News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Westerbeke vs Beta

Started by Frank, November 15, 2015, 12:32:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Earlier tonight I finshed struggling with both the oil filter....about a 7 on the aggravation scale, and thought it best to replace the impeller....a solid 10+ on the same scale.

My lil 14hp Westerbeke is a marinized Mitsubishi twn, While I have NO doubt it is a fine lil engine...GEE WHIZ.....can they make it any more difficult to service? I'm sure on a small tractor or generator with easy access it would be fine....but tucked into a small sailboat cavity...the back-lower left mounts are a nightmare!!

Beta, on the other hand...has chosen to relocate the oil filter up front...AND the water pump as well! TOO EASY!!

What would have been a 20 minute job on the Beta (drain oil...change impeller as its draining...switch oil filter...add new oil) was a 2+ hour totally frustrating, bloody knuckled affair with the Westerbeke!!!

Add the fact that Beta uses Kubota engines (I love my tractor back home....super dependable) and if I ever...ever have a choice again....it will be Beta powered!!!

End of rant!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Norman

Easier than changing the engine, install a remote oil filter kit.  A plate screws on in place of the filter, a filter holder is installed at YOUR choice of convenience, and two high pressure hydraulic lines connected between them.

The Kubota is an outstanding example of an engine designed to be serviced, and would be a first choice if installing new.  Is your Westerbeke 2 cylinder?  The added smoothness of the second cylinder is a big plus for noise and vibration reduction.  I have found that sleeping on a single cylinder diesel under power on my off watch was near impossible, especially on the trips that I slept in a berth beside the engine.  The owner had the V berth!

I have very much enjoyed following your voyage in the PNW.  With the 15 gallons of fuel you presently have on board, what is your zero wind and tide range?

Frank

You can see from the pictures....tthis is a 23ft boat, small head, small opening. The oil filter although tuff to get leverage on is only aggrivating.
As you can see...to get the aft facing plate off the water pump housing to change the impeller...both the dip stick AND oil filter have to be off to even get a screw driver (must be a stubby) at it!!! The far 3 screws are out of sight with the oil filter on!! All at the worst angle through a small opening while reaching over the head. I actually unbolted the head to get an extra 2 or 3 inchs room. PS...my finger is pointing to the aft facing "plate"
PSS...there is more than 100 hrs on the boat. I put the hour meter on before leaving this year. Funny thery weren't standard....

BETA rules!!! ;D ;D

Norman

Exchange those water pump screws for bolts next time, much easier to get a socket engaged, and not burr anything up!  Don't wait till the screws have stripped slots.  I dislike screws for anything that has to be serviced regularly.  Later, when corrosion occurs, more torque can be achieved to break a bolt loose.

That is a mess to get in to!

CharlieJ

Not just small boats- Once had to replace shaft packing in a customers Irwin 47. Access was through a hanging locker in aft cabin, with a sill at my chest, and the packing 3 feet down.

Also had to lay a packing blanket over top of engine so I could lay over and even REACH

Many boats just are NOT built for simple maintenance

And don't even let me START on the Irwin 37, center cockpit!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Quote from: Norman on November 15, 2015, 09:16:43 PM
Exchange those water pump screws for bolts next time, much easier to get a socket engaged, and not burr anything up!  Don't wait till the screws have stripped slots.  I dislike screws for anything that has to be serviced regularly.  Later, when corrosion occurs, more torque can be achieved to break a bolt loose.

That is a mess to get in to!

Very good suggestion Norman
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Really good idea!!!!
Would be SO much easier to put a socket on than try an get torque on a d#%& slotted head!

Grog to ya

Sunset

I have a Beta 20 with transmission, 3 blade prop, wiring harness and control panel, if anyone is interested. It has only 160 hours on it. Its an 2006 and I bought it in 2011 for a project that's not going to get done.
84 Islander 28

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunset

I had a Beta 20, it sold yesterday.
84 Islander 28