Boat shed complete....Almost

Started by Cruiser2B, January 24, 2015, 10:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser2B

This week I finally got the top on the boat shed I have been working on. I am happy to say that the boat is dry even though it is raining quite heavily out right now. I am working on a blog write up with the details of the shed build. Let the refit begin!
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Jim_ME

Congrats, Jason, on getting the boat shed together. Want to eventually build one of those bow roofed sheds myself--fully enclosed to provide a warmer place to work in the colder weather. Here in the North, the local sailing season is fairly short (only about 4 months). If you wait for the good weather to work on a boat, that is also the season that you want to be sailing, so creating a way to shift the maintenance/restoration/refit work to some time other than boating season makes a lot of sense. Even during the summer fall, such a shelter provides a reliably dry place to work--as it does for you in your warmer (than here) climate.

I was interested to read in your blog about your seeing the two boats from here in Maine that were in Virginia on their way South. Including a Bristol 30 whose owners had decided to remove its Atomic 4 and use an outboard on a transom-mounted bracket. You wrote that they were happy to have done that and that the outboard motor could push the (8650 lbs base displacement/perhaps getting close to 10k pounds loaded with gear and provisions) at "5 kts in calm water". You didn't say what size the outboard is, but I expect that it is about 10 hp? Capt Smollet/John also seemed to be happy with using a 10 hp outboard on his similarly-sized Alberg 30.

You also wrote that "Both [boats] had young cruisers living the dream of heading off to warmer and simpler places." It seems like some of these young cruisers make a decision to adopt that type of life before accumulating the kinds of things that can make it difficult to leave. Such as a house filled with things and other obligations. Some of us older folks can find a way to close up the house, some sell it and all the stuff, or downsize to a more simple place that can be more easily closed up and left behind. Like many things, I do think that it may be easier to prevent property build up (and other ties that can bind one) by adopting a more nomadic life at a younger age. Woody and RaLay aboard Mona also seemed to have taken (and enjoyed) this course...

Congrats, too, on getting your Mariner's License and find work in this field, on the ferry.  :)

CharlieJ

Quote from: Jim_ME on January 25, 2015, 02:42:20 PM
Woody and RaLay aboard Mona also seemed to have taken (and enjoyed) this course...

Speaking of- I got an email  from Ralay  just the other day. They are wintering in New Bern NC. Wonder if they've connected with Smollet?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cruiser2B

Quote from: Jim_ME on January 25, 2015, 02:42:20 PM

I was interested to read in your blog about your seeing the two boats from here in Maine that were in Virginia on their way South. Including a Bristol 30 whose owners had decided to remove its Atomic 4 and use an outboard on a transom-mounted bracket. You wrote that they were happy to have done that and that the outboard motor could push the (8650 lbs base displacement/perhaps getting close to 10k pounds loaded with gear and provisions) at "5 kts in calm water". You didn't say what size the outboard is, but I expect that it is about 10 hp? Capt Smollet/John also seemed to be happy with using a 10 hp outboard on his similarly-sized Alberg 30.

You also wrote that "Both [boats] had young cruisers living the dream of heading off to warmer and simpler places." It seems like some of these young cruisers make a decision to adopt that type of life before accumulating the kinds of things that can make it difficult to leave. Such as a house filled with things and other obligations. Some of us older folks can find a way to close up the house, some sell it and all the stuff, or downsize to a more simple place that can be more easily closed up and left behind. Like many things, I do think that it may be easier to prevent property build up (and other ties that can bind one) by adopting a more nomadic life at a younger age. Woody and RaLay aboard Mona also seemed to have taken (and enjoyed) this course...

Congrats, too, on getting your Mariner's License and find work in this field, on the ferry.  :)

Jim,

I went and looked at the photo I took because I really wasnt sure what size it was, It appears to be about 6hp. A few years ago we met a couple in Oriental with a triton, loaded for cruising and it was propelled with a 6hp thru ICW. They continued cruised to the Azores and back. When talking with them they said before the 6hp engine they had a british seagull that got them from Maine to Norfolk, they said they motored thru the Cape Cod Canal with it! That canal is no place to be under powered! Locally I have sailed with a guy that has a Bristol 27 he also uses a 6hp outboard, he could motor right along side my Alberg 30 with good A4. I think as long as you plan and dont try to push it 6hp will move an A30 quite nicely.
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

ralay

This boat shed is a beautiful thing.  We've spent so many months living in and trying to work on tarp-swaddled boats.  It would have been so nice to have a big enclosure like this!