Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

This is actually the fifth post since the last one reported here. Most current being most relevant now perhaps anyway.

http://www.bubbathepirate.com/2016/12/patience-grasshopper.html
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ralay

" Realistically, comparing how well equipped an unknown used boat might be with the funds I might invest in Emma?s refit is just apples and oranges. There are so many potential hidden problems on a used boat that any comparison without a close look or a real survey is empty conjecture."

Those lines ring true to me.  All the boats look great when you're just looking at ads.  It's something like conflating people's dating site profiles with real people. 

Is your boat named for Emma Goldman?  I remember seeing Goldman on your blog but was too slow to put to and two together.

Bubba the Pirate

Yes, Emma Goldman is her namesake.

I really like the dating site profile comparison; quite true.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ralay

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

So, it will become obvious if you click through, but I found such a good deal on a diesel that I am *not* going electric. Electric propulsion was always more philosophical than practical on a boat that displaces 19,500# but I kept trying to make the math work out. In the end, as you'll see on the blog, I found a good deal on a beautifully rebuilt Perkins 4.108.  Basically, what I was always thinking for diesel anyway.

http://www.bubbathepirate.com/2017/02/emmas-engine-emmas-engine.html
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

w00dy

Glad to hear you've got the beginnings of a solid engine setup. Having  an adequately powered, reliable engine can make a huge difference in you cruising experience. It will generate electricity and can allow freedom and flexibility from the vagaries of wind, waves and currents. If you find yourself dragging in storm winds, you'll have the option of self rescuing under your own power, as opposed to frantically beating off a Lee shore. The 4-108 is said to be the best fit for the W32. Hope it all comes together for you!

Bubba the Pirate

Belated: thanks, Woody.

And ... the countdown begins!

In three months, I will quit truckdriving and spend 4 or 5 months of just boatwork.

I've committed to having Emma back in the water by May Day 2018. The interior will likely not be completely up to snuff(who is ever 'done'), but she'll be seaworthy, legal and safe.

The blog will be more regular once I'm off the road.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

Actually, there are 4 new posts at http://www.bubbathepirate.com

Mostly, spinning yarns. I did pick up a 3 burner Eno stove with an oven, propane.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

I have posted a first draft of "Joining Emma for a Cruise" page for "friends and interesting strangers."

I'd love responses and suggestions.

http://www.bubbathepirate.com/p/joining-emma-for-cruise.html
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ralay

It's good advice.  Sometimes I just tell people: "If you like camping, you might like this.  If you don't like camping, you're probably going to have a rough time."

We're pretty open to hosting people, but it happens rarely.  Most folks need to ask off work/buy plane tickets months ahead of time and it's no wonder they feel uneasy betting their money and vacation time on a boat that may or may not be somewhere at that time.  It inevitably takes effort and inconvenience on both sides to make it happen. 

It works best with family and friends that you'd happily be somewhat inconvenienced for.  Personally, I'd also like them to have a good time, which probably means coming for easy inland sailing with anchorages at night.  There are a LOT of people who get seasick offshore or even inland in rough conditions.

The idea of having folks come with us to share expenses and help with offshore passages sounds good to me, but I'm pretty wary.  The type of sober, responsible, reserved people I'd most want to have with me offshore are the least likely to respond to an invitation from a stranger on a strange boat.  I wouldn't pay to travel to sail with anyone whose skill and boat condition I couldn't verify beforehand and I'm mistrustful of folks who would. 

If we're going to host strangers, I'd prefer it to be local strangers.  That way we can meet, sail, and try each other out without anyone being out plane fare if it doesn't work. 

lance on cloud nine

that is a well written blog post Bubba! It is always hard to know who will enjoy cruising when you first meet them. I have had several pleasant surprises.
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Bubba the Pirate

Yes, I think it will be more friends or family than strangers. I can't decide how much I'm willing to be inconvenienced, but I plan to be farther afield for much of the time. We'll see how much I can earn while I'm out there. If I can eat and cover the minimum necessary, I may be in Central and South America indefinitely.

Thank you for the comments.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

Just spent the weekend in Annapolis for a couple seminars by 59 North Sailing. Sailors would enjoy the "On the Wind" podcast from 59 North. I got a day and half of rigging knowledge from 'thee' Brion Toss and a great day about sails and sail repair from Chuck O'Malley of Chesapeake Sailmakers. And I got to hang out with 20 or so other sailors of all stripes.

Here's a report:
http://www.bubbathepirate.com/2017/10/learning-ropes-in-sailors-town.html
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norman

Hi, Todd!

Are you still in town?  I am nearby, and would enjoy getting together with you.  I live just off Rt 50, at the Washington Beltway.  Three 0 one, four seven 4 six six one 8.

Norman

Bubba the Pirate

Thanks, Norman. I should have thought to ask the forum a few days ago. I'm on my way home. The weekend was jam packed, sessions from 0900 to 1700 or later. Plus I was walking 3 miles each way. :-)

Next time!!!
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Norman

I thought you would be on a tight schedule, but there was a chance otherwise.

Those 3 miles a day are very good for you, and I hope you find time to do that when out trucking.  Taking a brisk walk while the truck is being loaded makes the next leg more comfortable in the big seat.

The classes and tours certainly sound great, glad they seem to have fit your needs so well. 

Norman

Bubba the Pirate

I've actually just switched to part time. My focus this winter is the boat
        ... and some exercise! :-)

It felt great to do so much walking. I'm motivated to keep it up.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bubba the Pirate

Boat ... meet engine, engine meet boat. Making some good progress finally, however I'm not going to make it out before hurricane season. I'll be in the water around the end of the year.

A few new posts lately on the blog:
https://www.bubbathepirate.com
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~