one thing hurting someone elses is a no no.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Pixie Dust

Skipper Dave, As they say in Latts/Atts, Your attitude made it an adventure rather than an ordeal.  :)  On a boat, we can always find ways to entertain ourselves! 
Glad you had fun!! 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Skipper Dave

Connie,

I can tell you always have the right attitude...always a pleasure to hear from you.  BTW are you headed out anywhere this weekend? hope so...

--------------------------------------------------------------------

hearsejr

Quote from: Zen on April 29, 2006, 01:14:32 PM
"P.S. Wish more members would sig their boat type and location."

and yours is where?  :D

hay maybe I can take your advice here myself.
da boat: a 1972 south coast SC-22
da location: North Carolina

Bill

CharlieJ

After 33 days and some 1800 miles of cruising, as of 2130 last evening, Tehani was moored in her own slip.

Don't know if I'm totally happy with being back but it was time. I've got boats to build  ;)

Connie and Kurt- VERY sorry we missed seeing you in Florida. We did manage  3 days of offshore sailing on our way home- from SW pass on Vermillion Bay La, to Freeport Texas in pretty decent weather. We would have had a better time if the self steering had cointinued to work the last night- as it was, we had to hand steer all night (through the oil rigs) so wound up exhausted. Still is was a good trip.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pixie Dust

CJ and Laura!!  Welcome home you seadogs!!  So glad to have you back.  I understand about not being totally glad to be back.  If I had my way, I would have turned around and headed right back out, especially if I could have conned Kurt out of his hammock.   ::) :D I was not ready to come home...not even close.  Kurt had a heck of the time at the helm keeping the boat going back East.  ;D  He was afraid to sleep, knowing on my watch we would be headed back West to hook up with you and then South for where ever.  So glad you got some offshore cruising in finally.  Sounds like Tehani did you proud!
I was also very disappointed we did not get to make the rendezvous happen, but that will give us an excuse to try again another day.  We want to see some picts when you catch your breath. 
Glad the trip was a success and you are safe!   :)
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2