News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

can't get to boat

Started by jotruk, June 01, 2015, 07:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jotruk

Well the water has risen here in the lake to about 22.5 feet above normal. I can't get to my boat. The Corp of Engineers have shut down the lake and blocked off roads as you can not get to the boats. Even if the road was open the boat is about 45 yards from the beach. I am looking farward to this being over with. Just my time to complain thanks for listening
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Jim_ME

Thanks for sharing your situation, Jotruk. That is so far above normal, it seems like most marinas' docks would float off the top of the pilings--if that is the setup they have.

I would not have expected to be blocked from getting to my boat, especially at a time when it may need attention--pumping out, dock lines secured, etc. It must be very frustrating experience.

I wonder whether they would let you hike in on foot with a hard dinghy on a dolly or and inflatable dinghy and let you row out to your boat? I could understand that they might not want to let additional powerboats be launched that would create wakes that might add to the trouble, but it seems like they should let owners who want to take care of boats that are already out there.

Good luck to you. Hope that they allow you access soon.

CapnK

They are probably concerned with crazy people like me who would want to go to where the water was rough and kayak or something, so, being gov't bureaucrats, it's a blanket rule for everyone, because of a few. :)

Is this one of the lakes where 22' above normal, is still 6-10' below 'pond level' or whatever they call it when a reservoir is full?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Talked to a friend yesterday from just above Dallas. Was told that the law enforcement people were being driven nutso by idiots trying to fish the flood waters. Lots of big fish being flushed down rivers

As Buffeft says in one song- there's no dumbass vacine
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

The lake was closed down because of to many people trying to get to the marinas  and wanting to go swimming and fishing. I was surprised at the number of people that had there boats ( power boaters) that wanted to put in and explore the lake.
The lake is still about 10 foot below flood plane but it has over flowed the banks and a lot of roadways.
s/v Wave Dancer
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

jotruk

Well finally got to my boat today. she was still as I had left her, but sure felt good going aboard and seeing for my self. On another note I had bought a inflatable 3 person kayak and I found out that it is a bear to steer and very uncomfortable to set in for very long. I guess it will just take a while to get use to it this was the first time I had it out.
s/v Wave Dancer

Jim_ME

Quote from: jotruk on June 08, 2015, 04:59:11 PM
...she was still as I had left her, but sure felt good going aboard and seeing for my self.
I know that feeling well. Glad to hear that all is well with your boat.  :)

jotruk

Well the lake is finally down and they are letting boat owners go to there boats via land. Sure was nice to walk down the dock to the boat
s/v Wave Dancer

Jim_ME

Good to hear that things are getting back toward normal again and you can get to your boat more easily.

It's been strange to see all that flooding in your area, while there have been the long droughts in so many other areas... To see your boats and docks so far from land, while in the dry places there is so much land between the docks and the low water...

jotruk

Wow talk about coming full circle I went out to the boat today and dang it it was aground. the lake had dropped so much that the dock and most of the boats on the end of the dock were aground. The marina owner had some people come over and had to drag the dock back out into deeper water. Whats next?
s/v Wave Dancer

Travelnik

That happened here about 10 years ago, or so.

Due to the drought we had, all the sailboats at the marina (There was about 6' - 8' draft at the dock.) were laying on their sides, partially submerged in mud and muck, except for my twin-keeler.

Then, when the rains did come, they came in a big flood, and a few of the sailboats had their rails trapped under the edge of the dock, and sank. You could see a couple of masts sticking up out of the water, which was about 6" - 12" over the dock. (Pieces of the dock even broke loose and washed away.)

Shortly after that, my boat and a couple of the other nicer ones were stolen, which led me to a 6 year search to find it again.
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Cyric30

Travelnik
do you have the story of your boat theft and recovery posted somewhere ? i would be interested in reading about that little adventure

Travelnik

I wrote about on my blog: http://www.travelnik.com/ (I hate the way that blogs post from the newest to the oldest though.)

There hasn't been much updating on the blog, mainly because I haven't been financially able to do much on the boat, but someday I hope to post about all the restoration, and my sailing adventures.
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.