Chesapeake & OB sounds, conditions...?

Started by CapnK, September 27, 2016, 04:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

For thems of y'all what have been there: how bad does the Chesapeake and/or the sounds of the Outer Banks get with a NE wind of 15-20? I imagine if one were going towards that direction, it'd be right horrible, but if you were basically traveling with the wind off the stern or an aft quarter, it should be much more doable, right...? I need me some edumication on this. Thanks. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

ralay

We've spent lots of time in the Chesapeake and Sounds.  15-20kts sounds like nice sailing weather to me.  We've sailed in a lot more during cold fronts.  We sailed by some skipjacks with their huge mains up when it was gusting NW 35-40kts.  We thought we were hardcore, but the Bay was full of watermen that day - dredging oysters like it wasn't no thing.  We were humbled.  Obviously, YMMV with boat and definition of roughness. 

CapnK

Thanks, that doesn't sound too bad.

A side Q for you - how'd you find the depth in the Dismal? A book I've been reading, the author says his 4'9" draft bumps bottom/logs every time they go through, which means so would the A30, so I may go the eastern way. Ooommmmmm... ;)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

ralay

You can play with this calculator to figure out wave heights and periods for a given wind speed, fetch, and depth:

http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/project-pages/coastal_model/Tools/fetch_limited.html

We draw 5.5' and I don't remember ever having depth issues in the Dismal Swamp.  We've gone both routes 2-3 times, but I really like the Dismal Swamp.  I'd say go for it.

Cruiser2B

the lower chesapeake bay can be right nasty in a 20kt NE wind especially with ebb tide. Passing over the HRT tunnel with a NE wind and ebb and make for some really nasty breakers.
Currituck sound also not to favorable for passage in 20kt NE, channel is quite narrow and not pleasant...
just a bit of knowledge
1976 Westsail 32 #514 Morning Sun
Preparing to get underway!!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal with Inland Aux Sail

CharlieJ

Quote from: ralay on September 27, 2016, 08:01:57 PM
You can play with this calculator to figure out wave heights and periods for a given wind speed, fetch, and depth:

http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/project-pages/coastal_model/Tools/fetch_limited.html

We draw 5.5' and I don't remember ever having depth issues in the Dismal Swamp.  We've gone both routes 2-3 times, but I really like the Dismal Swamp.  I'd say go for it.

Took Tehani through, no problem. 3'6 draft. Stayed at the middle locks on Halloween night. BUT- if the leaves aren't changing, it's a BORING run. Nice stop at Elizabeth City though
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

What weather people sail in is pretty subjective.  Especially if you're single handing a boat you're still getting to know.  You do you, CapnK.  There are so many anchorages in the areas you'll be crossing, you should have plenty of bailout points and places to wait for weather you're comfortable with.   

CapnK

5/6 days of E/ESE @12-15 would be great. Zip right outta the mouth of the Chessie, turn S and sail around Diamond, Lookout, and Frying Pan shoals, right into Winyah Bay... ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

ralay

When are you planning the trip?  Should we be keeping an eye out for you on our way south?

I can't tell if you're serious about wanting to go outside, but if you want more chances to sail, you can always sail out through Abermarle, Roanoke, and Pamlico Sound rather than taking the ICW.  You can sail all the way from the end of the Dismal Swamp to Oriental, but you won't have to deal with the extra distance/hazards of going around Cape Hatteras.  There's a free dock in Manteo, NC too.  So many options! 

CharlieJ

Agree. Once brought a delivery out Frying Pan, came in Charleston. Two aboard and the owner was dog sick, so I brought us inshore.

Single handed, I'd stay inside
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

I'm pushing departure back to next week, leaving Kilmarnock, VA area (~45 miles N of Norfolk) mid-week-ish, and so right now just mulling possibilities and watching forecasts and looking at charts while all the data rolls around inside my brain pan...

