WHAT IS YOUR CURRENT STATUS?

Started by lance on cloud nine, August 12, 2016, 04:46:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lance on cloud nine

do you ever giggle and shake your head...when reading a boat ad that says something like - "shoal keel version, (only draws 4'11")?
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

Frank

Yep....
Kinda funny.
Doesn't sound too shoal to me either.
I guess Allure at 3ft 8in is "ultra shallow draft" by those standards 🤣

PS....my sympathy to Patriots fans 🤣🤣

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Godot

Quote from: lance on cloud nine on February 04, 2018, 11:42:44 AM
do you ever giggle and shake your head...when reading a boat ad that says something like - "shoal keel version, (only draws 4'11")?
It's all relative. If the normal keel is seven feet, then a sub five foot keel seems shoal indeed.

Seeker is at 3'6". An advantage of full keels.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

CapnK

My Islander 36 is the "shoal draft" version, and draws (my best figure) 4'9". The reg'lar old I36 draws 6.08', according to sailboatdata.com

Draft is pretty much the only real issue I have with the Alpa 11.50 (~38' LOA): she draws 6.23'. Deeper than I am tall, by a half a foot. Zoiks. :)

I like being able to stand in the water next to my boat, and see the deck. :) But short of going multihull, or dealing with the intricacies/foibles of a centerboard, it seems that you'll be hard-pressed to find a boat with sufficient displacement (or IOW, stowage) for long term, long distance, self-sufficient 4 season liveaboard and travel - including the ability to be say 30+ days away from provisioning resources - without being pretty hardcore 'only the bare basics'.

Being skinny and sneaking right up to the beach is great when that is the situation, but conversely I guess 6' isn't really much at all to think about when the closest land is a mile away - straight down. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

I met a crew at the SSCA gam a couple years ago that where heading down the ICW and then to the Bahamas on a boat (Tumultuous Uproar?) with an 8'  :o draft. They did run hard aground in the Bahamas and had some difficulty, as I recall, getting into a boatyard for repairs; but they made it happen. Certainly more draft than I would prefer for shoal waters; but I bet it really is nice on offshore passages. As I recall it was a very fast, high pointing boat. I believe they are somewhere in the Panama area now-a-days; but I could be wrong.

Compromises. Always compromises.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Quote from: Frank on February 05, 2018, 08:12:27 AM
PS....my sympathy to Patriots fans 🤣🤣

Yea, tough being a Pats fan last night but a winning streak like they've had was going to end someday.

My Sabre 28 draws 4'-4", another reason I bought her. Seems most of the boats up here in New England draw 6'+. Most of the "modern" shoal keels are wings. I wouldn't want to ground one of them. That has anchor effect written all over it.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

lance on cloud nine

it would be fun to USCG document a boat with a home port of Oak Island, and name her The Money Pit.

lance on cloud nine

Happy New Year Everyone! who is doing some sailing this week? post us some pictures! we're desperate!

w00dy

I'm flying to Guatemala tomorrow. Headed to the Rio Dulce to spend a week on a friend's boat there. Will post a report and pictures on return.

Norman

Wow!  That is an outstanding destination for this time of year, and a huge difference from some of your previous winter adventures.  Will you be diving on the coral, and admiring the fish?

I am anticipating our second snow this Friday, wishing to be far south of here.  We will need sunny pictures to keep the morale up here in the northern states.  Have a lot of fun!

Norman

sharkbait

Just got into harbor last week. San Juan Del Sur ,Nicaragua
No wife, no kids, no debt.