News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

So, I've been thinking...

Started by Godot, April 30, 2011, 04:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

The original concept of The Scoot seems to have come and gone without activity, which is a shame.  There were a lot of reasons. Bad economy. Personal commitments.  Perhaps a too tight time frame.  A severe disinclination for anyone to tell anyone else what to do.  A lack of focus.  Geographic diversity.  Essentially no real organization (outside of a generalized idea and a non-specific webpage).  Inertia.  The "one race" concept of the semi-organized Jester Challenge just wasn't ready for prime time here in the USA. Maybe in the future...

As one of the instigators of the original idea, I have a thought regards a reconceptualization.

Instead of going with the "one race" plan (which stinks of the possibility of having rules), or the "do whatever you want" plan (which, by removing deadlines and details removed the advantages of a deadline and may have significantly contributed to the neutering of the original idea), I think perhaps a series of Scoot Challenges would meet with more success. 

One example that works well for me in the Chesapeake: a circumnavigation of the DelMarVa Peninsula.  Or perhaps a variation on the Single Handed Sailing Societies Long Pac.  How about an "out across the Gulf Stream and Back" challenge.  The original Scoot Challenge would certainly qualify.  For the west coast folks, maybe a trip to Catalina Island or something.  A Great Lakes crossing?  Offshore to Bermuda.  I'm sure there are many more ideas.

The idea being that any challenge needs to be just that...a Challenge.  Something that will provide tests of seamanship and seaworthiness.  Something that will bring participants outside their comfort zone.  Something where smaller challenges can escalate into bigger challenges.  Also something where there is a clear understanding of success.  A day trip across the bay to Bob's Crab Shack wouldn't count, as there is nothing challenging about it (the plan, I mean ... even the most innocuous sail sometimes ends up throwing unexpected challenges in our path). 

I see no reason why any of this would have to be done in company (although I hope to eventually do the Original Scoot in company at a future date), and could be taken up whenever someone feels up to it.  A nice advantage is that folks could choose the kind of challenge that is practical and appealing to their own situation.

I foresee an "unofficial" nomination process (after all, everyone is always free to do what they want in the end) where a Challenge can be proposed and discussed.  Obviously, there won't be any official "approval" of any such Challenge, and it is probably best if the originating Challenger sets the rules in the end.  It would be cool if there was someplace where people could self report a successful completion of a challenge (right HERE is one idea, with perhaps a master list somewhere if someone wanted to volunteer to maintain it).

Maybe we can have unofficial (and likely virtual) Merit Badges or something.

There is no practical point to all of this outside of giving SailFarers encouragement to get out of their comfort zones and test and improve their seamanship.

Just an idea.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Auspicious

Quote from: Godot on April 30, 2011, 04:02:21 PM
Maybe we can have unofficial (and likely virtual) Merit Badges or something.

And a good idea. I'd like to see pins or small patches to put on a ball cap or jacket sleeve. Maybe stripes like the military uses?
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

;D
Since Laura and I have already done the Gulf Stream both ways- do we get a patch?
;D

And we're right now in Columbia, SC, on the way back to the boat, to do the Chasapeake- how about that?

I think the Scoot was a good idea that didn't happen and don't know what to recommend. Sorry. What you propose may work, may not. Let's kick it around some more.

Edited to add- once we make it to Hospital Point in Norfolk (official mile 0 of the ICW) Laura will have done the entire ICW (gulf and Atlantic) by sail boat. Gotta be worth a SOMETHING!!

Will be twice for me :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

A challenge is something to work toward.  If you've already completed all the requirements of a theoretical challenge, I suppose you could get the patch (or whatever) if it really interested you.  It seems like it would be a bit anti-climatic for you at that point, though.  Still, if you want, I will sew the virtual patch on your virtual Hawaiian shirt my virtual self. 
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

LOL- no, just kidding really. The accomplishments are sufficient unto themselves ;)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

A couple of years ago there were about 5 of us from here in the Bahamas. It is such an attainable destination and many from here could easily go. What about a "Sailfar Bahamas 2012" flag or patch to those that make it over next winter. Abacos in january anyone???
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Frank on May 01, 2011, 11:18:17 AM

A couple of years ago there were about 5 of us from here in the Bahamas. It is such an attainable destination and many from here could easily go. What about a "Sailfar Bahamas 2012" flag or patch to those that make it over next winter. Abacos in january anyone???

I'd love to do that...but we must claim the role of 'red headed stepchild.'

Unfortunately, my wife cannot get vacation time in the winter.  She mentioned taking some time so we could do a several week trip, and we are looking at options.  Sadly, her time off would be in the height of 'cane season.   :-\

Oh well.

As for The Scoot...I still like the idea of the "Personal Scoot."  I'll go when I can and after I get the boat ready.  She MAY have handled it a couple of years ago...but I decided to tackle some bigger projects.  On the tail end of some of those and hope to have her at least "light coastal" ready soon.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

David_Old_Jersey

I must confess I am one of those who was all up for the idea (despite being this side of the water), but life and laziness intervened.

Nonetheless am presently working on a "Challenge" (kinda inspired by the Jester Challenge) that might suit those on Sailfar type boats, albeit not aimed at them (us?!). More details to follow - but essentially it is a no rules challenge (run what yer brung - with whatever crew you want and own start date), with the route from (old) Jersey to New Jersey and back! (or vice verce!). Not a milk run or a common route and likely few (and possibly none!!) will ever undertake it, but that likely as much to do with how much support in cash I can get. The initial idea is for every boat that completes the challenge to get a crate of beer halfway and a gold coin upon completion (A sovereign in Jersey - possibly a dollar in the US). Initial funding by yours truly (as a marketing excercise), but the more cash (gold!) in the pot the more likely folks will take part. No fastest, youngest or smallest categories or records.

Time will tell if this comes to pass - these ideas of mine have a habit of not!  ::) But no doubt I will update folks here (there and everywhere!) should things progress............

okawbow

I'd love to try that! I wish I still had my Cheoy Lee.

In 2011, my wife and I did our own little "scoot" from Kentucky Lake to Mobile, and then from Mobile straight to Key West. Our first real offshore run. It took 6 days, and was wonderful. We went on to  Maine from there, including 3 more offshore jumps, with 2 being in the Gulfstream. The jump from Cape May New Jersey to New Bedford was almost our last, due to a fishing boat that tried hard to run us down one night.

I think my Bristol 24 could make your scoot, but I can't get my wife to agree.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.