Boat Shopping Adventures

Started by Fischer8504, August 08, 2015, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fischer8504

Hello all! My name is Brandon, I first introduced myself years ago and then was never very active in the sites various discussions. Well tomorrow I am checking out a Com-Pac 19 and practically have my mind made up to come home with it.

http://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/5146167902.html

I dream of far off places and winters in the Bahamas but am lacking in the experience department. I have been onboard swing keep boats a handful of times and do enjoy sailing from the small amount I've done. So while this may not be the boat to take me around the world I see it as a good stepping stone that can take me to the North Channel down the Big Muddy or through the ditch in relative comfort. Possibly after some miles under the keel even a trip to the Bahamas once my skills are up to snuff.

I suppose I'm posting on here looking for words of wisdom, thoughts, things to beware of and perhaps a reality check. Anyone experienced with a Com-Pac I welcome your words with many thanks. I look forward to becoming a more active member of this great online community and hope to be sharing stories of on the water adventures with you all soon.

Thank you

Jim_ME

Hello Brandon,

I have also been interested in both the Compac 17 and 19s as a possible trailer-sailer for limited trips and time aboard.

Although I've never owned either, I did own and sail a Cape Dory 19 (which was also 2000 pounds) for 12 years. If you plan to do a lot of cruising, including the Bahamas, the Compac 19 (or Typhoon/similar sized boats) is not just small, but I feel that many even here on SailFar would consider it very small. If you will be spending much time aboard awake reading, using a laptop, dining, hanging out with a visitor, on evenings, rainy days, etc., having that little interior volume can cause some real claustrophobia.

I do want to have a boat this size for long-distance trailer-sailing, but if I will be cruising to places much, my own personal small cruiser minimum size would be in the Compac 23/3000-lb range. Which I still consider quite trailerable with a conventional tow vehicle.

On the positive side, I have seen several Compac 23s for less than the $5k asking price for this Compac 19.

There was a couple, Nick & Melissa, that cruised to and around the Bahamas about their Compac 23 Tura Lura, and had a great blog on their adventures. When I googled it, and found this link...
sailingturalura.blogspot.com
It had been changed to "invitation only", but you may be able to email them and get permission?
Meanwhile here is a thread about them here on SailFar...
http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=4470.msg49706#msg49706

I have recently acquired an Alberg Sea Sprite 23 that I plan to setup on a tandem boat trailer that I already had. It is about 3400 pounds with about 3 foot  draft. For me, on the plus side is its full keel/attached rudder with 1400 lbs of lead ballast and slack bilge form, which gives it a comfortable motion whether beating into a chop or sleeping at anchor--two benefits that I have found increase in value as the days aboard accumulate. Not as much cabin space as the Compac 23, but for me (and my intended use) the motion benefits are worth the trade off.

Anyway, welcome (back), and good luck with your boat search, and cruising. Looking forward to reading about your experiences.

CharlieJ

I can't get in touch with Nick and Melissa either Jim

I was thinking that for one person the CP 19 would work ok, but then I've not been aboard one.

Fischer8504- we have a chat room and I'm in there now if you want to talk about it
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Fischer8504

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the thoughtful informative reply. Your concern of interior volume and claustrophobia are my main concerns as well as the asking price.

I have been putting some serious thought into this boat and a quick search brings up many more roomier options for a similar price. Albeit some of them need more work or do not have trailers or weigh too much for my current vehicle to handle. I may hold off on a boat purchase a bit longer.

Perhaps a small day sailor to gain more experience and enjoy the rest of this season with, acquire a new tow vehicle in the mean time. Then next spring get a boat more versatile for my intended uses. 

Cyric30

Hello Brandon
we spoke briefly in chat last night, was nice to meet you
you and me seem to be in the same boat (pun intended :D  )
I'm saving for a boat as we speak, but also lack the experience i need to sail where i would like, Like you i want to head to the Bahamas and maybe further with some experience.
My main thing with a boat for me will be my home for an extended amount of time, and if there's just more than you, storage becomes a top issue.

I'm not 100% on this please everyone correct me if I'm wrong, but with the exception of maybe some fresh food stuff, almost everything you buy in the Caribbean will be more expensive than the states, so anything from spare parts to food you take with you will save you money and allow you to cruise longer.

for the money you are using for that com-pac, you could go up several size and have a larger tougher built boat,  a few that come to mind right off the bat, Bristol 24, Westerly Centaur and Tartan 27. but there's alot more older "good old boat" to research, i have the forum here to thank for educating me enough to make a decently informed choice on buying a boat, if i hadn't i most likely would have made a bad choice.

if you have more question just ask, I'm not sure i should be giving advice to anyone, but there are alot more qualified ppl than me on here who make this little corner of the internet a fountain of great information.

Fischer8504

Jim, Charlie, Cyric (Joe right?)  thank you for the thoughts, replies and insight. I opted out of looking at the CP 19... the lack of interior room and just scanning through craigslist, seeing similar priced boats that are better suited to my goals. Just did not make sense.

The search continues! I may start a new thread... or simply turn this into my boat shopping adventures thread [Done! ;D]. Stay tuned.

