News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Robert Taylor Mingming 2 rebuild

Started by KB1973, November 26, 2016, 10:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owly055

I highly recommend these.  I enjoyed watching them some time back.  Roger however doesn't voyage the way most of us do.  His boat is almost like a space capsule.  He goes to sea, and never touches land.  He hunkers down in his space capsule, rarely climbing out into the cockpit, just reaching his upper body out the hatch to do what little must be done with the sail and self steering,  and if the weather is clement, he will spend some time each day out in the cockpit.  He leaves tracks on the map, takes pictures, enjoys the challenge of voyaging in the Northern Ocean, watches whales and birds.
     The climate he voyages in is brutal, and the few places one could land can be dangerous without a motor.   He lacks even in dinghy, and his boat is his life raft.  The modifications he's done are well worth looking at.  He for example fiberglassed over the entire hull to deck seam to seal it up 100%, eliminated the washboard and sliding hatch setup in favor of water tight sea hatches, and went to great lengths to make absolutely everything water tight.  Large areas are foam filled, there are no through hulls.   He's turned his boat into a veritable unsinkable monastic cell floating on the arctic ocean.   Unfortunately unsinkability may not save your life in the Labrador sea.  Wet and cold in a boat with a broken hull due to iceberg collision, it may well just prolong your suffering, though you are far better sheltered than in one of those silly life rafts which really are only good for a short distance offshore for a brief period before rescue.   
     Roger's work on Ming Ming II is largely responsible for turning my eye toward multihulls, and specifically trimarans.  Boats designed to float rather than sink, as monohulls do.  The ability to surf the waves rather than plow through them, and of course greater speed potential and shallow draft are themselves safety factors.
     Frankly what I seek are strange lands and friendly faces to steal a title from a William O Douglas book.   I seek to explore on sea AND land, not just cruise by and look things over through a spotting scope or binoculars and say "I've been there".    That by no means is a criticism of Roger.   He's a man I greatly admire, and has been an inspiration to me.   I watch every video and hover up every piece of his writing I can lay hands on.   He's an inspiration t me, as he is to many people.

H.W.

CharlieJ

Quote from: Owly055 on December 21, 2016, 09:39:42 PM

Frankly what I seek are strange lands and friendly faces to steal a title from a William O Douglas book.   I seek to explore on sea AND land, not just cruise by and look things over through a spotting scope or binoculars and say "I've been there".   

H.W.

I agree with this totally.The reason I sail cruise is to VISIT places, and meet people. NOT to just look and mark it off. While I do admire the long distance, ocean crossing voyagers, I'm not one of them. I enjoy the PLACES
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera