News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Solar Tubes

Started by Owly055, August 29, 2016, 12:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

In looking at the lighting issues in sailboat cabins, it has occurred to me that the solar tube system..... without the actual tubes, just the collector and diffuser could make a huge difference.   Unlike a simple portlight, they have a raised omnidirectional collector that gathers the sunlight from all directions, and the diffuser broadcasts that light far more broadly than a window.   They seem to work very well in buildings, where the light travels down a polished tube, sometimes for a considerable distance from the collector to the diffuser.   Because of their design, a relatively small opening can transmit a lot of light.  Particularly in places like the V berth, but in the cabin itself, this could be a real asset.  Small size, means less vulnerability to that breaking wave that can knock out windows / portlights.   I'm imagining a row of half a dozen of these on the coachroof,  with particular attention to places like the galley and chart table, over the dinette table, and settees, and in the head.   I don't know if anybody makes them specifically for marine use, but it seems to me to be a potential asset.

H.W.

Bubba the Pirate

Here's the old school version of what you're talking about. The Westsail 42 I was on last spring had a couple. One was into the engine room under the cockpit. It was amazing how much light it delivered below!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deck_prism
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Owly055

That's exactly what I was fishing for!!

H.W.

CharlieJ

Big problem with the old deck prisms is how pointed they are on the bottom, and how large they are. I have one here at home made into a night light- it's about 6 inches all together. Most small boats don't have the headroom.

Not a bad idea, although my tempered glass ports in my boat are 55 years old.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bubba the Pirate

Yes, the Albin Vega I had in Michigan had a couple ports in the roof of the cabinhouse. I assumed they were tempered glass; only makes sense. I'm not sure they were stock, but they did a great job brightening up the cabin.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

.Of course, if I were still interested in long offshore passages,, I would certainly build storm shutters for those ports. The small ones are lexan and not a problem.  But I've pretty much lost interest in a week or two offshore. Been there, done that. an overnighter coast wise will do for me :) And then I can pick my weather
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Owly055

Quote from: CharlieJ on August 30, 2016, 07:48:20 PM
.Of course, if I were still interested in long offshore passages,, I would certainly build storm shutters for those ports. The small ones are lexan and not a problem.  But I've pretty much lost interest in a week or two offshore. Been there, done that. an overnighter coast wise will do for me :) And then I can pick my weather

I understand where you are coming from...... to each his or her own.    Long passages offshore are necessary if you want to see the world by boat.   If your desire is to sail from marina to marina like most folks........ we are on a completely different page.

H.W.

CharlieJ

well, at my age, I've gotten past most of that. When I was in my 60's a did a lot of offshore, both cruising and racing.

Now I'll settle for Bahamas, and that area.

And I seldom stay in a marina. That's why I carry the ground tackle I do

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Quote from HW:
"I understand where you are coming from...... to each his or her own.    Long passages offshore are necessary if you want to see the world by boat.   If your desire is to sail from marina to marina like most folks........ we are on a completely different page."

HUH????

There are lots of us here that put thousands (yes thousands) of mile/year under keel without extended offshore passages on boats that I can assure you are NOT dock queens!!
  CJ has cruised a ton of miles ..... aboard mono and multies...and I assure you rarely if ever tied at a dock.
  Of my 4mth cruise in Bahamas last year I think I was tied up 2 nights by memory. Hardly a "marina queen"...but certainly "out there....doing it".
  Just saying....

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CharlieJ

"CJ has cruised a ton of miles ..... aboard mono and multies...and I assure you rarely if ever tied at a dock."

Just a point- in the last full year I lived aboard and cruised the tri, she never ever touched a dock. Always on her own anchors or on a mooring.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Owly055

Pardon my comments about marina queens.   A huge percentage of the yachting community fits that model, and I apologize for giving offense.  The most interesting and  beautiful places in the world are coastal, as opposed to the vast open expanses of ocean between continents, or a great deal of the land area between seas.  There is a reason why Kansas and Nebraska are not major tourist destinations ;-)  The coastal areas of North, Central, and South America, and the Caribbean offer a vast area to explore, rarely having to make an overnight passage.  There are also many people who love to do the ARC circuit every year, with two Atlantic crossings, and others who do the Puddle Jump, and circulate through the Pacific Islands, Oz and New Zealand, returning the the US only occasionally.... or annually.   Others set out on a circumnavigation, some driven to accomplish it for a feather in their cap, and others at a leisurely pace taking from a few to many years, and not necessarily with that as an actual goal.  My inclinations tend to fall that way...... I want to sail the world to see the world, and if I cross my own path at some point....... then so be it.
                                                                                          H.W.

ralay

I've never seen a boat with a cabin that didn't have portholes.  The deck prisms don't help with ventilation and don't let you see what's going on outside.  They also make slick patches on the deck.  They do help a lot with light in flush decked boats, though, or to get more light in the dark corners near the rail.  We had some of the triangular type on the flushed deck portion of our Aleutka.  They probably didn't let in as much light, but they also weren't as large or stabby as CJ's nightlight.  I think CJ's suggestion about portholes wih storm boards is a common and functional solution. 

CharlieJ

Hey gal- ya'll battened down up there. Hermine might get to you- NC now.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

It's too early to batten down, but we are planning to move our boat upriver if the forecast doesn't improve.  It'll be pretty ridiculous if, after so many years in TX, FL, and NC, we get hit by a cyclone in Boston.

CharlieJ

LOL
and yet, I got caught in Mobjack Bay :)

Good luck. Tell James I said hello
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Zero content post reply:

Quote from: ralay on September 02, 2016, 04:15:27 PM
...weren't as large or stabby...