CharlieJ

This is from a discussion on the chat. Ya'll should join us
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 21, 2016, 10:17:04 PM
This is from a discussion on the chat. ...

You told of the recent project on your friend's boat, relocating the jib cars to the proper position, and how the previous owner had used a lot of silicone screwing the track to the deck, and how it took some time to get that off.

Silicone was not your favorite material and could only be found in one place on Tehani...

"The trash can?" I guessed...

In reply, you posted these photos of the vent you'd made in the drop board, which was from a design that you had seen in This Old Boat. I had not seen this feature on any of the previous photos of Tehani. A simple baffle to vent and keep water out. I cannot even see the silicone under the Lexan, so can see the advantage of clear silicone here.

You explained that you also made a plug, but have rarely used it.

I see that it also functions to let light through to the cabin, and allows a view out of the cabin aft, should you be aboard with the boards in.

I wondered whether there might also be a version that would have a screen to keep insects out, but if one wants ventilation, a larger screened panel that replaces that board (or more than one). In dry weather, the screen may be enough, or an alternative panel could have louvers to shed rain and yet provide a large vent area?

Thanks, Charlie, for sharing the photos of this feature.

CharlieJ

Some more pics

First, the plug.

Then my insect screens which are the exact size of the drop boards, so can be used on top, or on bottom, depending.

Also have a Sunbrella square that attaches over sliding hatch,, and ties aft to keep rain off the opening. Don't have a pic of that.

One thing- to work effectively, that drop board vent needs another opening. I have a Nicro Day/night solar vent in forehatch that runs all the time,, pulling air through. Stops most mildew
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

The plug and the screens look nice...and useful.  :)

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera