News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

23ft in the PNW

Started by Frank, August 23, 2015, 03:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

The 23PH is waiting in Pender Harbour about 70 miles N of Vancouver for me after towing her west in April. My flight is booked for Set. 20th so I'm going over my "list" of to-do's.  I hope to put 2 of the largest fuel cans possible in the aft cockpit storage (vented and drains overboard. It is about 14in (max) wide x 14in (max) high x 19in long.  seems impossible to get 2 5 or 6 gallon cans to fit. I know 2- 3gallon cans will...but where I'll be going there are not a lot of fuel stops. Has anyone came across a 4 gallon? the extra few gallons along would be great and I don't want to tie tanks off to the lifelines...

Looking forward to getting back to the "simple life" aboard

Here's a pic of the locker and an old pic from the Abacos.   Next pic will have mountains behind her   ;D
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

lance on cloud nine

standing by. looking forward to hearing all about this!
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Tim

Frank, you are going to have FUN!

I only wish that I could be up there also. But issues of taking care of my aging Mom are going to keep us here most of the time. We instead are going to take a couple of weeks down on Lake Powell with the C-Dory.
Looking forward to the reports.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

will be using an engel refridge-cooler while away. Noticed that one end has 'wrap around' cooling coils and the other just the sides. Thinking that I'll put a 1-1/2 inch foam 'wall' about 8 inchs in as a divider in hopes that the 'wrap around' end...now only 8 inchs into the cooler...will freeze and the rest not...if I get the setting "just right". Will be a cheap experiment that may render a nice little freezer section for chicken breasts, small steaks etc while in the Broughtons where provisions are next to non existent in the fall.
Has anyone tried this before?

s/v Faith

What an awesome trip! 

I never "segregated" any of my Engels, but my MT27 was deep enough that with my 1/2" closed cell foam "blanket" under the lid, I could set it just over '1' to slightly higher and stuff right next to the plates will freeze while bottles of beer in the bottom hover above freezing.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Packing today....my carry on will be the few cloths I take...my checked bag will be full of boat items. Had to take a few things out to make 50lbs.
Drive to Ottawa tomorrow and get a room as the flight is at 6am! Land in Vancouver at (am (3hr time change) Spend a few days sorting out things, getting a diesel heater put in and hope to launch on the 26th if all goes well.
Looking forward to this cruise. Will be nice to gunk hole around in a small-shallow draft boat.
I've done a couple of mods but will wait until they are complete when I'm out there to post pictures.

I've said before and I'm sure Tim will back me up....if the PNW is anywhere within your trailering range....go for it. Simply beautiful!

Frank

We hauled the boat from storage to my friends house. So nice to do things in a driveway with tools and not the back 40 of a storage yard......rum is closer too. :)
Takes a day just to go through and see what ya have and what,s needed. I'm sure we are all the same and forget what's aboard.
Lots of projects the next few days....fun stuff. Still hoping for a Saturday launch.
....."hoping"..........

CapnK

Looking forward to hearing the lies stories! ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Well....capt K.....the lie is I launched and everything went perfect yesterday!!

Reality is.....stepped the mast...put it in....although new batteries...just made that clicking sound as if a dead battery. Tried a ton of ideas....no go.

Hauled out...took down the mast...parked boat/trailer....drove back to friends house and drank rum.

I had this notion that the key felt funny. No biggie as it only allows you to press the start button (old style diesel panel....push button start...pull out knob to kil)

Returned slightly hung over....pulled apart dash....found loose wire....put boat in before stepping mast....It Started!!!!
Pulled out....stepped mast...launched again....went to a friends dock to rig. Finished rigging about 10.30am....left from Pender Harbour and made Powell river at dusk.

Got a spanking from about 4-6pm but then it laid down nicely. Wind-waves right on the nose!! Had to motor the whole way.

Funny how many little things ya need. Have my shopping list for tomorrow. 12volt plug to charge the IPad...splitter for the lighter socket to run 2 devices...tranny fluid...stern light bulb....ya know...1st run stuff.

Down day tomorrow here doing final prep. Desolation sound the next!!!

Really love it out here.

I should really note the kindness of friends!!! John and Marian...fellow boaters that got me into this PNW cruising on their boat about 8 yrs ago...have been unbelievable helpful and kind!!! I stayed at their home as I did oil change, cleaned, added things and all the normal pre cruise stuff with the boat in their driveway!! I flew in...so John has been trailering the boat from storage to his house to the ramp. I couldn't imagine nicer friends!!! Kinda like southern hospitality but in the PNW. Super folks!!!

PS.....the engine is a 12hp westerbeke twin. Like others....westerbeke "marinizes" engines built by others. This lil 12hp is based on a Mitsubishi engine.

Frank

Frank

A problem with the 23PH is a passenger can't see out while seated. If sitting on the table, there is no back support. So...I came up with this...
An easily stowed table leg that attaches quickly with a simple table bracket to support the weight of a passenger. Then...a folding boat seat. I put a plywood base on for an even surface and glued that none skid stuff to it.
Both pieces stow well and go up easily. Remove the forward seat cushion for foot support and there's another seat with full view.

Tim

Such the clever guy, keep the photos coming
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Left Powell River in fog today. Cleared up by the time I passed Lund (Lund hotel in pic)

Frank

Kept on going up through desolation sound to anchor in Melanie cove.

Frank

Fog rolled in this morning. Waited until 11.30 to head out. Had tons of jelly fish around as I wayed anchor. Easy day.....cruised to Cortez Bay.
Hard not to feel blessed....the scenery is so nice out here.
Quiet night.
Van Morrison on....wine in hand....life is good

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on October 01, 2015, 09:23:30 PM
Van Morrison on....wine in hand....life is good
Ah...Van..."Born to Cruise, No Plan B"...  :)

Frank

Ain't Van great!!
Listening to Robbie Robetson now
Spent 3 days around Cortez Isl....2 at Gorge Harbor.
Sailed to Heriot Bay on Quadra Isl this morning....sunny and calm

there are 2 bald eagles on the top right side of the rock....just left of the bush

Frank

Sure is pretty leaving Gorge Harbor...

Frank

A friend just emailed this picture of the little ship leaving Gorge Harbor a few days ago.
Still sunny today

Frank

Anchored in Melanie cove again....one of my favorites