Looking for this stove top baker

Started by Capt. Tony, December 06, 2014, 11:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Tony

We are hoping to track down one of these gadgets.  Looks like a nice addition to the galley ware.  Does anyone have a contact in the States for one?

CharlieJ

Never seen one before. I just use a pressure cooker as a stove top oven (without the gasket of course)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

jotruk

I found it on ebay a few months ago don't know if there are still any on there
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Capt. Tony

Looks like the Omnia is Omni-present.  It appears to be the only model that comes up on searches that can be readily purchased here in the States.  Carol was hoping to find the model posted in the picture because she says it looks more "substantial".  I follow her lead as she has done most of the research on, and outfitting of, the galley.  This baker has thrown up some road blocks though.  So, I thought we'd try posting here.

We originally had planned to "bake" in the pressure cooker being our galley stove only has a warming oven, but this option provides better air circulation.  It's worth giving it a try to see if it is something that will make it's way into the permanent galley kit, or if it's merit doesn't work for us.

Tim

Oh, when you said "one of these" you REALLY meant one of these.  You are right, they do look better made than the Omnis. I guess you will just have to take Carol to Europe to find it ;)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CapnK

I saw those sometime last year and read quite a bit about them. Looks like you might be able to make one from a stove-eye liner, bundt cake pan, and a lid, if you could find them in the right sizes.

IIRC, in Yves movie it looks like he was baking in something similar.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Capt. Tony

I believe you are right on Yves using one of these, or something similar.  Until a couple of weeks ago, I often wondered why he was making bread in a cake pan!  Sure would be easy enough to put one of these together if I knew what a stove-eye liner was and where to find one.

And Tim...
Quote from: Tim on December 07, 2014, 06:43:10 PM
I guess you will just have to take Carol to Europe to find it ;)

Another outburst like that and I will see about banning you! :o
Just kidding.. It's on our list.  Just not for a while.  Like after sailing.  For a while.

CharlieJ

Second post in three days!! WOW, this board is getting BUSY!

GRIN!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Googled it, "burner liner" is more correct terminology. Sea beelo:
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Capt. Tony

Now I'm reading what you're saying, Capn. 

I played hookie from work today* so I popped in Yves' DVD and attempted to put winter astern for a few hours.  It turns out he was actually using a pressure cooker to bake bread.  What threw me off was the loaf that looked like a giant** doughnut, which would match the shape of one of these stove-top bakers we're talking about here.  But, the truth must be told, and, the truth is Charlie is spot on as usual.  None the less, we are going to give one of these bakers a try.

*I really was ill, not just calling in, "sick of it".
** It is my belief that all doughnuts should be giant.