News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fiberglass help

Started by Cruiser2B, April 22, 2015, 07:25:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser2B

Started chipping away at some of the layers of bottom paint on my Alberg 30. Nothing too serious just going around with a screwdriver and chipping at the very loose stuff.  I can upon what looked like worm tracks...seemed odd so I began chipping some more and then  starting sanding. You can see in the attached photos what I found. It appears to be some sort of resin...I seriously do not think its epoxy. Can anyone help my identify this and should I be worried about what might have happened in this area?

Thank you
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

Jim_ME

It looks to me like it is some kind of resin and some sort of material was added to reinforce it, if it was structural, (or to thicken it, if it was some kind of fairing compound). Some of that added material has worn, or eroded, or possibly been blasted away by something that was more abrasive than needed (and it is more susceptible to this abrasion than the resin)?

I would have expected that when you removed the bottom paint, there should be the original gelcoat, but especially with such an old boat, she may have been stripped many times, and not always in the best way.

I wonder whether there could have been some bottom/gelcoat issue(s), such as osmotic blistering, and then it was coated with this resin/material?

I have not encountered this myself, but this is my best guess at the moment from the photos. It will be interesting to see how large an area is covered with this as you continue to strip the layers of paint off. Would be interested to see how thick this resin is...maybe that is visible at the hole(s)?

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Looks like once upon a time blisters to me.
I'd strip the bottom paint, hit it with a moisture meter & if all is well, barrier coat.

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Cruiser2B

Here's what I found...after hours of scraping and sanding..not a happy camper but I repair her.

http://svsalacia.blogspot.com/2015/06/alberg-30-refit-bottom-paint-removal.html

CapnK

How long has the boat been out of the water? I am seeing some (possible) blisters, but really not a whole lot to be too concerned about.

If the boat has been on the hard for at least several months, then I agree with the commenter on your blog that you should just fair it as much as you are happy with doing, then hit it with a barrier coat, and let 'er ride. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Cruiser2B

CaptK,
been on the hard now for 8 months....and probably with be there for 18-24 months depending on how long refit takes.
I think I will start filling and fairing the pits and holes in a few weeks.

Thank you for the help

Cruiser2B

I posted a small update on my blog but the other side of the boat looks alot better. Pics and write up can be found here

Www.svsalacia.blogspot.com

Cruiser2B

Small update, starboard side is in much better shape and I am about 90% done removing bottom paint

http://svsalacia.blogspot.com/2015/07/alberg-30-refit-happy-4th-of-july-2015.html

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Boat projects. I thought it was just me but as I look around seems like everyone takes forever to make any headway on a project. Tear something apart, you see something else that disturbs you so keep tearing...

Looks like you making progress thou.   
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Cruiser2B

Looks like the bottom paint was holding in a bit of moisture in the gelcoat, posted a few pictures on my blog :(

http://svsalacia.blogspot.com/2015/07/alberg-30-refit-wet-hull.html

Cruiser2B

too hot outside to tackle any major project but making some progress

http://www.svsalacia.blogspot.com/2015/08/alberg-30-refit-dimples-on-her-bottom.html

if anyone knows of a better way to tackle this repair Im all ears

Thank you

CharlieJ

What you are doing works for me. But I'd work an area, then fill those while fresh and clean so they don't sit open and re contaminate
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera