News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Allure to the Abacos/15

Started by Frank, January 14, 2015, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

even on a cool, overcast rainy day this looks nice.  It's looking towards the sea of Abaco directly out the entrance.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Frank

I took a short video while "in the steam"...sent it to Gerry...he posted it here

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Com-Pac-Yachts/139644446101990?fref=photo&sk=videos

"ya wanna make waves look small....take their picture!"

Jim_ME

Fine new photos and reports, Frank.

I especially like the story about the volunteer garbage man, the photos of the empty double chair (inviting viewers to sit down there with an ale and enjoy the view), and of the colorful houses and land/streetscapes. Very nice. :)

Frank

I get emails from home of sub zero temps and a ton of snow. I'll apologize ahead to all snow bound people for this post.
Left Hope Town yesterday. The winds and cooler temps had finally passed through and I was treated to a very slow but totally beautiful sail to Treasure Cay. I resisted the urge to start the engine as speeds dropped to the 2.2 range. At times I was bombing along at 3.5  :o  Auto pilot on...good book...even had a rum. It took most of the day to get there but I loved every minute.
To all snow bound folks...sorry for these pics   ;D

Frank

marked, twisty entrance to the anchorage and marina, marina straight ahead, anchorage to right, looking back. Rate is $10 to anchor but you get showers and wifi. Not bad.

Frank

A few years back, National Geographic voted Treasure Cay as one of the "top 10" beachs in the world. It is several miles long and only a 5 minute walk from the dingy dock.

Marina facilities you can use. The $10 ain't bad

s/v Faith

Absolutely beautiful pictures frank! 

Yea, it is a tough winter.  Went into the city yesterday, actually needed a light jacket....   Over my shorts.   :)

It is 72 today, but breezy here.  Bet you have about the same?

Water sure is a lot prettier there though!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Craig...it's 83 in the cabin  ;)   Left Treasure Cay this morning in calm to catch the tide and motor through "don't rock" passage. Back in Green Turtle now.   Picture is the sea this morning and the SE "rock" marking "don't rock passage"

As you can see...it wasn't a "sails up" kinda day  :o

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Quote from: Frank on February 23, 2015, 08:20:06 AM
ITo all snow bound folks...sorry for these pics   ;D

Your pictures, only thing that's got me thru the month of February. Well maybe a little bourbon too :)
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Frank

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Lemonade here  :D with an early Spring  8)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Bubba the Pirate

I'm trying to decide if its the tequila that's keeping me up at night.

More testing is required.

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

Todd....keep testing..... I've been testing rum for years!!    :o

Frank

Not much to report. It's been windy after I returned to Green Turtle so 'hunkered down'. Nice today, will get up early tomorrow to make the tide and head south again.
Anyone that has cruised will understand this...kind of a sad day... Jim, a very good buddy, just slipped his mooring to head E and hopefully make the Gulf Stream crossing on weds. Calling for 3fters, but a 10 second interval and will be on his stern so he's on his way. You meet many friends, some, like Jim, become very good friends. It's always sad to see them leave (or leave yourself). While here, you know you'll run into each other again at some point. Once you head home...you're never sure. God willing, we'll both be back next year.

PS...Jim had a 39ft offshore sailboat for years. He switched to "the dark side" with the Albin 27 aft cabin. A great lil cruiser. The diesel is quite large and after listening to it thought "rumbler" would be a good name. His wife thought "Rum Blurr" would be more appropriate.  It stuck   ;D

CharlieJ

Yep- one bad thing about cruising- saying goodbye to good folks. You tend to make friends quickly when both are aboard cruising boats. Always bitter sweet to part
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Back in Marsh Harbour. The "Jib Room" has 'rib night' on weds. Will be a lot of cruisers. Never did the ribs...will be a fun night.
Last trip to southern Abacos this winter. Haul out 1st week of April.
Still 4 weeks...but feeling the time clicking....

Frank

The ribs were THEE BEST I have ever had!! Geez...this guy can cook!! A ton of people and everyone done perfectly!! Huge portions and simply fell off the bones!

Got "antsie" and sailed back to HopeTown this morning. Last trip down here so I thought I needed one more "fix"

Trip down was beautiful!

Shoals are easy to see

Frank

As I neared Elbow Cay, there were sailboat races underway. Amongst the fleet was the "Abaco Rage"...a traditional old Bahamian racer with a huge main and the long board out for crew to sit on (8-10ft out!) as ballast!

pictures are blurry...waves and distance=blur   :o

Frank

I approached the entrance to Hope Town harbour near low tide. Several boats waited near then entrance for the rise. I motored past and got the last available mooring ball. Ya gotta love shallow draft!!

Currently at "Captain Jack's" to get wifi and de-stress over a Kalik   ;)