Author Topic: Sawdust toilet for small head spaces  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Phantom Jim

• kARRR-ma: +5/-0
Re: Sawdust toilet for small head spaces
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »
The Humanure Handbook indicated that "dried" grass clippings work.  Apparently wet grass in a sawdust toilet will stink more that raw contained sewage!  We found the coir and peat moss to be very dusty and the head was always covered with dust.  Probably a separation style toilet will not have that issue.

The reason my son and I selected a commercial medium; pellets, peat moss or coir, is because he is unable to generate/collect suitable medium.  He also has perhaps the smallest head compartment in a 30 foot boat.  I usually generate sufficient planer shavings to supply our use, I do not usually use the pine pellets.

Certainly, the separation (composting) toilets will use considerably less medium than a collection (sawdust) toilet.  If the boat has sufficient space to install one, then there will be a lot less medium to store.  The sawdust collection toilet design was done with boats with tiny head compartments in mind.   I currently use a standard marine toilet with a holding tank, but I have that option because the Pearson 365  has a lot of room to place those components.  We have a sawdust toilet available for longer cruises where we get out of range of a pumpout station as well as a backup to our standard toilet.

This design is simply another viable toilet that is available.  It is another option that works and is very adaptable to head spaces.

Then, there is the issue of what to do with the separated urine.......
Phantom Jim

ralay

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
I figure there are pretty low tech ways to separate urine without a commercial head, especially for menfolk.  If it gets to the point where .60 cents for pine vs $2.55 for coir is a concern, why not get oneself some pee jugs and have the poop medium go a lot farther?  The 2 gallon pee jug on our Airhead doesn't do anything a couple of bottles out of the recycling bin wouldn't do.  Granted, ladies might need to add a p-style/she-wee/etc.

Offline Phantom Jim

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2017, 07:07:58 PM »
Different ways to row your boat make the world a more interesting place.  We have decided not to dump the urine overboard.  Our marina prohibits dumping "porta potty" materials into the toilets...I know, urine is not nearly as bad as the contents of a porta potty but I do not want to have that discussion with the management.  I keep dumping the sawdust toilet bags into the dumpster low key as well...why call attention to it.  I do not see the sawdust toilet ever becoming a widely used toilet system, it just seems so perfect for those small boats.
Phantom Jim

ralay

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
For sure.  If it works for you, it's all good.  I'm writing for other folks who might be weighing the pros and cons of different systems more than I'm trying to talk anyone in particular out of the system they already know works for them.

Offline Phantom Jim

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 08:08:40 PM »
Good approach, it is not my job to tell some one what to do, just give information as well.  Sometimes in the marine sanitation world you have to chose from the best device from some pretty unpleasant choices..... The more information one has, the better the result should be.
Phantom Jim

Offline Phantom Jim

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2017, 12:47:05 PM »
A couple more pictures:
Baba 2 is how John actually has and uses the toilet, bags and a Luggable Loo lid
Baba 3 is how the base is bolted to the shelf using the same bolts that held the old marine head
Phantom Jim

Offline Phantom Jim

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2018, 09:07:01 AM »
Update on sawdust toilet medium:  I recently purchased a microcut paper shredder which generates the microcut shreds shown in the photo.  These paper shreds work similar to pine pellets and are satisfactory for use in our sawdust toilets.  The onboard stowage is bulkier than pine pellets but a 5 gallon contractors bucket of hand compressed shreds appears to have enough for three or four cycles.  These shreds are much neater to use than crosscut shreds which got everywhere.  There is no dust either.

The use paper which is ground up for privacy/security measures is very planet friendly and does not cost anything, assuming you have a need to shred your records. I would not recommend buying a microcut shredder solely to make sawdust toilet medium.
Phantom Jim