Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Allure to the Abacos/15

Started by Frank, January 14, 2015, 05:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Quote from: Frank on March 25, 2015, 01:00:35 PM
Larry and Elizabeth hosted "golfcart drive in" movie night at Bluff Point yesterday so I sailed down and dingy'd in..  They made a screen for their garage door and use a projector. Fun night!

Had a similar experience at Little Farmers Cay, Exumas. They set up folding chairs, made popcorn  for all and projected a movie on the side of the restaurant, which was painted white. Watched 2012 :D fun night

Of course, Little Farmers only had 67 residents  ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

GiGi just emailed me these pictures.
Never in their 33yrs 'out' have they witnessed this
For 10 full days at Manjack...they had 1000's of fish circle their
boat! Along with them...rays, sharks and barracuda's swam circling
looking for a meal. They said it was a day long nature show to see
for a full 10 days!!!!

Gotta be out to see it :-)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

That would make me nervous swimming off the boat. This is a shot taken off the dock I think at Big Farmers Cay when they were cleaning fish.

I still have my Tshirt from Ocean Cabin Resturant on Little Farmers
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Will be hauling out on Thursday so took a 'mini cruise' up to Manjack Cay, Powel Cay and back. I'd never stopped at Powel before this year. Nice beachs out front and on the ocean side. Seldom many people on them.

pics are Allure in the lee
            sea side beach
            ocean beach

Frank

It is late March so the annual progression of boats heading W (home) has begun. While anchored at Powel there were up to 18 vessels in sight at one time heading home. Several today as well as I returned to Green Turtle.

Saw a crab that took up residence in a conch shell

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on March 31, 2015, 03:08:52 PM
Nice beachs out front and on the ocean side. Seldom many people on them.
Thank you for more beautiful photos, Frank. Those deserted beaches look wonderful.

Fair winds for your remaining time there and haul-out.  :)

Bubba the Pirate

Thanks, Frank!
I can't wait to be down there in Winter 2016/2017. I'll be passing thru on the Westsail delivery this Spring but we won't have much time; likely won't stop for much unless we need something. Anyway, I'm not in charge of anything much less the schedule. :-)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

ya gotta love the crazy colors down here!! makes ya smile....

Frank

So.....another winter cruise is over  :'(

Allure is hauled at Green Turtle
Sails and canvas now off and stored, seal the teak today and ready to leave.

Depressed...."re-entry" awaits..... :'(

Note the difference in draft from the C&C 30 behind Allure.  (3.5ft to 5ft)
In Bahamas or Keys.....shoal draft rocks!!

Tim

Quote from: Frank on April 04, 2015, 10:48:04 AM
So.....another winter cruise is over  :'(

Allure is hauled at Green Turtle
Sails and canvas now off and stored, seal the teak today and ready to leave.

Depressed...."re-entry" awaits..... :'(

I love you Frank, but it is hard to feel sorry for you. No doubt you have your next adventure completely planned out and ready to go  :) ;) :P  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Guilty......but that is 5mths away   :'(

Have to settle for trailersailing to Moosehead or North Channel in between.

Joking aside....haul out is the %$&@#

Frank

finished wrapping up "storage prep" this morning.
waiting at the airport now....

sure looks "bare" stripped of everything

last nights sunset from my favorite bar (my last one until next season)

Jim_ME

Beautiful photo of the sunset, among many others.

Interesting to see your boat (and others) tied down. Makes sense, since she has a hurricane season to get through, with mast up, before you return.

Congrats on your first season aboard Allure in what seems like an amazing place. It's has be great to read your thread. Grog to you.

Looking forward to you making another trailer-sailing trip here to Maine, and catching up with you, hopefully in both places.  :)

Fair winds on your trip back.

SeaHusky

Out of curiosity, what preparations do you do for leaving a boat on land in a hot and humid(?) area possibly over storm season?

I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Norman

Curious too, why mast up?  Planning to be away for 5 months, seems to be extra stress cycles on the rig.  On the other hand, less chance of hardware walking away....

Frank

"Rig up...stripped" has never been an issue in 14yrs south. Some folks leave sails on but tied down....I'm not that brave! My boat went through 2 back to back hurricanes in this yard in 2004 with no probs, 2 since then. The shroud turnbuckles are "2 turns back".

I have had mould troubles in Florida but not here. Not sure why? More wind? More sun? Dry, paved yard?

I bleach out the ice box, the water system, the head and galley, then turn the cushions up. So far....so good.

The yard is great and always had those wooden "cradles". In 04, Indiantown had 27 boats over....these guys 1. (deep draft...high)  2 yrs ago they bore concrete tubes in and now have the straps as well.  I feel as safe as possible there...but bad hurricanes are....well....bad   :(

Frank

Quote from: Frank on March 01, 2015, 12:27:44 PM
Not much to report. It's been windy after I returned to Green Turtle so 'hunkered down'. Nice today, will get up early tomorrow to make the tide and head south again.
Anyone that has cruised will understand this...kind of a sad day... Jim, a very good buddy, just slipped his mooring to head E and hopefully make the Gulf Stream crossing on weds. Calling for 3fters, but a 10 second interval and will be on his stern so he's on his way. You meet many friends, some, like Jim, become very good friends. It's always sad to see them leave (or leave yourself). While here, you know you'll run into each other again at some point. Once you head home...you're never sure. God willing, we'll both be back next year.

PS...Jim had a 39ft offshore sailboat for years. He switched to "the dark side" with the Albin 27 aft cabin. A great lil cruiser. The diesel is quite large and after listening to it thought "rumbler" would be a good name. His wife thought "Rum Blurr" would be more appropriate.  It stuck   ;D

Well....
Jim didn't make it back "next year"
But I pulled into Garden Bay in Pender Harbour BC last night and dropped anchor....Next to Rum Blurr.
God was willing that we met again...just took a little longer and a different coast 😄
Jim n Deb heading over once my anchor was down

Top pic from the March 2015 post
Bottom pic was last night