NY2Panama - Westsail 42

Started by Bubba the Pirate, April 22, 2015, 03:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba the Pirate

Eleanor is *not* a Sailfar boat, but I signed on as crew for delivering a Westsail 42 from Stony Point, NY to Panama. She is a cutter ketch and a beautiful ship. I will post occasional trip updates here.

Been here 2 1/2 weeks getting the boat ready. We are back in the water, cleaned up and prepped. We have installed: a wood stove, a hydraulic autopilot, a Fleming windvane, SSB, stereo radio and fixed the bow roller.  Next up is a new furler for the headstay. We need to get some engine spares, some fuel and some provisions. The furler is a big project so our departure is likely after Sunday, 4/26.

Life is good. Sail on.
Todd
Pictures: Alex, the skipper and his boat. + s/v Eleanor at the dock on the Hudson. 
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Marc

Todd, are you still planning a 2016 great loop departure?  If so, I had to postpone mine for a year so now I'm planning a September of 2016 departure from Dubuque, Iowa on the mississippi river, maybe we could hook up.  Have fun on your journey on the westsail will you be going to Colon?  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

Bubba the Pirate

I'm leaning toward going out the Erie Canal, but if I go down the big river I let you know.

I fly out of Panama City but might get to Colon as I'll be on that coast the whole time. I'm hoping to spend some time in country before I come home.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

I've been blogging a bit. We got out into the Atlantic yesterday but the fickle winds were eerily off from the forecast. After talking with some weather geek friends, we turned back. Tropical Storm-to-be Ana(?) has delayed us.

Read the series starting here and then clicking 'Newer Posts:'
http://bubbathepirate.blogspot.com/2015/04/my-life-as-swab.html

Or the latest post is here:
http://bubbathepirate.blogspot.com/2015/05/maxs-hill.html?m=1
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

We're likely stuck here until Wednesday. Sitting at anchor in Atlantic Highlands waiting for Ana to blow out or blow away.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Captain Smollett

Nice.  Cool trip and good report.  I like the "lifted her skirts" line!   ;)

Can't see the pictures, though.  Clicked the link and got message saying "Album is empty."
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jim_ME

Much better! Nice photos...and blog writing.

Grog to you, Todd. :)

Fair winds.

Bubba the Pirate

Well, the trip is off for now in Fort Pierce. 

The captain's father needs some attention and hurricane season is looming.  The boat will make the rest of the trip in December. I have an open invitation to crew then.  Right now, I'm likely to go back to Michigan and hit the road again. I don't know if I can make it back or not.

I wouldn't trade the last 60 days for anything.  I have more pictures and sea stories to post. It may take me a couple weeks while I get back up north and find a job again. 

:o]
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~