Boat Shopping Adventures

Started by Fischer8504, August 08, 2015, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ralay

Grog to Jim.  I don't know why that made me laugh so hard.  We're finally so sick of boat shopping/selling/buying/outfitting, we've stuck with this one for awhile.

w00dy

Likewise, grog to Jim for being hilarious. Also, one for you Godot, for some great advice.

Jim_ME

Thanks, Rachel and James. Closer to the truth than I care to admit. :)

I was thinking of writing something more along the lines of what David wrote, but he both beat me to it and did a better job...

As I've written previously, I'm also a big fan of the Tartan 27. Such an elegant and straightforward design. Its long keel and (cb-up) draft of just over 3 ft would be a great feature especially for the ICW and Bahamas. I really like the interior layout with the settee/quarter berth to starboard and another single berth at the semi-dinette. I expect that it would not be difficult to modify it to be convertible to a double berth when needed (if it isn't already).

Very recently there was a Tartan 27 for sale 50 miles from me (for a very low price) that appeared to need some cosmetics (had some weathered wood trim, etc.) but claimed to be a solid boat. In the few days that I hesitated while trying to rationalize getting it, of course it quickly sold. Ideally I should sell one of my current boats first anyway, so it isn't the end of the world...

Owly055

One of the best strategies is to make friends who own boats..... trailer sailors or boats sitting in the marina.   Because you have none of the ownership expenses, you can afford to cover far more than your share of trip expenses.  Fuel, groceries, transient slip fees, fuel to haul the boat to the water, etc.   The owner has all the ongoing expenses, investment, and depreciation.    For many people the cost of owning a boat gobbles up much of their free case, and other life expenses  leave them feeling that they can't afford to take off for a few days to a few weeks, though they might want to.   Look at all the boats that are sitting in slips and on buoys and seem never to move, sitting there waiting for the day the owner quits paying his monthly fees and they get sold at public auction.    Many people rarely sail merely because they can't get anybody to go with them.  You can plan something weeks or months in advance, and people will gradually drop off by the time you are ready to go, due to various commitments... real or imagined.  Simply letting it be known that you are ready to go at a moment's notice, willing to shuffle your life around a bit to sail, and being known as a good sailing companion / crew, might get you on the water a great deal, perhaps even the places you want to go.