Started by Frank, August 23, 2015, 03:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

You would have to go a little further north; ;)

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

And from what I read, already iced over
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

stumpy

Lewis and Clark didn't have much luck finding it ;-).  That being said, if a person had a reasonably sized pocket cruiser with shallow/moderate draft it could be done with a little portage' action.
Getting from the Great Lakes to the Missouri River system might/might not require a short haul on a trailer (not my part of the country so I'm unfamiliar).  With a little research and planning regarding river flow and water levels  a run up the Missouri into Montana would be next.  Then hire a truck to haul you a couple hundred miles across western Montana to Lewiston, Idaho.  From there the Snake River has navigational locks at the three dams between Lewiston and it's confluence with the Columbia River at Tri-Cities.  Then down the Columbia through several dams/locks, past Portland, OR, and across the Columbia Bar and into the Pacific, turn right, and in a couple o' days you're happily sailing upon the Salish Sea (PNW).  Piece o' cake...

jotruk

you might check out the book Water Horse by William Least Heat Moon. He made it from New York City to the pacific ocean in Washington good read and he only had to portage about 200 miles.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

cliffdwellers2

Love the pics! We are heading up to the PNW this summer in our 19' West Wight Potter and 2 kayaks.

Frank

you'll have a hoot!!

Enjoy yourself!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men