WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATUS?

Started by lance on cloud nine, August 12, 2016, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lance on cloud nine

this is a non-specific thread...to take a little wind out of facebooks sails....post any sailing related status...just as a "check-in" about sailing. we know we don't post because we want to see our own boats etc....but because we want to trade it for others boat pics, thoughts...hit me!
as for me, I continue to work on my O'Day 26 "tiny house project rehab". She is out on the drive. She's damp under the mast. I have no recoring experience but am trying to get up the nerve to start it next week. We plan to keep this boat in a rented slip in Florida and use it to escape our cold Indiana winters a few weeks each year.

I am lucky to have a beautiful easy going wife that will sail with me on most any boat. On the weekends we are racing a 500 dollar Y- Flyer on Midwestern lakes. A new mainsail would probably move us up quite away in the finish results! But it is all fun.

What's your current status?

p.s. as usual I posted in the wrong category...if anyone can move this to the general discussion thread, I'll owe ya a beer.
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

SailorTom

Well...The fleet has increased in number but entropy of the total fleet has also increased! :(  Throw in family medical matters and I haven't been sailing since February.  :'(
People are going to start thinking I would rather work on an old boat then sail one.

Here is my newest old boat, a Luger Leeward http://triton190.blogspot.in
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

K3v1n

We are sailing and totally enjoying our Com-Pac 23. I have also been doing some racing against the big boys.

S/V TETRA Racing Footage

lance on cloud nine

Thanks for posting...have started reading Tom's interesting blog and will finish asap.

Dang! Tetra looks sharp! Looks great in the racing vid. I bet she surprised some folks!

Godot

Got married. Pretty much took the wind out of this summer's sailing. No worries, because fall is coming soon and that is when the best sailing is.

I actually did get out a couple weekends ago. When I left the dock there was virtually no power. I managed to slowly motor to a nearby anchorage so I could dive the boat and scrape the prop. There were a lot of barnacles. It took awhile. Learn from Adam and don't leave your boat sad and neglected in her slip, or you too may find she doesn't want to go out when you are finally ready.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

w00dy

Congrats Adam! (on getting married ;) )

Jim_ME

Yes, congratulations Adam, and fair winds with your fall sailing.

Frank

Adam.....ya kinda snuck that "I got married" in there :)

Best wishs to both of you for a life of laughs and adventure!!

Any pictures to share?
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bubba the Pirate

~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

lance on cloud nine

Congratulations to you and yours Godot! Does your bride enjoy sailing?

Godot

She enjoys sailing. Not as much as I do; but she is certainly tolerant of my heading out. A couple years ago we took a month to sail to Martha's Vineyard/Block Island/Newport, RI/Mystic Seaport/New York City/Cape May. She is supportive of my dream of long term/distance cruising. She may not sail with me all the time (I don't think offshore slogs are her thing...at least not yet); but will likely fly into interesting places I end up. Not a bad deal.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

jotruk

congrats and I hope your future is full of fair winds and following seas
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

CapnK

Adam, I think I Congratted you already, but if not - then Congrats! :)

Kevin - what kind of dinghy is that, and have you run a motor on it? If so, how'd it go?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

K3v1n

It's a Takacat Lite! Love it, works great to get the dog back on the boat.
Looking to get an outboard soon, right now we just row it. :)

TAKACAT LITE

curifin

Sailing Galveston bay and teaching the kiddos.  Wishing I had a slightly larger boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharlieJ

Gorgeous kids. LOVE the grin on the girl :)

Did you have NE winds today. We did on Matagorda. Strange.

And welcome aboard
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

curifin

Thanks!  I am sure proud of em.... Yes weird east and north winds.  Normally I can sail up and down the bay at will :-0

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CapnK

That boat seems plenty big to them, I bet... :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

curifin

Heh... Yeah but my oldest daughter has declared we need a boat with "two cabins". :-) I don't want to go too big but standing headroom and a private head would open up the experience to the wife and others.... and extend my range.  The adjustable draft is ideal for here though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cruiser2B

Lost all wind in my sails! :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Wife/first mate of 17yrs decided she didn't want to be married anymore and split 6 weeks ago. No warning, no discussion, no signs.....just gone.... Toughest 6 weeks of my life, lost nearly 30lbs and just can not concentrate on anything....So to say I haven't even thought about the boat is an understatement.
However, my head has started to clear and I'm trying to decide my lifes new direction. Thinking of moving the entire show back to Mass where I am originally from. Lots of family and support. I have decided at this point to keep my Alberg as it is completely paid for and in its current condition is not worth much...Although I could part her out and get a good amount of money. I believe I love the boat too much to do that. So summer 2016 has not been too good for this guy

Sorry to bring this thread down but you asked :P
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail