Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

solo risks

Started by Frank, February 09, 2016, 10:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

There are so many risks sailing solo.
Many are when you're actually underway, but what scares me the most is returning to the boat after a fun night. Climbing down a dock ladder in the dark to a violantly pitching dingy and then boarding the boat once back are always on my "OK...THINK...BE CAREFUL" list.  Fear of being found floating face down after hitting my head falling in or something similar seems to increase as I age.
What do you other solo guys fear most?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

Agree with that, particularly since I now have a small hard dinghy instead of the Achilles. It's not nearly as stable.

Also, lately I have become concerned about working the jib on the foredeck, particularly dropping it in higher winds. Even with a tether on. I'm not as steady on my feet as I was. :(

As a result I am (finally) changing the jib halyard to lead aft, and installing a down haul. Once it's on deck, I'll be more comfortable up there, lashing it.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

sharkbait

Aside from running out of beer, my greatest worry is heart attack or stroke while offshore.
I would hate to end up feeding the seagulls.
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Frank

Ain't that a fact....

eyeballs 1st.....easy pickings.....    :o

Frank

I had my Flicka like that CJ.  Worked well...  both halyard and downhaul lead aft.   Tie sail to the lifeline until ya can bag it. I left 2 boot shoelaces on the lifelines just for that at all times. With the sheet tight....it didn't flutter too much til it got tied.  Good setup.

CharlieJ

Yabut- if that happens you are done anyway, so why worry? You can't help prevent it while on the boat.

Good friend of mine's father died from a heart attack, while sailing his boat single hand across Matagorda Bay. The boat sailed itself ashore and grounded. They found him next day, but he no longer cared. Decent way to shuffle off this old coil eh?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

sharkbait

It's just that I hate seagulls
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Cyric30

Quote from: CharlieJ on February 09, 2016, 11:14:05 PM
Yabut- if that happens you are done anyway, so why worry? You can't help prevent it while on the boat.

Good friend of mine's father died from a heart attack, while sailing his boat single hand across Matagorda Bay. The boat sailed itself ashore and grounded. They found him next day, but he no longer cared. Decent way to shuffle off this old coil eh?

Well of all the ways you can go, that wouldn't be right at the top, but alot worse ways to go for sure.

SailorTom

Well the falling in late night can happen at the dock easily enough. We had an old solo guy miss his step one night and we found him the next day. A bump on the head and 40degF water made short work of him.

Personally I worry more about nit-wits on power boats. I've literally been thrown across a cabin in a peaceful anchorage due to some yahoo speeding through sending up a 5ft wake.
Next was a nice guy in a 40 some foot power boat that had to cross at full speed 10ft in front of me while I was on a nice 4kt reach.  In either case had I hit my head....well not pretty to think about. 

My dad died of a stroke while tinkering on his boat. Mom found him when he did not come home for lunch. I have always thought that was a decent way to go. 
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

GREAT tale. Having been anchored in Sarasota a few times, even better
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Is the greatest danger falling off the boat while sailing, I think not.
I think most that own a gob or one that doesn't have a boarding transom the greatest danger is departing & entering the boat while at anchor or attached to a mooring ball. Especially after having a few cocktails:)
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Locutus

Appendicitis in the middle of the Pacific.
(Maybe preemptive surgery before departure is warranted.)

Bubba the Pirate

I think it was Tristan Jones who came across 2 or 3 South American sailors on a small sailboat with a large formal name, like a freighter, that was obviously some man's name. When he inquired he was told that 3 or 4 friends were going to sail the Pacific. When they all went in for pre-emptive appendectomies, one friend died during the operation. So they named the boat after him.

Of course, I believe about half what I hear from vagabond sailors and maybe a third of Tristan's stories.  :)
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Tristan Jones?? A third is generous. Patience wales, editor of Boating, or some mag, put him onto his tales. Very little truth, but GREAT story teller
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

;D

Creative non-fiction, they call it. 
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~