23ft in the PNW

Started by Frank, August 23, 2015, 03:41:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

A walk in the woods feels like a rain forest at times
The leaves sure are bigger than home...
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Tim

Are you going to head up Homfray Channel? The Homfray Lodge is a nice place to pull in.

Or maybe Pendrell Sound? Beautiful spots.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

speaking of beauty.....

this was this afternoon

Frank

the little ship is anchored to do a little fishing.
1 ling cod and 2 rock cod.
guess whats for dinner tonight  :-)

Frank

Time marchs on.....

Doug is flying in
I worked with him back in 1976. We were both getting our 1st homes, serious relationships...you know...that stage of life. Then we started sailing on a friends boat about 1977. It was in 1980, we both bought our 1st sailboats...I had a blue 17ft Siren....he bought an orange one. With the little cabin...we thought we had yachts! We'd go out on Lake Huron in stuff we shouldn't have. Ignorance truly is bliss. We even played industrial hockey on the same team for years. Funny...you make friends all your life....but the ones that go back to those formative years are special. There always seems a bond there.

SeaHusky

Just looked at a map. I had no idea you had such a beautiful, "norwegian" area!
Does it rain 330 days a year?
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Frank

Not quite  :-)

I just looked it up and Cortez Island that I was just at has 186 days of rain and averages 54 inchs.

Frank

pulled into Lund yesterday only to meet up with 2 other crews out cruising. A few too many rum's later we called it a night  :-)

Sailed to Powell River today and stocked up a bit as my buddy shows here tomorrow.

We've had sun for over a week but just as he shows....so does the remnants of Hurricane Ono with rain and 25-35knt winds! Oh well....adjust cruise accordingly...

Thought I'd post a simple but effective mod to get a window fan for keeping the moisture off while running. Not pretty...but I had the fan (gosh these are quiet and easy on batteries) and scrap aluminium to bend up a bracket. It had to be removable to be able to replace batteries... Simple defroster  :-)

Tim

Nice fan Frank. I just purchased a similar one but it wires into the 12volt, but draws very little (3.4w). Yours though has the advantage of being portable if you wanted to use it somewhere else. I have gone to dry cell battery operation on most of the devices on my sailboats, but the C-Dory does such a great job of keeping my two G27 Deep Cells charged I feel I don't need to on it.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

No doubt.

I put 2 new G27's in this year before heading out. Ya have to love cooler climates... With the engel on enough to freeze (set at 2) and LED lighting...after 2 days at anchor I'm still showing 12.6 !!
That wouldn't happen in the Bahamas with the Engel working harder.

I had that lil fan for years and figured it was a cheap/easy way to make a defroster for the windshield. Couldn't see any way of running wire without it being exposed.

PS...these lil fans really are super quiet and extremely long lasting on battery power.....extremely long lasting!!

Frank

I hate wiring and am terrible at anything that is electronic. Much happier with wrenches or saw in hand.
So...I'm kinda proud that I installed the autopilot myself! It is basically a power boat wheel unit (not belt driven like sailboat wheel units)
You loose a bit of room as the wheel moves aft...but SO nice singlehanding!
Installed an hour meter while at it.
The little dash is now FULL!!!  :-)

Tim

W.A. Ward

lance on cloud nine

very beautiful area! thank you for the updates. I really enjoy them.
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Frank

After good sun for this time of year....the rain and wind showed thanks to the tail end of hurricane Olo or Oho.....should have been OH NO

Has the lil 23 surfing with the right waves into the 7's....then 8's.  Max showing on gps after anchoring was 8.6. Was fun......but a downwind handfull. I was happy to settle and have a rum.

Dragged anchor that night..... 1st time in years. Why does it always happen in pitch black?     :)

Great day today

More sun tomorrow

Frank

After 2 gusty nights anchored at Melanie cove, we spent last night on the dock at Gorge....crossed today and tied up at Heriot bay.

Gives "vinyl siding" a whole new meaning !   :)

Tim

Are you at Heriot Bay Inn? If a North Westerly is blowing, around the corner at "Taku" is better. Lots to see on Quadra.
I really liked Gorge, the food was excellent at the restaurant, and we took a walk over to Manson's Landing.

W.A. Ward

Frank

Yep....we're at the Inn/marina. Had lunch there but cooked fish on the boat. The "funkie local" live aboards are in at the docks for the winter. Neat group.
I've been at Gorge several times, Cortez bay twice but never Mansions landing. Will put it on the list. Lund tomorrow....

Frank

Doug flew out this morning.
As I'm sitting here reflecting on the past week and our conversations, it is clear that "good old friends" truly are special. Although we have kept in touch, we haven't seen each other in several years...but we picked back up as if we had gotten together a few days earlier. True friendships are like that.
He loved the west coast and the mini cruise we took.
It was sad to see him go.
If you have any "good old friends".....give them a call. You'll both feel better you did.

PS...he brought along a few pictures of back 35 years ago when we both sailed 17ft Siren's. Geez....I was lean, toned and tanned. Aging isn't for the weak :-)

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Looks like a real nice place & peaceful place.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on October 16, 2015, 01:05:02 PM
Doug flew out this morning.
As I'm sitting here reflecting on the past week and our conversations, it is clear that "good old friends" truly are special. ...
He loved the west coast and the mini cruise we took.
It was sad to see him go.
Must have been a wonderful--and as you wrote, bittersweet--experience.
Grog to you, Frank.