News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Allure 16/17

Started by Frank, November 13, 2016, 08:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Getting ready to head south. Plan is to drive down to New Smyrna and fly over to Abacos from there. It's taken a while for the "retired" mentality to set in. Have always been destination bound on the drives with no time to enjoy the tour down or home. This year I hope to make a few stops along the way to visit some old sailing friends. Looking forward to the more relaxed drive and catching up.
We've been blessed with a nice fall here at home, but the grass has stopped growing and too late for much yard work so I've been getting bored. Allure and the blue-green waters are calling 😄
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Have a safe journey & looking forward to your posts Frank!
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Norman

Frank, when do you expect to pass through the Washington DC area?  I would enjoy meeting you!

The Bahamas are increasingly attractive as the temperatures drop!

Your descriptions of the areas you sail and accompanying pictures are very enjoyable.  Not many Sailfarers making it down these days.

Frank

Frank

Well, after a few hiccups, the "relaxed drive with visits" is turning out nicely. I've done the drive to Florida in two extremely long days all too often. This "retired" mind set takes a while, but I'm learning.
A plan to meet Norman didn't fair out well. I had his home address in my plotter (TomTom) and destinations further S.  Another location was chosen underway and I zigged when I shoulda zagged....into CRAZY bumper to bumper traffic that was all but stopped. Arrrrrg..by the time I realized my error I was well over 20 miles into it and being rush hour....turning back wasn't in the cards. One down...
Off to see old friends and when I realized I'd be passing Capt Smollett's home town, I emailed but he replied that he was sick and had a "bug"... The thoughts of starting a cruise with a sickness kept me from pushing too hard for a visit, but I did spend some time in New Berne, got a nice walk in and really liked the place! Big enough to have variety but still had charm and character!! Nice town!
I was off to Oriental to see Annie and Neville. They are an inspiring couple that a love story could be written about. Extremely long story cut very short... Annie, newly single, solo'd her Shannon 28 across the Atlantic. Somewhere over there, she met Neville (a folk boat sailor) They hooked up at middle age, sailed the Shannon back, went back to England again, lived on a canal boat as together they built their Wharram TIKI 46. It was always a pleasure to watch the ease in their handling of that big boat. Before moving ashore 2 years ago, they had 53,000 miles "just on the Wharram"!
5 transatlantic's in all, a couple of Bermuda runs and countless Carribean tours. I just love the both of them! They are one of those couples that are a pleasure to be with in every way.
While there, 2 young solo sailing lads pulled in with their boats. They had been friends for years, but this was a big adventure for one of them as he'd never cruised before. A couple of hours later a free spirited young lady pulled in with her older Hunter 27 she had purchased in expensively at auction. "Heh....it floats, has sails and the engine runs" she proudly stated!....and she SHOULD be proud!
Annie invited them for dinner and it was a hoot !! (sorry about chat CJ)
Knowing what is needed by cruisers, Annie also offered showers which they all jumped at as well as a ride to groceries and laundry. Everyone who's been "out there" knows what a treat that is!!
Next morning we went down to visit and for me to say good bye as I was continuing on. We found out it was the young free spirit's birthday. She turned 21!!!! Annie got a few flowers from home to give her and when they were handed over, there she was, tools out fixing a golf club carrier. She had been carrying fuel back to the boat and there it was in someone's garbage. Ask the universe provides. It blew me away the way she handled tools and switched brackets around so it better suited her gas can. Warmed my heart...the 3 of them escaping the "American Dream"

Frank

Next it was S to see Kurt.....AKA "Capt K"
Easy to find at the marina....I just looked for a pretty A 30.
There it was....sweet lines topped with a nice blue dodger. Out came Barque. What a fine looking dog and shipmate he is!!
Then came Kurt.....
Well....
Heh.....2 outta 3 ain"t bad! 😄

After a few high end rums, he took me off to his friends restaurant, bragging about in along the way. Turns out he was totally right! What a great evening as we caught up, sipped drinks (actually he chugged his!) and had plate after plate of a veriety of offerings.....all extremely different and some of the best tasting treats I've been blessed to have eaten!
The way home side tracked to a dock for a bit of local history and moon lit views of the waterway. Beautiful area and awesome food.
Once back to the boats (yes...boats...3...count them!) we had a few more night caps before Barque put the good Captain to bed.
This morning I was up, shaved, walked back to see if there was life on the A30....Nope!
Already after 8, I drove around, found a McDonalds, got us large coffee's and went back to check for life.....still none at 9am! A tap in the hull got a bark out of Barque and finally "it" appeared. Actually, he didn't look that bad considering the amount we consumed the night before and came around quickly with the coffee. Always a fun stop to see the good Captain!!
By noon I was on the road again....
"Allure" is calling....

CharlieJ

Good reason to miss the chat.

