Howards Amazing Vanishing Apple Pie

Started by Owly055, May 17, 2016, 10:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

Not exactly a boat recipe... who makes pies while cruising ;-)   This is a recipe I recently developed that has everybody who's tried it literally licking their plates... well maybe not quite.   It's pretty simple.  You do the same thing you would with any apple pie.... make up the crust and slice the apples, etc, but the key to the whole thing is a sauce you make up.   The sauce is made thusly:

mix 3T vegetable oil with 1/4C flour into a paste in a medium size sauce pan
add:
1/2 can of frozen concentrate apple juice (6 ounces)
1T lemon juice
1C sugar
2T cinnamon
1/4-1/2 tsp  Cayenne pepper

Cook down into a thick stringy gooey sauce, add your apples, and dump the works into the crust. put the top crust on and bake as normal

The result is an intensely apple flavor spicy goo mixed with the apples, that if you cooked it down properly, will not be excessively runny.  The hot bite of the cayenne is a bit of a shock at first, but combined with the apple flavor and sweetness makes this an irresistible treat.   I've shared these with a number of people, and the reactions have been wildly enthusiastic without exception.    The key to the whole equation is the frozen concentrate that really makes the apple flavor pop.   The same filling works extremely well in an apple crunch, which is more of a "boater recipe" than a pie.

H.W.

CapnK

Sounds interesting. I think you are probably right, that the bit o' heat makes the lot o' sweet even better. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

ralay

Why not make pies?  I love having an oven and bake all sorts of stuff in cool weather.  Might not be able to keep the juice frozen, but keeping it in the icebox ought to be fine. 

The lazier version for those who don't want to make pie crust is to make apple crisp.  I bet this goo recipe would be good under crisp crumbles too. 

I like the sweet and spicy.  We make our hot cocoa Mexican style with  cayenne  and cinnamon too.  Annnnnd now I'm hungry.