New Boat - Compac 23 PH

Started by Bud, April 22, 2016, 10:25:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud

New member here but the boat is well known.

The boat is Emma B.

We will be going to Western British Columbia towards the end of May to take possession and start a 3 week cruise of Desolation Sound. The boat is very experienced in that area, we are not.

I've been lurking here for some time and am happy to finally officially join.

My name is Bud Meade and my wife's name is Nancy. I will be 70 in October, Nancy will be 71 in July. According to CJ that's not old.  ;D

We started sailing in 1970 with a Hobie 14. Have owned a succession of different boats including 5 Seawards. We live in the Midwurst, 50 miles east of St. Louis in Southern Illinois.

We were looking for an OPB. No, not Other Peoples Boats, but Old People Boat.  ;)

We know that we don't have unlimited years of left to boat. And we certainly wanted a boat that we could, if we wished, take the mast off and use it as a small cruiser.

Found an ad for Emma B, found the links to Frank's posts here regarding his PNW and Abaco adventures. Started thinking about how that type of boat could fit in with our boating future.

We wavered back and forth. Frank was very patient with our indecisiveness. We finally decided to keep our Seaward. Then a change took place and I contacted Frank asking if Emma B was still available. A very long story short is that we are going to be her new caretakers.

So I have a Seaward 25 to get ready for sale, preparing to head west to outfit a new boat and cruise in a new area. Saying I'm excited would be an understatement.  ;D

I don't know most of the members here, but I do know CJ and Tim and it looks like they have been around here for a very, very long time. I first met CJ at a BEER cruise. I met Tim at Sail Havasu. So a shout out to both of them.

Looking forward to learning from the many experienced members of this forum.

Fair Winds to us all.

Fair Winds to us all.

CharlieJ

Welcome aboard Bud. You and Nancy should fit in nicely here.

And 70 isn't old :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Welcome to the forum!!!

Heh....that boat sure looks familiar!!!   :) ;D

You'll love it out there!
Take more than 3 weeks!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

ralay

I think that's the most beautiful part of the country I've been to so far.  (Desolation Sound, not St Louis).  Should be awesome.  Please post pictures. 

Tim

Welcome aboard Bud, you and Nancy are unstoppable! Looking forward to your posts.  8)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Norman

Welcome, Bud and Nancy!

You are getting a well equipped and capable vessel  I envy the cruising that you are about to start.  I have only "sailed" that area on ferry boats and a cruise ship, and it is beautiful.

Like CJ, I think you are young too.  82 and still sailing!

Norman

Bud

Thanks for all the kind comments.

Age is relative so in relation to CJ and Norman, I am just a pup! :D

Tim, I hope to be able to cruise with you in the future.

Time wise this year, we are committed to the North Channel in August. We have to be back by June 25th for a friends daughter's wedding. Then in July we will be on Bainbridge Island for several days and hope to do some crabbing off a C-Dory 25 that my friend's nephew owns. I hear that there may not be a salmon season this year!
Fair Winds to us all.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Congratulations, nice boat.
Viewing Franks posting of his trip to the area last fall, place sure is beautiful.
There's heaven, there's earth this area looks to be a combination of both.
Hope you & Nancy have a great time this season with the new boat & exploring a new area! 
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Cruiser2B

Welcome and great looking vessel, cant wait to see pics from your voyages
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail