Seeker cruise 2015 and Joaquin.

Started by Godot, September 30, 2015, 08:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Godot

I'm anchored in the Rhode River at the beginning of my annual vacation. This weekend the SSCA has their gam here which is generally a good time.

It's rainy and windy. And It looks like  hurricane Joaquin is going to force me to return home as early as tomorrow morning.

I'm hoping something happens to change the forecast tonight; but I'm not optimistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CharlieJ

Sure doesn't look promising. Take care.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Godot

Turned out ok. I nervously stuck it out and Joaquin happily went out to sea. I feel sympathy for those whom Joaquin did not treat so well.

The Gam was fun, if a little wet. Lin Pardey was the keynote speaker. Dave Skolnick (Auspicious) gave what appeared to be an interesting seminar on communications, though I left early into it due to an emergency on another boat. Other seminars where informative. But mostly I enjoyed the camaraderie with other sailors. Once again I was the smallest boat in harbor. Funny, Seeker still doesn't seem small to me (except, of course, when trying to stow everything).

There was a very near sinking of one sailboat and the response of the gam attendees was impressive. There was a call to the coast guard for assistance. They weren't helpful and instructed us to get off the boat and let it sink. Didn't happen. It took awhile to get towboatUS to respond as well as they wanted a salvage agreement before dispatching. Once  they finally left their dock it took about an hour for them to arrive. By that time the boat (which was at one point waist deep full of water and a very few minutes from going down) was saved, although I suspect it is going to spend quite some time in the boatyard. Check your thruhulls!

It is sunny and calm. I'll be heading out soon. I'm not quite sure where I'll end up yet. Probably going to be a lot of motoring. It's ok, though. The batteries could use some topping up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay