Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Winter projects

Started by Pegu Club, January 13, 2016, 11:16:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Quote from: Pegu Club on April 06, 2016, 09:03:44 AM
Woody thats a darn nice looking boat, what is she?
Glad to here your fingers are working after the excitement, :)

They may be underway and not online-so-

Mona is a Westsail 32 Ralay and W00dy have pretty well re built, while living aboard her.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Here's a couple of pics of part of the "during"
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pegu Club

Wow! thats one heck of a job, and well done.
1977 Bristol 29.9 hull #17
A slave to the wind.
The blog, www.adventuresontheclub.com

Bob J (ex-misfits)

That is definitely a project. God love ya!
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Pegu Club

Another update, all four new Groco 1 1/2" seacocks, thru-hulls, and backing blocks are installed. We as well installed a new exhaust hose, installed all the new drain hoses for the cockpit drains and galley, the head will be done tomorrow we hope :). The first two coats of barrier paint go on tomorrow, the new lettering for the name on the stern is on the agenda as well.
Hope all is going well for all of you.
A slave to the wind.

CharlieJ

Good luck- fixed that problem. Took every single thru hull out(below waterline) and glassed over the holes.

I sleep peacefully:)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Congrats on the progress. Keep it up...the good weather is here!

ralay

Your mention of sink drains reminded me...I replaced our aging valley sink hose and sink drain this winter when I redid the counter.  The PO had used a regular chromed steel sink tailpipe.  It had a solid salt water connection to the bronze thruhull.  It was shiny on the outside but crumbled as soon as I grabbed it.  I replaced it with and outrageously priced marelon drain piece with a hose barb.  So this is a PSA reminder not to be tempted to use regular sink parts. 

Pegu Club

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 16, 2016, 10:58:58 PM
Good luck- fixed that problem. Took every single thru hull out(below waterline) and glassed over the holes.

I sleep peacefully:)

We had eleven thru hulls when we bought the boat, we removed four and glassed them in, we currently have two sink drains, two cockpit drains, a raw water intake, and a depth and speed thru hulls. In the future we will likely remove the speed and depth thru hulls, and use a shoot through depth gauge, and our garmins for speed, always more work to do :)
A slave to the wind.

Godot

I'm looking to do the same. Seal up the head in and out thru-hulls (no longer used with the advent of the composter), remove the speed (never works all that well, anyhow) and depth thru-hulls and seal them up. Shoot thru hull seems to work well enough to justify removing a sink-the-boat point. I'll still have two sink thru-hulls, one wash down pump thru-hull (I really like that one), engine intake and the two cockpit drains. It's hard to get rid of all of them!

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

ralay

Charlie, what do you do for your galley sink?  Do you have a lift out one?  Or a graywater tank with an above the water pump out? 

CharlieJ

It's a stainless steam table tray, and lifts out to dump
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Do you have trouble keeping water from getting under the sink?  Do you use it underway?  And how many pieces of silverware have you dumped out? ;D

CharlieJ

:)

Never have had that trouble that I know of. The edges sit on a raised lip made of teak

Have used it underway, yes. Not all that often though

None that I know of. If so,, only one or two.

Nice part is I can take it into the cockpit to use on nice warm days, and I do carry an exact duplicate stowed away in case the sink itself gets dropped :) By the way, the restaurant supply place sells them for $18.50

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pegu Club

CharlieJ, your sink set up is frankly ingenious, gotta love the price :)
A slave to the wind.

Bubba the Pirate

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 23, 2016, 07:02:43 PM
:)

Never have had that trouble that I know of. The edges sit on a raised lip made of teak

Have used it underway, yes. Not all that often though

None that I know of. If so,, only one or two.

Nice part is I can take it into the cockpit to use on nice warm days, and I do carry an exact duplicate stowed away in case the sink itself gets dropped :) By the way, the restaurant supply place sells them for $18.50

Grog for that!!!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pegu Club

It's not winter any more but... Our bottom job is done, only have to put the ablative paint where the popits are, and that will be done this up coming wednsday. It's been a long haul, the boat gets splashed this up coming Friday. Me and my lovely wife have been uber busy since last August, it is about to pay off, could not be happier. :)
We hope all is going well for all of you.
A slave to the wind.

Godot

This has not been a good year for boat projects for some reason. Most winters I spend much more time on the boat. This year, not so much.

However, the cabinetry and extension for the bunk are pretty much finished. I still need to build drawers. And new cushions.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Pegu Club

Up date, we splashed this morning !!! 😄 Very happy 😄

Hope all is going well for all of you.
A slave to the wind.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Quote from: Pegu Club on May 06, 2016, 02:07:51 PM
Up date, we splashed this morning !!! 😄 Very happy 😄

Congratulations!  Guess this means you're spending the weekend on the boat :)

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!