cheap/free Sailing Electronics you can run through PC or laptop

Started by Cyric30, August 11, 2015, 10:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyric30

Ok i know this isent exactly KISS but im curious

What all sailing electronics can be run through a PC or laptop either for free or cheaply that you could replace more expensive setups with.

I Know OpenCPN, for a charts
you can get a antenna dongle for GPS
also believe ive seen something about a USB for AIS?
so what else? anyone know anything?
would be cool to do radar or any number of stuff if it could be done cheaply or free...

and again i know this isent exactly KISS but im curious none the less

Frank

I'm the wrong guy for ANY tech advice...

But I will comment and say that getting one device to do multiple tasks inexpensively IS KISS   ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Until you find yourself relying on that one device, and it takes a dump.

Otherwise, yes
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cyric30

Cj, i agree with you, but the price of a laptop vs. dedicated electronics, means you can have multiple laptops and still be cheaper than dedicated stuff...again, this is just a curiosity thing for me.

ralay

Check out the programs that are included in Navigatrix (http://navigatrix.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=639).  Navigatrix is a Linux distro geared towards sailors and comes with a lot of free software for performing sailorly tasks.  You can install Navigatrix or run it off a flash drive.  I tried both this winter, and it was unusably buggy by both methods.  You may have better luck with your hardware and/or more patience.  Or you can just peruse the software list for inspiration on what sort of extra tasks you might be able to get your computer to complete with the right software/dongles.  For starters, there's a lot you can get your computer to do if you can hook it up to an antenna to receive radio frequencies.  (Email, weather, Ham radio, etc.)

Cyric30

Wow Ralay
thats a heck of a program, unfortunately my Linux use is almost none existent :( , but still looks interesting to play with, and gives me an idea what can be done through a pc......LOL 2.5 GIG....thatll make the ol'isp love me  :D

Cyric30

Update: Ralay...WOW....some this stuff is just Crazy... Email through SSB, weather through Soundcards.....If i only had the brains to understand more of it im sure i would be even more impressed...

CharlieJ

Thread theft- Ralay Talked to James this morning. Glad to hear you guys are back aboard Mona.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

I haven't actually tried any of those programs myself with the exception of OpenCPN and Red Shift.  It would be interesting to be able to receive weather forecasts outside of VHF range and to send/receive email, but it's yet to make it to the top of my priority list.

As for your non-existent Linux use, I wouldn't worry too much.  The user interface is so similar to other operating systems, that you could probably quickly figure it out in a single sitting.  You can also put Navigatrix or other flavors of Linux on a 16G flash drive and run the whole operating system and its programs from the flash drive without needing to install anything on your hard drive.  The flash drive plus a GPS dongle could make any computer into an instant nav station, which is a pretty cool idea.  Hope the bugs get ironed out.

Cyric30

Hum, Ralay
i looks like most the programs are stand alone anyway, so one can pick and chose which you like
As to a dedicated nav station they have the mini PCs down to about a 4x4" cube i seen here awhile back, so given enough USB plugs and a SSD hard drive you could make a very small and easy to use nave setup.... seems like an interesting project. may explore it a bit more

O B/W whats Redshift?

ralay

It adjusts the color balance of your screen with the time of day so you're not being blasted with bluish light after dark.  It helps to preserve your night vision and maybe helps your circadian rhythms.  I run it on my PC all the time.  I think it makes it easier to fall asleep after being on the computer at night.  F.lux is another similar program.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Cyric30 on August 11, 2015, 08:02:26 PM

Update: Ralay...WOW....some this stuff is just Crazy... Email through SSB, weather through Soundcards.....If i only had the brains to understand more of it im sure i would be even more impressed...

Check out this thread:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=1806.msg29157#msg29157

Though I linked to the middle of the thread, where I started showing the weatherfax stuff, going to the beginning is cool, too.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cyric30

Ralay

Thank you for the heads up i had not heard of either of those programs, i'll add them to the growing list of useful stuff im finding

Capn. Smollett

Also thank you for this link. i'll read it tonight and see what ive come up with, ive got a little cube pc i bought awhile back that im going to set Linux up on and try to get this stuff working, i am sure i'll have alot more questions once i get started....

Captain Smollett

Here's another link that might be useful:

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=3514.msg38519#msg38519

Note that that pdf file might be WAY out of date (NWS does change that schedule from time to time).  I'll try to check it this week and update if needed.

I never did get to the other broadcasts list...sorry.

Also, here's a useful link for general listening (not related to WX):

http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=23846

Move the green dot on the map to your location to get a more accurate list in regard to the predicted 'signal meter.'

I enjoy listening to English Language new broadcasts from other countries as they are very, very different from how the world news is presented here.  Also, my daughter is using French broadcasts these days to hone her French skills.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cyric30

Thanks for some more info Capn. Smollett, i really hope i can get some this working. when i get all the stuff together.

cap-couillon

Another vote  for Navigatrix... Been running it as my primary operating system for several years now. While linux can be a bit daunting to start out, it is really (IMHOP) much more flexible in the long run than the offerings out of Window$ (r)

Nx has more stuff packed in there than you will ever use, but one never knows... The support is via the Nx community who are 99% active cruisers and usually pretty direct. Not your momma's I-Pad app but fun to play with and you can install along side your current OS while you figure it out.

When I get anchored up in Boot Key, will be happy to burn a live USB stick for any that can't download the 2.5g iso. (It is a chunk) PM for details.
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com