News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bubba the Pirate Blog

Started by Bubba the Pirate, February 06, 2016, 02:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba the Pirate

I posted a couple blogs. The NY2Panama trip had never been fully reported and I needed to get caught up to recent news.  The most relevant post is the last one.  I have not been a regular correspondent but now I will have lots to talk about.  Stay tuned for more.

The strange story of buying a Westsail 32 (I think a helluva a deal):
http://bubbathepirate.blogspot.com/2016/01/just-like-that-shes-mine.html
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lastgreatgeneration

Bubba the Pirate

Here's a couple more: 

I've named her and I put in a composting toilet; a temporary installation for the move to the boatyard where the real work will happen.

http://www.bubbathepirate.com/2016/03/emma-g.html

http://www.bubbathepirate.com/2016/03/going-to-heck-in-bucket-baby.html
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

second link is broken, but if you click on the column on the right, it's there
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

That's funny, if you read the link closely, I think there is autocorrect for cusswords. The link says 'heck' instead of "H E Double Toothpicks."  I pasted the link from "Copy link location."

I love it!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

Yep and it won't let me fix it. The correction happens during the posting. 

So, if you have virgin eyes, don't go to my blog, it will display correctly.  :o)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

It does take you to your blog. Then if you go to blog archive and click on March 2, it loads correctly

And yes, the site does do auto correct on words like that
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Bad address. Try it again.

QuoteEdit: Fixed by me and Frankeh. :D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

jotruk

Very good up date on the boat. I really enjoyed reading it.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

jotruk

Very good write up really enjoyed. looking farward to more pic and another write up.
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

Bubba the Pirate

Here's one not-very-dramatic, none-too-clear picture. I was afraid the batteries might have self discharged as it was so long since I bought them. At least a month and a half ago, I thought I would have some time to install them and bought the batteries. The last job, which was a terrible time sponge, kept me from getting them aboard until a couple weeks ago. I switched jobs and finally got them wired together. 4 6-volt golf cart batteries into a 12v bank. The batteries are fine! Tomorrow I'll test the solar panels and try to get them hooked up. Worst case scenario, I have a little trickle charge solar unit from Harbor Freight that I would trust leaving alone for a week or so.

BTW, this is a temporary set up to get me to Fort Pierce. I will construct a proper battery box once I'm there with the rest of the refit.

I'm really thinking about installing an electric motor a la Sailing Uma. So I might end up with another battery bank.

Link to Sailing Uma's Electro Beke page:
http://www.sailinguma.com/electro-beke/#why-electric

Finally some positive progress (pun intended)

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

Not a blog post yet, but tomorrow 10:00a we are getting towed out past Key Biscayne into the Straits of Florida to make the sail to Fort Pierce. I'll be on the hard in Riverside Marina for about a year and a half. 
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

Made the trip! Left Dinner Key at 11:00a Wednesday and got to the Fort Pierce jetty at 8:00a Thursday. Had to get towed out and then towed in as we have no engine. sv Emma will be on the hard in Fort Pierce for a year or so.

It was a glorious trip offshore. Wonderful sailing, beam reach most of the way. I had a buddy from Canada aboard as crew. He was a great help and good company. Approx 120 miles from the last marker out to the first marker in; 21 hours thanks to the Gulf Stream.

Blog post to follow.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frank

Great!!

I'm sure it felt good to feel her under sail!!!

That'll keep ya motivated when your sanding n painting :-)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ralay

How did you arrange the tows?

Bubba the Pirate

I have Towboat/US Unlimited. Money well spent in my opinion, however, TB/US HQ determined that the tow 'out' was not an emergency and therefore not covered. Part of that was I'm too honest but I'm good with that too. They decided since I bought a boat with no engine, I knew ahead of time and their service was for emergencies. I am going to reread what I bought. The tow in was about 2/3 the distance of out and was covered.

The tow out was $400. Nevertheless, I would have had to get out of the deep side of the mooring field, cross Biscayne Bay, and choose one of two channels to get out to open water under sail, mostly upwind  ... under sail. I was happy to pay for the tow and have a good start to a long day/night of sailing.

It was a glorious sail; totally worth the money.

Specifically, 'out' was arranged by phone a week ahead, 'in' was called in to TB/HQ from the water. We made one circle around the first markers, out into deeper water and back, and the tow arrived already.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~