News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Stove

Started by Sunset, October 02, 2016, 08:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

There is no question that propane and natural gas have a tremendous explosive potential.   A few years ago not too many miles from where I live, a large main street commercial building was completely obliterated in a split second on main street of a minor city in the early hours of the morning.   The remains of the lady who opened the door and probably switched on the lights triggering the explosion were never found, and all that remained of the building was rubble lying in the basement.   Explosion in a GRP boat is no laughing matter as a friend of mine (now deceased) found out while smuggling arms into Nicaragua during the Reagan Administration.  When approached by a Nicaraguan coastal patrol boat, one of the guys tossed a "flash bang" into the patrol boat in preparation to come up shooting in a fight for their lives.    The patrol boat was a GRP speed boat, and it completely disintegrated and vanished into the ocean leaving only some floating cushions, etc........ no boat, no men, just gone.   A horrifying lesson in the lack of integrity of fiberglass boats built using a chopper gun.   
     That said, I have been using propane for heating and cooking most of my life, and I'm not frightened of it, though I'm careful of it.   But neither am I casual about it.  Proper lines and connections makes the probability of leaks minimal.  A solenoid valve located in the tank locker can make for great insurance.  I would suggest a wind up electric timer with a one hour limit at the stove.  The timer would operate the solenoid valve so that you would have to turn the timer on to operate the valve.   A sealed solid state timer can be built for just a few dollars using a mosfet and a resistor, the value of the resistor determining the time interval, the works sealed in epoxy with an aluminum piece for a heat sink for the mosfet.   A timer and a switch can give you peace of mind.
     I've lived with gas for many years as I mentioned, and my nose is hyper sensitive to it.  If I walk into the kitchen and a pilot light is out, I know instantly, and the quantity of gas is far too small to pose any danger at all.    I do know of one sailboat that was lost in the Pacific a number of years ago during the "puddle jump" with no trace ever found.  There were no storms, no rocks or reefs, etc, and they were equipped with a good life raft and EPIRBs.   They simply went out of contact and were never seen or heard from again 4 lives lost including two small children.  No trace.    The theory was propane explosion.........  The only thing that made sense.

H.W.

Frank

I feel pretty confident on my install.
Tank is in aft cockpit and if it leaked....would go out cockpit drains.
Selonoid switch is right at the stove and the light comes on red when "on"
I use that switch to shut the gas off first, then the stove switch.
Always know the gas is "off" back there that way.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

rorik

Ah, thanks for the correction!
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

rorik

From Port Townsend Foundry....

CharlieJ

Pretty. Looks like built for sterno
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rorik

Stove hangs  off the bottom.
I've got two more pics, just didn't have time to resize them earlier.
Will do later.

rorik

With the stove....

Phantom Jim

Very nice.  What is the diameter of the pot?  The burner is the standard Optimus? 
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

Ok I see- the burner is above that base, and tank hangs under- nice
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

rorik

I didn't get a chance to measure it, but it appeared to be ~10". Pete at PT Foundry said it holds his 5qt PC perfectly.
To my eye, it didn't look any smaller than the Atom stove..