News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Protecting and Storing Tools on Board

Started by CalamityJack, October 18, 2015, 01:45:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalamityJack

How do you folks keep your tools from rusting? Is there a sticky oil spray? Are there drainage holes in your toolbox? Where do you store your tools? Do you have a vice on board? What's in your toolbox? How big is your toolbox? Do you carry electric tools?

Capt. Tony

Well, I can't speak from experience, but, if memory serves me, Larry Pardey would wipe his on board collection with WD-40 before storing them in a stainless steel serving pan that he converted into a drawer in Taliesen's "work shop", under their cockpit.  That would help prevent corrosion.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. 

I also recall an article from one of the glossy monthlys about 10 years ago that showed how to convert 12V battery powered tools to draw from your on board 12 volt supply.  I have given that some serious thought for the one 12volt DeWalt drill I have left over from yesteryear given it just doesn't make sense to power a converter to recharge a power tool.  (I wish all the 18V power tools I have were 12V)

A nice hardwood tool box would be a nice find, but, in the end I'll probably have to rely on one of the plastic boxes offered out there.  The only good thing about that is the offering of plastic cases has come a long way in the last 5-10 years as far as design and quality if you shop around.  Unfortunately, there is still a lot of plastic "junk" out there that will out last all of us..

I think a small vice is almost a must if one is handy and inclined to do most of your own repair work.  Mounting one is the real trick.  So far the best idea I've seen is a setee hatch with the vise mounted on one side, and you just flip the hatch over, lock it in place, and get busy.  which is great as long as you aren't working on long pieces on a small boat!

I am looking forward to reading other responses to your question as I feel the desire to bring my entire shop with us and I don't know how to pare down lot.

Norman

18 volt tools at 12 volts.

I once used a 120 volt ac drill at 12 volt DC from my car battery.  It had less than half normal power, but WAY more than a hand drill.  AC impedance is much higher than DC resistance, so the difference is greater in this case.

An 18 volt DC device at 12 volts DC would draw higher current than normal, due to lower speed, but produce 2/3 or more of its rated power.  Due to the lower speed, it would tend to get hotter, so need a "rest" to cool from time to time.  Resistance is constant in DC motors, but impedance rises with RPM, so a motor running at less than rated RPM draws higher than normal current.  The equation is a bit more complicated than that, but performance is close to this simplification.

Variable speed devices may or may not work due to the characteristics of the electronics.  They should not have the temperature problems of a single speed device.

CharlieJ

I wired a Makita 9.2 volt with a car
Plug. Worked quite well til it got wet and corroded. i have another at the house I intend to do the same with
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CalamityJack

Thanks folks, The vice idea is really good. As for power tools, would it make sense to buy 12v tools assuming you would plug them into the house bank sooner or later anyway?

CharlieJ

I have 9.6 V Makita have wired for 12 v. Worked well.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

yachtsailing.gr

It is not more than a week we have maintained our yachts toolboxes. Once a year, we remove all tools out, a good rince with water and soap to remove as more salt as possible and some rust-remover solution (http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2881.msg49895#msg49895) to remove rust bits. After all these a good wipe is required and a film of WD40 is applied.  We leave them to evaporate as more as possible (about 2-3 hours) and then wipe the rest. The result after a full season inside the boat is really amazing. Nothing more than some rust bits and salt because of use. 

Our biggest problem is the wire cutter! Whatever we have done, rust is coming back! Our last year try was to clean it as the other tools and after applying the WD40 film to wrap it in nylon. It seems to be the best solution until now. Any other Suggestions?

lastgreatgeneration

So, here's something of interest. I have one o those canvas tool bags. On my last boat the white canvas started to mold. I thought, what a stupid idea. So I bought 2 toilet beeswax rings at the hardware store, liberally rubbed it inside and out of the bag. Then I used one of those mr shrink propane heat  guns and the canvas soaked up the wax. No more mold!

As for tools, last week I went through all of them and gave them a thin coating of wd-40 and a rag soaked in it. They are kept under the port setee and it's very damp but they seem to be holding up ok.