CharlieJ

You are welcome. Visit again. We TRY to meet for a chat on Thursday nights around 8 central
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

Ya i would love to get chat going good, i just need to remember it :(

Fischer8504

Okay I will have to pop in and chat witg everyone.  Oh and thank you to whoever edited the title for me!

Fischer8504

Okay well boat shopping was interrupted by out of town work. I have mulled over the previous discussions I have had with a couple of you here and have decided a truck is not necessary. A boat I could tow would be nice but it's not a deal breaker. With that in mind...

I have had my eye on what appears to be a very loved and taken care of Triton http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/5218128682.html or an apparent steal for a Bristol 27 http://toledo.craigslist.org/boa/5227575742.html with ownership of a dock included.

My plan with either of these boats would be to leave them on the hard where they are. My job allows me the freedom to take time off as I see fit. I would then next summer after spending weekends learning either boat, take a month or however long and day hop/ cruise around Michigan till the boat is closer to home.

The Triton appears ready to go. The B27 looks to need some love before any big adventure but could be splashed and enjoyed in the mean time.  I plan to visit each boat this week before leaving town again next week. Opinions/ advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance

Sweetwater Pirate

Hi Brandon,

Where in MI are you?  There is a Bayfield on a trailer in Lake Ann. The posting indicates it is a 23.  It is listed on nmi craigslist.  They are asking $6,000.  The listing has a date of September 24.  It looks decent and may be worth checking out.  I only mention it as the Compac was listed there as well. 

There may be others here who know more about the Bayfield generally.  I am not affiliated with the boat or seller in any way.

Fischer8504

Hi Sweetwater,

I am located in Battle Creek, MI. Thanks for the tip!

Fischer8504

Hello again to all. I disappeared for the last 6-7 months! I have lurked and read through many different threads though. I am a Millwright by trade and spend spring and fall in/out of town working power houses. I am back home, with a nice boat budget, and on the hunt. I thank again, all who offered experience, thoughts, and advice last fall. I am looking at a couple of tartan 27 this week, on the east side of the Mitten.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/5561270425.html

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/5558780700.html

I have recently read Franks post about "Passion" it got me thinking. I have been dreaming of my own boat since I was 19 years old, now 30, I now have some extra funds and am waiting no longer. Some may say crazy but my rough plan is-
Purchase boat this Spring
Spend all summer sailing/ learning
Fix anything that needs it ( I hope to head this off by purchasing the nicest boat I can)
Head down the river in the Fall
Stow boat in Tampa where A good friend can check on it for me
Come home for December
Back to the boat in January and make for the Bahamas

I understand there is much involved and to learn but I have no need to work all summer. I have recently scored all the charts/ cruising guides, besides bahamas, I would need to do the Loop. I have the desire and lack the proverbial chains (debt, kids etc.)

So please share your thoughts wisdom advice critique freely. I am willing to listen. I really like the tartans but should you know of or run across anything similar in Great Lakes area for oh less than 10,000$ preferably closer to 5000$ let me know!

Charlie Thursday night still the chat night?

CharlieJ

Quote from: Fischer8504 on May 02, 2016, 10:54:18 AM

Charlie Thursday night still the chat night?

Yes, it is. I may or not make it this week as I will have out of town guests, but it still runs-1930 CST
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

Quote from: Fischer8504 on May 02, 2016, 10:54:18 AM
So please share your thoughts wisdom advice critique freely

Sounds like you have a fine plan. Perhaps a bit ambitious. I've met a lot of people the past few years who buy a boat and plan on just taking off, and it doesn't seem to work too well most of the time. One guy did make it to the Dominican Republic. One wrecked my poor Seafarer, Godot, and is probably lucky he didn't kill himself. Another made it to New York and quit. An older couple just took off from my marina a few weeks ago, knowing nothing. I hope they are OK.

There is nothing inherently difficult about sailing; but there is a lot to know and a fairly steep learning curve, and it is easy enough to get in over your head. Take it slow.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Fischer8504

Adam, I thank you for the thoughtful words of advice. I understand there is much to know. I will take it slow. Yes the Bahamas are my main goal... if I only get to the keys and don't make the jump... so be it.

I use these girls as inspiration... while they grew up going for a sail with there fathers... does not seem they had tons of experience handling their own boat. Then theres also Tania Aebi story proving it's possible.

katieandjessieonaboat.com

I have not read their entire blog yet... I've read their story in Cruising Outpost Magazine. I say to myself they did it why can't I? Perhaps a bit naive but you don't know until you try, I may buy a boat start sailing and discover I don't enjoy it!

Thanks again all!

Godot

I don't intend to be discouraging. Certainly, some folks completely new to the sport have taken right to it and gone on great adventures. I guess I'm just a little sad knowing of all the grand plans that just didn't come to fruition. I'm not immune. Do a search for "The Scoot" and you will find one of my (at least, I think I was the originator...time does a funny thing to memory) grand ideas that sort of fizzled. :-(

New experiences is part of the fun. Too many new, unexpected, scary experiences at once, though, can be overwhelming. Again, I've been there several times. Completely swore off sailing forever, once. But have always come back to the game. Happily, the more experience you get, the fewer interesting experiences you get. If you follow my circular meaning.

So, to recap advice: Take it slow. Build experience gradually. Don't be discouraged when things go wrong. Eventually it all sort of comes together. If at all possible, either take a class or do some sailing with someone with experience. You can certainly teach yourself (my father taught me to sail a Sunfish, everything else I learned on my own); but you will learn faster, and likely learn better habits, by learning from someone with competent  experience.

As to the boat, don't worry too much about getting your perfect boat the first time around. Maybe you will get lucky. More than likely your opinions of what is desirable in a boat will change as you spend more time sailing them. But you will probably be OK for the time being with any reasonably seaworthy hull for a Bahamas trip. I like the Tartan 27; although I've never spent time on one.

As to everything else in life: Thirty years old without obligation seems like an ideal time for an adventure!
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Fischer8504

No worries Adam you were not discouraging and I will not be discouraged. Yes I do follow your advice. Yes I am thinking of taking some classes.  Yes I followed the scoot with envy, constantly looking for a boat scheming on how I could come up with money to join. Never happended.

Yes it is sad when dreams fade and grand ideas fizzle out. Almost bought a Bristol 27 weekender a number of years ago then passed. I realized it was the weekender and not the standard model.  My main point is right now this year I am getting a boat and having some adventures one way or another. I spent my younger years working alot, riding motorcycles, back packing (still do). Now it's time that I'm in a career where I can sorta pick my own hours, that I buy a boat learn the ropes and put some miles under the keel.

As to boats I'm not terribly picky there is a Bristol 24 for sale right now. I would have bought it, in the past with out hesitation. These days I have a significant other and a 4 legged friend that would be aboard as well that's why I'm leaning towards more of a 27 footer. Although I have recently discovered Albin 25 motorboats and honestly they look pretty tempting seeing how I would have to motor a sail boat a large majority of the loop anyhow. Also there is a really nice looking Bayfield 29 for sale near me, priced higher than I want to spend but 5k cheaper than any other I've seen. I'm also thinking something trailer able would be nice. Not take to the lake on the every weekend trailer able but, that can be trailered.

Well I will keep everyone posted as to my boat shopping process. Thank you

DavidCrosby

Brandon,

Here is some food for thought. 

I have fulfilled a part of my dreams by sailing on other people's boats.

In 2009, I found myself out of a job and with 6 months severance pay. I made the best of it and went sailing. I had dreamed of sailing around the world since I was a kid. Life got in the way and the dream went to the back burner. Anyhow, at 45 years old, I finally had a significant chunk of time off with pay to support the family while I acted upon my dreams.

I signed up with Offshore Passage Opportunities and quickly found a boat that was sailing across the Atlantic and needed crew. All I had to do was get myself to and from the boat. All expenses were paid while I was aboard. I did not get paid to crew, but I did not have to pay for food or a place to stay. Along with sailing across the Atlantic (BVI to Scotland) on a 47' very well equipped sailboat with a very experienced crew. I also managed to get the opportunity to crew on a 60' catamaran from St. Maarten to Bermuda and then on to Newport, RI.
By the way, my 14 year old daughter was able to join me for the Transatlantic passage.

As we were leaving the boat in Scotland, we were presented the opportunity to crew on a 70' schooner from Scotland to Norway. I passed on that one, because it was a sailing school for troubled teenage boys. I did not want my teenage daughter living in that environment. Instead, we went back packing for 17 days until our scheduled flight home. We were gone for three months. I spent a total of $3,000. The majority being airfare and that last 17 days in the UK.

Once I was back home and working again, the owner of the 60' catamaran contacted me and asked if I would like to crew for him on a passage from Panama to the Marquesas. I turned him down because I had a job, wife, two daughters, mortgage, etc. However, I have come to the conclusion that you can get around the world on other people's boats.

The big thing is, you must know that you do not get seasick or can manage it. I do get seasick by the way. The first three days are really difficult for me, after that, I am ok. I have done three major ocean passages. I have never missed a watch. This is what the skipper wants. They need reliable crew. You need basic knowledge of sailing and the rules of the road. You will learn as you go. Each passage logged will open the door to others.

Or, as you are suggesting, the Great Loop is a good way to start out. There is a wide variety of boats that are well suited for the loop and they do not have to be the typical SailFar boat. My current boat is a 2002 Catalina 250 WK. It is more than capable of doing the loop and (if I am careful) going to the Bahamas. The loop is in my future. The name of my boat (Small World) is in relation to the downsizing of my dream from sailing around the world to instead doing the Great Loop. Currently, I take advantage of the fact that I can easily trailer my boat from my home in St. Louis to where ever I decide to go.

Go sailing every chance you get. Grasp opportunities to sail with others. Sailors are eager to introduce others to sailing. Experience all sorts of sailboats. Most importantly, follow your dream!

Jim_ME

I figure that if I buy a boat and don't like it, I can always resell it. But if I go out on someone else's boat and don't like it, I could be stuck on that boat for hours (or even longer) before being able to walk away from it.  ;)