News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

I'm Baaaaack!

Started by Oldrig, May 01, 2016, 06:56:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldrig

It's been a long time since I logged into this forum, but luckily at least one Sailfar member remembered my offer to extend hospitality to passing sailors. Last night I hosted two Sailfar members on their way north through Buzzards Bay to Boston. They had come from North Carolina, and were learning the hard way that May 1 can be a bit early to sail in New England--especially this bizarre season.

Anyway, I don't have much else to say, except, I hope to check in here a bit more often.

It was a pleasure to offer a meal, shower and non-rocking bed to these great folks.

Best to all,

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Frank

Great to hear from Ya Joe!!

Good on you for your hospitality!

I'm sure all of you enjoyed it!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

ralay

Thanks again!  When the rain started coming down frozen, we tucked into Plymouth.  There are few better feelings than hearing the rain hit the deck when you're already down below with the Dickenson.  We'll keep an eye out for Cape Dory 25s in the horizon. 

CharlieJ

Wondered if you two were who he meant:) Sounds like a good time.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Welcome back, Joe. :) Recently, some of us were wondering how Dan was doing, and I recalled meeting the two of you a few [years] ago at Becky's diner in Portland, when you had come up together to the boat show.

Last fall I drove down to your region...and half way out Cape Cod to pick up a bargain of an ODay Mariner 19. It was the first time that I had driven across the Cape Cod Canal, and I saw of how large the canal is, and how high the bridges that cross it are. So when RaLay and Woody wrote of their plans to transit the canal, I at least had some sense of the area.

As I recall was also the case for you, my parents, now in their mid and late 80s, require more of my time and attention, so my plan is to use the Mariner as a modest trailer-sailer this season and scale back my cruising ambitions...such as they were...

Best to you, too,
Jim

Captain Smollett

Holy Frijoles, Batman!  I was just wonderin' about Oldrig Joe a couple of days ago.

Welcome back, Shipmate.  Good to see ya!
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Oldrig

Nice to be back ... as you can tell from Raylay's posting, the weather here has been unseasonably cold, and forecasts call for fog, rain and below-normal temps for almost a week. (Hope you and James are snug in Plymouth.)

Jim: I kept in touch with Dan for a long while, but he seems to have dropped out of FaceBook, which was where he used to post. His beloved trimaran was totaled in a fire a year or so back. It was quite a blow, as you can imagine.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

w00dy

Grog to ya, Joe, and well met!

Jim_ME

Good to see the SailFar Cruising Stations getting some use. :)

Quote from: Oldrig on May 02, 2016, 02:58:22 PM
His beloved trimaran was totaled in a fire a year or so back. It was quite a blow, as you can imagine.

A fellow moderator told us about this, also recently. Very sad that he lost his boat.