Flicka...a perfect cruiser???

Started by Frank, May 20, 2006, 08:50:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

couple of dodger pics...I just installed it today.The storm curtains aren't installed..just 'hung' to see how they'd look.Cutting in a opening port to the 1/4 berth tomorrow.The list is getting shorter
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

Congratulations, Frank! You have managed to get the first-ever picture I have seen which makes a Flicka look *huge*... :D

Cool pic!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Dougcan

Interesting thing, that "storm curtain" is!

I like the concept for it, but I am curious, wouldn't that increase the windage of the boat?

Reason why I asked is because there was an argument against certain small boats (with real standing room below), for having too much "freeboards" and the 'resulting windage".

Most would have one believe that "low freeboards" is good and "high freeboard" is bad.

What do y'all think?

Frank

Your point is valid. Another 'against storm curtains' thought is that on a passage,a boarding wave could damage the lifelines and stantions if it hit the curtains....not to mention the additional 'leverage' on the boat up high like they are. That said...2 'long distance' flicka sailors (one over 10500 knm) had curtains. All that aside..I had the opportunity of sitting on a triton last year with them while anchored at Manjack Cay and I'm here to tell ya....NICE. Our ariel was a similar if a bit smaller boat and on that cool windy day their cockpit was WAY warmer and more livable/comfortable. On my crossing last year I was getting cool with a stern wind...they would have been nice. and finally...'privacy'...cockpit showers etc will be less of a 'show' as well as warmer.I will be spending 10-11 weeks straight cruising this winter and except the trade offs for the comfort they give. Nothing is perfect....everything a  compromise. I'll take the comfort in this case.

LauraG

Simple remedy on the storm curtains. From reading the Hiscocks or the Roths by the way.

Secure them solidly at the top lifeline, but use only light lashing on the lower edges. That way normal spray or smaller slop waves won't do anything but a boarding sea will break the lower lashings before damaging the life lines or stanchions.

When we do serious offshore sailing, we'll have curtains for sure.

AdriftAtSea

LauraG's solution sounds pretty good...gives you the privacy and shelter of the lee cloths, but allows them to give way if necessary.  One other thing I've seen on many lee cloths is having the name of the boat on the lee cloths. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

Thanks Laura...kinda funny,but mine 'by accident' ended up that way.Turns out the genny track/car is right where I'd screw the lower eyes on the toe rail to tie them down. I decided against potentially interferring and apart from 2 lower at each end...the center is not fastened...much the same end result.  I've seen names on the storm curtains...kinda looks like a 'billboard' to me...na

CapnK

Names on the lee cloths make it easy to identify who you are from a distance when it is really snotty, though. I recall a pic like that, in some book of mine... Maybe not a purty solution, but practical...

Frank - that Flicka looks *AWESOME*! Really well cared for, you must be loving it. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Frank

Here's a pic on the trailor basically 'ready' to launch.

Edit: Captain Smollett: Added Picture