AC Ground with no motor?...

Started by sqelix, February 01, 2016, 11:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sqelix

Hello All,
Trying to update my AC system (I have a small PS Flicka). I want to get an ELCI to AC breaker to Gfci and Charger. However, everything on the net says (even Don Caseys book!) that the Ground (green) needs to go to ground on the motor. I have no inboard, what do I do?

Aaron
Berkeley

Bob J (ex-misfits)

They make grounding plates that you can attach to the bottom of the hull. Connect the ground to one of the fastening bolts inside? That's all that comes to mind anyway...
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

s/v Faith

Welcome Aaron, are you in Berkley or is that your name?

Either way, glad you found us.   :)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Norman

Welcome to this board!  Plenty of experience here, some have owned Flicka's.

Since you have no motor or grounded electrical system, the new equipment IS your whole system.

Green should tie to the housing of your charger and the box or panel containing the ground fault interrupter.  Do you have a switch before the GFCI?  The box containing the switch should also tie to the green.  A switch before the GFCI could be in the same box as the GFCI, and would function as your safety cutoff for all AC devices on board.  Such a switch is very desire able, if not mandatory.  Be sure to use a marine grade switch and GFCI, others will corrode quickly.  If something goes wrong on the AC system, one switch that de energizes EVERY THING can be a life saver.

Be careful to keep white and green separate, as the GFCI will not function correctly if they are tied.

Your Flicka probably has bronze through hulls and valves.  On boats with inboard engines, each of these are tied to the green wire and the ground plate on the outside of the hull.  Yours most likely have not been bonded together, and need not be, if no external ground plate.

What is the hull number and home port of your Flicka? 

Norman