News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Sea water in the galley?

Started by SeaHusky, May 07, 2015, 04:08:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeaHusky

I don't know how common this is on your side of the pond but in my boat I have two pumps and taps in the galley,
one for fresh water from the tank and one for seawater from a through hull.
I was going to keep it as is for simplicity's sake but as my refit has become a complete renovation I started to think again.
Do you have sea water in the galley and for what do you use it? 
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Tim

With refit, I maintained my dual water pumps, figuring at sea a lot of general washing and rinsing can be done with saltwater, saving freshwater final rinsing.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Put a hole in my hull to let salt water in???  I don't think so!! ;D

Seriously. I had a salt water pump on the tri I lived aboard. Seldom used it. Along most of the eastern and gulf coast of the US barring the keys the waters are simply too muddy to be worth rinsing things in. So if I'm somewhere with clean saltwater i just use a bucket with a lanyard to dip what I need

By the way- my sink has no drain-- it gets lifted out and dumped overboard
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

Thanks!
I wouldn't add this feature if it wasn't there but as i is the question is if I should put in the work to remove it or keep it for the time being.
I asked the same question on a Swedish forum and other people tend to use seawater for doing the dishes, washing hands etc. so I will keep it for now and maybe remove it in the future when I feel confident enough to glass over holes in the hull below the water line.

CharlieJ

If you have plenty of clean salt wateer it's handy. US east and gulf coast not zo much

Posted from Iphone  underway in Gulf ICW. 200 miles west of New Orleans
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

"Mud! We used to dream of having muddy water!" (Monty Python referens).

My concern is that in the Baltic which will be my area for a few years, due to eutrophication
the annual algae bloom makes the water poisonous for a couple of months every year. People who swim get sick and dogs that drink it die.
The sea cock on this intake will be a safety feature in more then one way...   :(

rorik

Mathilda has a sea water pump at the sink that connects through a ball valve and "T' to the engine intake strainer/though hull.
The ball valve gets shut before the engine is started.
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....