Emma B in the PNW with new owners

Started by Bud, June 29, 2016, 07:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud

Thru a fortuitous series of events, Nancy and I became the new owners of the well known Compac 23 Pilothouse 23 Emma B.

Having dreamed of boating in Desolation Sound for many decades, buying Emma B, who was stored in Pender Harbor, BC made it possible to turn this dream into a reality. Frank's previous posts fueled my desire and Nancy's support made it possible.

It is 2,400 miles one way from our home to the boat and we stopped in Denver along the way to visit with our son and his family. It was an enjoyable trip from Denver to Pender Harbor. Including one ferry ride which in and of itself was an experience.

Frank's friend, Big John, met us at the boat and gave us a lot of good tips on places to go and things to see. We wanted to enjoy what we saw, rather than flying thru the area just to say we had been there. Our first stop was Chatterbox Falls, a lengthy trip thru spectacular scenery.   Jervis Inlet is narrow and deep as well as being surrounded by very high, snow capped mountains that had waterfalls cascading down their sides. The mountains continued to drop into the water. Often 100 feet from shore, or less, and in hundreds of feet of water.

We stayed at Egmont and then left early in the morning to take advantage of the tidal current. For this flatlander from the Midwurst, it was an interesting exercise in time, boat speed and tide tables. We needed to hit Malibu Rapids at slack, or nearly slack tide. I surprised myself by being there at the right time.

We then continued the short distance to Chatterbox Falls. Total distance that day was 30 miles. All under power. The weather was cloudy, foggy, sunny, rainy, damp and cold. Little bit of everything except for wind. This pattern continued for the rest of the time we were on the water.

I believe people who sail are particularly attuned to their surroundings. Everyone we met on our trip had a  "favorite" anchorage the we "could not miss" and corrected us when we suggested somewhere else may be as good or better.

We launched at the government ramp in Maderia Park, leaving our trailer at the storage place and our truck at the marina.

Interestingly, our first stop, Chatterbox Falls, was that "favorite, can not miss" place of the whole trip.

Nancy called the area majestic, I called it mystical/magical. There was a sense of wilderness and nature that combined to make people speak softly and almost reverently. We hiked around the falls. Sat on a bench and enjoyed the mist. Of course, being so damp, green stuff grew everywhere.

I enjoyed having the port open at night and hearing the falls "chatter" all night long.

I also enjoyed the diesel heater that took the chill off the cool/damp morning air.

To see anything else, we had to make the 30 mile return trip down Jervis Inlet.

That evening I enjoyed a "Backeddy Burger" and a Persephone  Pale Ale. Yummy.

(Note: Frank has already provided a fantastic trip report with minute by minute photos which I could not top so I will post all the photos at the end)

Not knowing the character limit of any post, I'm going to end this one and continue in the next.

Fair Winds to us all.

Bud

Off to the Desolation Sound area.

We head from Egmont to Ballet Bay. Even though we were there before the "season" officially started, there were a lot of boats everywhere we went. Including at the Government docks in the various settlements. We never had to raft, but there weren't empty spaces either.

With wind against tide we decided to stay in Ballet Bay and waited for a change in conditions. We poked our nose out late in the afternoon and made a run north to Powell River in calm water and no wind. May as well tell you right now, we never sailed. Either blowing like stink, dead calm or wind on the nose with lumpy seas.

The following morning we got up early and rode the tide up to Lund which is at the northern end of the Pan  American Highway. Lund is also home to Nancy's Bakery where you can get delicious fresh baked goodies such as blueberry scones and cinnamon rolls of various flavors. Like most places that had electricity, free wifi was available (but at relatively slow speeds). Our kids loved the fact that they could keep track of the old folks.

The tides in the area are in the 14 to 16 foot range which means at low tide, it is a steep climb up the ram p from the floating docks. Amazing to see how the shore was covered and uncovered twice a day.

One of the dockmasters in Lund is the granddaughter of Allen Farrell, who built Yankee Girl and China Cloud and sailed the west coast of Canada for decades. If you want to know more, find a used copy of Sailing Back In Time. Wonderful book that will give you much insight into the area and the people.

From Lund we continued to poke our noses into various anchorages in Desolation Sound. With the GPS/chart plotter and the Dreamspeaker series of cruising guides, we were able to navigate without incident or accident (well sometimes I wasn't exactly sure, but was "close enough".)

In addition to the other anchorages, we also stopped at Squirrel Cove, Refuge Cove and Gorge Harbor. Each had a distinct feel to them. As a point of interest, Gorge Harbor is a "project" by pair of Dr's who are husband and wife. One if the best kept marinas we have ever stayed at. If you are in the area, stop, stay and eat on the outside deck that overlooks the harbor and boats.

We learned that we needed a bigger boat than Emma B if we wanted to come back to the area and stay on the boat for an extended length of time. Consequently, Emma B. will be picked up next week and hauled to her new owner in Rhode Island. The new owner is very anxious to be able to use her in Maine.

We have plans to charter a Cdory 25 in the area to see if that is a boat that would work well for us for longer trips. Time will tell.

Chatterbox Falls

Some of the many waterfalls higher up on the mountains that feed Chatterbox. The surrounding mountains are thousands of feet above the water

Heading back down Jervis Channel. Typical view. You can see many waterfalls on the mountains.

Ballet Bay Typical of the views from the anchorages in the area. All of them breath taking.

And just for fun some "wild life".

I kick myself for not going sooner.

If you ever thought you might enjoy the area, I urge you to go, go now, don't put it off. You won't regret whatever it takes to get there.

We will be back.

Fair Winds To Us All
Fair Winds to us all.

Bud

A few more pics. Cell phone so lower quality.

Launch ramp and marina at Maderia Park

Never get tired of the scenery.

Rugged mountain tops

One of many waterfalls.

How to get the slime off the ramp. Use power washer connected to rotary brush.

Always fun to see a nice sunset.

Emma B and a 47' neighbor.

Fair Winds to us all.

Tim

Thanks for sharing these Bud, can't wait,  little more than a month and I should be up there.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Bud

Fair Winds to us all.

Tim

We will most likely launch from Anacortes. Quick trip over to Friday Harbor to visit Jim and Joan, and then on northward.

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Bud

Nice, give them my regards.

Wild Blue knows the way for sure.  ;D

How far north do you think you will go?
Fair Winds to us all.

Tim

The plan is to get to the Boughtons this time.

W.A. Ward

Frank

Thanks for the pics Bud!!  Grog to ya

It is amazing up there...

I love your ending:

"If you ever thought you might enjoy the area, I urge you to go, go now, don't put it off. You won't regret whatever it takes to get there.  We will be back "

So true...
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bud

Thank you Frank.

Your trip reports were responsible for this happening for Nancy and me. I wanted to give others the same encouragement.

After being there, I have a greater respect for your accomplishments last fall. You worked hard to make that happen and we all got to go along with you due to your generosity.

Nancy is checking out chartering a C-Dory 25 for our next BC adventure.
Fair Winds to us all.