Was this the Annie who used to be Annie Hill of Badger? Her Voyaging on a small income has been on my shelf for years
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Hey, we've been at that same table with Anne and Neville!  They're pretty awesome folks who are always at the dock every time we've come to Oriental, making sure the travelling boaters have what they need.  When we saw them they took us for a tour of their catamaran, which I think was for sale.  Not sure if they've sold it or are still looking to sell it.  It was a pretty awesome boat.  I'd never seen a boat with the rudder attached with line before.

Anyways, drive safe and have fun. 

Frank

Yep....rudders are lashed on and have 53,000 miles on the same lashings!
Still for sale but a serious looker flying in December. Sad...miss them out on the water. I remember them leaving the last time in the Abacos.
It was very early, we'd had a bonfire the night before for a farewell. No fanfare, they raised sail, hauled the anchor, back winded the jib to bring the bows over, then sheeted in and silently sailed off between the other boats anchored. Conch horns were blowing good byes to them... It was beautiful to witness..
Ask them about the "baggy winkle society" next time you see them.
You'll laugh...

Frank

Annie's solo boat was "Peace"
The cat is "Peace 3"

Don't think she wrote the book but could have.
Lived on $3000/yr for many years

ralay

The first year we met them, we also met up with some awesome couchsurfers who were working on their own boat project.  The couchsurfer's boat was kind of the antithesis of Anne and Neville's boat.  They were putting in a 300A alternator, for instance.  I'm not making any kind of judgement about that at all except that we could never afford to be fitting out a boat that way.  It was nice to run into Anne and Neville and see their boat for contrast.  We could say, "Well, we're never going to be buying a 300A alternator, but we can definitely afford string!  And evidently there's nothing you can't do with string!"  Though I'm sure they still put a lot of time and money into it, it gave me the feeling that that sort of boat was actually achievable for people without a major financial windfall. 

CharlieJ

hmm- TWO sailing Annie's   :) and apparently that's not who you met. That Annie's second husband is named Trevor and they are aboard a 26 footer called Fantail, in New Zealand
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Jim_ME

Quote from: Frank on November 13, 2016, 08:15:13 AM
...Have always been destination bound on the drives with no time to enjoy the tour down or home. This year I hope to make a few stops along the way to visit some old sailing friends. Looking forward to the more relaxed drive and catching up.

Good to see that you did it...:)  Barque looks quite distinguished there, guarding the companionway...

Your road trip reminds me of ones that I made years ago, and hope to do again...which, as usual, is remembered with a soundtrack...
Drive South by John Hiatt...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7pQ4iiSo6E

Frank

Great tune Jim

CJ...the young girl in the picture is "Anna"

A small boat sailing friend that I've cruised often with is Annie Westlund... a legend in the North Channel, Lake Huron,  in her own way.

Lots of sailing Annie's out there!! Must be the name 😄

CharlieJ

Oh yes, I know that Annie. She and I have emailed back and too over the years. Seems a really neat woman- wish I was able to meet her.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Too many Annie's 😄😄
I sailed with North Channel Annie for the 1st time in 05.
She joined a bunch of us Montgomery sailors on a cruise. Very proficient sailor!! She had a Sovereign 17 then, but previously sailed a Potter 15 for about 4-5 summers up there. She knew every nook and cranny.
Next cruise with her was my buddy Rick, her and I. She had just purchased a ComPac Suncat. It was a hoot as all 3 of us had the same lil gaff rigged cats. Made for some really nice pictures. She's still boating, had a small tug for a few years but just purchased a Northern 25 for next year. That's a huge boat for her!! 😄

CharlieJ

I'lll have to get back in touch. Sort of fell away, sadly
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Frank

Great flight over from New Smyrna Beach. By the time I worked my way to Green Turtle from Marsh Harbour it was too late to start on boat work so staying a friend's bunk tonight.
In at Sundowners for a rum and visit with friends. More hugs and handshakes here in 30 minutes than a few months back home. Feels great to be back!!
Allure tomorrow.

Now....why do they call it "Sundowners bar" 😄

Frank

Big day...

Add water to batteries
Solar panel put back up (get batteries charging and engel on)
Dodger, bimini up (need shade!)
Both sails on.

A fair job alone...

I'd forgotten how much I hate boat yards. I'm in the back, next to the road. Extremely little wind to cool Ya off working and they are grading and prepping the road for paving (big news on Green Turtle) which makes it a hot, dusty and loud spot!!

Boat clean up tomorrow. Hope to wax Friday morning and launch after lunch.

Will be SO much nicer afloat!!

Frank

A young couple sailed in today on a Pearson triton yawl. Very pretty boat!
Got talking to them and as the local band "Gully Roosters" was playing tonight, asked if they wanted a lift to the club as I have a golf cart untill I launch. Great to see them out!! Their deflatable dingy was leaky both with air and water. No motor...row only. Warms my heart to see them out "doing it".
An early night as they have to leave at 5:30am to make "Dont Rock passage" at mid tide. Hope to meet more younger folks throughout the year. Always a pleasure!!