Total trip distance-wise outside is about 40-50 miles further (assuming ability to maintain a constant bearing along shortest distance) than inside (~some 450 miles), but will be much less mentally taxing, especially singlehanded, as once offshore there's no worry about shoals, channels, much traffic, etc... So, 500 miles on the outside.
Should be easily able to maintain a 4 kt average in the predicted 10-15 winds, and 5 days would have me back. Winds are northerly, a Gulf Stream no-no, but what I have been reading is that that strength is OK for an inside sneak around Hatteras, at the edge of or inside the N wall of the Stream, and good for coming down coastal otherwise.
If I could average 5-5.5 kts, it'd be a ~4 day trip. Plus, offshore. And, around Hatteras. :D
Whereas, down the Ditch if I can make 5 kts average and be on the go for 15 hrs each day (75 miles), then its a 6 day trip.
64 miles/day makes it a solid week, on the inside.

But do I need to hurry back? Not necessarily, and poop, I'm traveling by boat; it's not like I won't be having fun, whichever way I go, right? :) So I could say to heck with any itinerary, really, except that my mothers 80th bday is on the 15th, and I would definitely like to be back in time for that... Which makes me check calendar and I might shoot for heading up Monday in order to light out Tuesday... See how up in the air it all is? :)

I had a feeling that the southern Ches might get choppy in a northerly with a tide running against it. Right now, none of the weather forecasts are calling for overly strong winds from any direction, so that's good. Currituck looks like you'd BEST NOT get off course at all, lubber!
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Just off the top of my head- couple decent anchorages. Just as you come off the Chesapeake into Elizabeth River at Norfolk is Willoughby Spit to port . Pretty well protected and deep enough.

If too early in day, then-

Hospital point, just past Waterside ( opposite side ), is mile zero of east coast ICW. Pretty much opposite Waterside, ,and SailFar has a member there

Just north of Albemarle Sound, port side , is a nice place.

After Albemarle is Little Alligator River- well sheltered to starboard. DO NOT try Albemarle in very strong winds!!

Of course Oriental- free dock for two nights. Neat spot right across road called "The Bean" solve the worlds problems over coffee

And Beaufort NC

There are many more but would have to check log book. Those just pop to mind

Try to take the time and enjoy the cruise. LOTS of neat spots  in the Atlantic ICW
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Hampton has a marine center you can anchor next to and get a $1 shower and internet.  You can also ride the bus to the awesome small craft exhibit at thr Newport News maritime museum.  Portsmouth has two large, free areas to tie up by the ferries (though there will be ferry tooting.). Free dock by bridge in Great Bridge.  Free dock at the Dismal Swamp Welcome Center.  Free docks in Elizabeth City.  Free docks in Belhaven, Manteo, and Oriental.  Can't think of any other area we've been that is so inviting. 

CapnK

Most likely I will blow through Norfolk/Portsmouth trying to get to the head of the DS Canal ASAP. Looks like there are 2 or 3 bridges I will have there that are opening bridges. Any tips re: those?

Per an AM phone call, there is a small chance of a good sailing friend coming along. If so, it will be the 20th or so when we do the trip...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

I doubt you can clear the bridges. and they have restrictions as to hours. I have something on the boat from then- I'll look tomorrow and see what I can find
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

There are probably a lot of bridges between Norfolk and SC.  Which ones are you asking about?  Or are you asking about how to deal with bridges in general? 

Active Captain or any Waterway Guide will have all the official bridge/lock names and their restrictions.  Usually bridges and locks answer on 13.  It's a good ideal to download the Local Notice to Mariners before you leave and check it for any bridge/lock construction or closures on your route.  The locks also close due to high water.  I think both the Dismal Swamp and VA cut were closed earlier this week due to flooding.  It happens sometimes, so it's good to check before you leave Hampton Roads. 

CharlieJ

I think he mean the two between Norfolk and Dismal

Hey- you gonna join us again on the chat tonight?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Yup, just the ones (the two?) up there. :)

OTOH - singlehanded (& four-pawed), offshore, around Hatteras southbound, with an approaching Cat3+ hurricane - now *THAT* sounds like a recipe for grand adventure!!!

;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

And it's looking like that whirly girl (guy?) is gonna be a rough one too. Be careful bud.

Remember- there is a squall that LIVES off Hatteras, full time :)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CapnK

Oh, don't worry, I am smart enough not to pull a Bounty... ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)