News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Allure to the Abacos/15

Started by Frank, January 14, 2015, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

AH- put the dish soap on the scrubby, Wash from that, wetting as needed, THEN rinse. Uses almost no water. I still do it here in the house sink :D

I often use the pump shower to rinse by the way. And DON'T stack dishes- gets the bottoms dirty  ;D

Not bad usage though
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

CJ....that number is "solo". Put a good looking mate aboard and both water and TP usage quadruple !! :) :o ??? ::)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

LOL

toilet paper in particular.

Single hand, my MSD will go 14-15 days between pump outs. With a second aboard, 6-7 days max. And it NEVER gets liquid in it except coincidentally.

Now if I found that "good looking mate" I certainly  would not complain ::)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

This is  poop subject no way you look at it.......Ba-dump Bump ...Ching.....

Frank

The small town harbor at GTC, met friends from Nova Scotia at "Miss Emily's Blue Bee Bar"....where the "Gum Bay Smash" originated...great time, and their boat in close by Black Sound.
I'm getting "antsie"...will head N or S soon once the S winds are finished blowin hard..

Frank

I'm still anchored in Black Sound in Green Turtle Cay. The winds keep  clocking south with up to 30 knots+...front after front. South winds are the worst here as  there are no good anchorages for protection so ya "hide out" near town.
The Abacos are what I call "the real Bahamas". Fairly unaffected by USA  influence. No McDonalds or USA stores etc. Tourist places like Nassau and  Freeport are far more "touristy" and have more crime. The little hamlet of  New Plymouth is the town here. About 350 people..it feels like home. There is no begging, no theft and it is  perfectly safe. You can walk the sleepy streets at 2am without worry. The  streets are narrow, very clean and not busy. Its a funky lil place. Pics  are the small town harbour (tide is out), the streets and the public dock  (with conch salad vendor) It was beautiful yesterday! Overcast and wind is  up today. I'm getting "antsie"...time to head N or S...but hope to move  soon. That's the beauty of cruising...ya get to see lots

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Thanks Frank for putting stuff up here about your trip, glad your having a good time with the new boat.
I'll take being stuck somewhere warm because of a 30 knot southerly wind.
Enjoy, going to get -15 here tonight.

Bob

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Frank

Just had an amazing evening. An unplanned beach bon fire with some old cruising buddy's and a few new ones. Jeff brought his little generator ashore, put it in the woods and ran the cord out to the beach for his amp and speakers. Here we are...middle of no where, bonfire on, rum flowing, listening to everything from Don Mclean "American pie" to Pink Floyd "just 2 lost souls living in a fish bowl...year after year"....all done with amazing electric guitar and good vocals. It was surreal really. All agreed that life just doesn't get any better.

Jim_ME

But February made me shiver
Ev'ry blizzard nature delivered
Snowdrifts on the doorstep
I couldn't take one more step

I can't remember why I tried
To shovel out my buried drive
Something ached in my backside
The day this cruise hick sighed...

So bye-bye, frigid Canadian highs
Drove my Volvo down to SoHo, snow was up to my thighs
While them far-off sailin' boys were drinkin' rum an' fish fry
Singin' "Come on down its just like July...
Come dance under the Island sky..."

Frank

Grog for the lyrics!!! Ya missed your calling....shoulda been a song writer!!!

Hunkered down for another blow today, then heading S to Elbow Cay tomorrow. Looking forward to a change of scenery. Hope Town is SO pretty. I'll try to get a few good pics of the light house.

s/v Faith

I LOVE HopeTown!  So glad you are out there Frank!  Thanks for the updates.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Forecast changed...this blow will last another day or so. Gusting 35+...white caps in Black Sound. Hope to get there by the end of the week. The Whale Passage would be a total mess with the NNW for now.

Yep....it is SO pretty there!!!  Looking forward to it.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Quote from: Frank on February 10, 2015, 07:07:21 AM
Grog for the lyrics!!! Ya missed your calling....shoulda been a song writer!!!

That's a second on that, pretty dam cool.

Frank, it my be gusting where you at but it's a dry heat LOL

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Jim_ME

Thanks Frank and Bob.  :) Another blizzard is forecast to start tomorrow...  ::)

Continuing to enjoy your photos and reports. Grog to you. It's looking better there every day, Frank!

Looking for a map or chart to follow your adventures, discovered something that I didn't realize...that this NOAA chart includes the Bahamas...
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/11013.shtml

Interesting to see the large areas of shallow water.

Fair winds, Frank!  :)

SeaHusky

Interesting!
Are the depth figures in meters or feet?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

jotruk

s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

SeaHusky

Quote from: jotruk on February 14, 2015, 09:41:52 AM
depth is in fathoms
Thanks! That leaves plenty of room under the keel!  :)
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Frank

To pass from the northern Abacos to the south-eastern Abacos, you must pass a very shallow bank. Deeper draft boats must go on the "outside" around Whale Cay. There is a very shallow route you pass by aligning 2 small islands called "Don't Rock Passage". I assume, as it is only 3ft at low tide, that means "don't pass if it's rocking" as and swells will surely put you aground. If passed at high tide on calm days it's fine with over 5ft of water. When a strong wind has been blowing for several days in just about anything in the NW to E range...the sea around the Whale turns into what the locals call a "rage sea".
I've been trying for several days to pass. The blurry picture is of "the Whale"... in a decreasing rage. I returned and anchored in tiny "Bluff Bay" to wait. It's entrance has the cutest lil island!

Frank

2 days later...getting impatient to move (a bad thing) I tried again as the rage was falling. I took "Don't Rock passage" rather than risk outside. Huge confused ocean swells rolled over a bank just before the entrance but it seemed doable. Well...several white knuckle minutes later and I was through.  It continued to roll even tho the water was deepening but I knew I was OK and ended up being treated to a fast broad reach all the way to Marsh Harbour. The Jib Room has a steak BBQ every Saturday and is attended by tons of cruisers. No camera batteries last night...but it was a hoot. A lil hung over...I'm upstairs at Curly tails having a "clear my head" glass of wine to get wifi.  More later.....
Pics are from where I'm sitting right now.

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: Frank on February 05, 2015, 09:35:47 AM
Pics  are the small town harbour (tide is out), the streets and the public dock  (with conch salad vendor) It was beautiful yesterday!
I have all those same pics!  Have been looking at your cruise, wistfully thinking of being there last year.  Thanks for posting.  I hope to make it out there again someday.  Enjoy!!   Sheila