So far so good, mantus anchor experience

Started by lastgreatgeneration, October 06, 2016, 05:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

So ever since dragging with the 25# Manson this spring I couldn't trust it any more, it wasn't fouled but I often set the anchor with high revs for several minutes. It worked well the former season, especially in Chesapeake mud and 30+ knots. Mind you, 35' HT chain 7-10 feet of water, Chesapeake mud.

So, someone "old school" told me, preaching that the Bruce anchor was the best anchor for soft mud. So, bought a used 33# genuine Bruce, it worked well for a while. It did drag in a storm that had 45-50 knot winds that snapped fairly large trees in half in Annapolis. I dragged about 100 yards in that storm.

I then ventured into the realm of the newest and "best", I bought a 45# mantus. Of course way overkill, storm sized anchor for my 28' 8,000# boat. I have found if I try to force it to settle too fast I can feel it skip along the bottom. Not a miracle anchor apparently. I have to slowly pay out scope, reverse engine, then pay out more etc. it has been flawless, I have not dragged a foot since owning it.

However the 45# seems a little overkill and possibly a knee jerk reaction to dragging in the 45-50 knots. But I'm really considering the 35# mantus and keeping the 45# disassembled for storms.

Not endorsing, no affiliation. Just a satisfied customer. I can live aboard and go to work and my boat is always where I left it when I return.

The other story is I have a newer hypalon dink that I used to just clear to the dock. Well kids, possibly drunken adults would "borrow" it. It was always returned but not how I left it, they couldn't tie a proper cleat, they just wrapped it around it a few times. I solved that by always stainless cabling and padlocking it. Problem solved.

I'm thinking about switching to say 150' of 1/4 of HT instead of my current #35 of 5/16 HT. Mainly to save on weight. Typically right now I have a 20' piece 5/8 off of the bow to make a decent 5/1 or 6/1 depending on the tide.

Dan

CapnK

Thx, Dan, real experience is always good to know about.

Grog fer ya!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Interesting I've been delighted with theBruce. Had itrefuse tosetonce FrazerHogg Key Exumas. Guide book said itwoundn't an wasright

Keepus postedplease
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

Sorry about the run togethers. Just on phone
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

32adios

Bought a 45# Mantus for my new to me Catalina 355......70' HT chain 5/16"....150' three strand 5/8".......anchored in Stono River, Chas,SC area.......Hurricane Matthew passed right over the boat........didn't move an inch.......I'm a believer..........

SeaHusky

I need to purchase a new anchor come spring. I have looked at Mantus but they are not really sold around here but Rocna are very common and seem to be more or less the same so that will be the main one.
However, one of my future destinations is an island which can only be visited in one wind direction and then you need to anchor on sand. This anchorage is known for dragging but that may be mostly due to swedes poor experience with using anchors.

So, in your experience, which is the best anchor for sand?

This is "Gotska sand ?n" roughly translated as "the Gotland sand island"
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

lastgreatgeneration

The mantus is priced cheaper than other similar models. My experience has been in the soupy Chesapeake mud, this has to be the worst place one can anchor. I'm sure you would be fine with the mantus. Always sets hard and fast. If I'm going somewhere for the day I just clip a floating ball to the rode and just pick it up with a boat hook when I get back.

If it helps I have spent the last 9 months on anchor with this setup. The only problems I have had with it setting is picking up tree branches, a wind scoop, old Bimini. Other than the trash fouling your anchor I wouldn't worry too much. If it doesn't feel right, re-anchor. I usually set full throttle for about 5 minutes. Then I know it's really set well. I still have the 35 on my wish list, thinking about selling the genuine 33# Bruce because of trusting the mantus so much. I like that the larger mantus can be disassembled for storage. The 33 Bruce is a bear to store.

Best of luck.

CharlieJ

Had no trouble with my Bruce ( Claw) anywhere. With the exception of ONE spot in the Berrys, Bahamas, where the guide book warned nothing would set (we took a mooring)

DO be careful with Rocna's though. For a while they were having serious trouble with metalurgy. Fixed now I understand, but I'd bet some bad ones are still out there
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera