Steamboat Pass and Espiritu Santo Bay

Started by Phantom Jim, January 04, 2017, 03:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom Jim

Does anyone have any experience with Steamboat Pass on the west side of Espiritu Santo Bay, Coastal Bend, Texas?  I was curious whether this was a viable pass to move from Espiritu Santo Bay to San Antonio Bay?  My draft is 4'6".
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

You might make it if you are very careful. But my boat draws 3'6" and I'd sure hesitate. Where are you trying to go?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

A friend and I were discussing Panther Point in San Antonio Bay as a potential anchorage.  Steamboat Pass might be a transit between Espiritu Santo Bay and San Antonio Bay without the round-a-bout trek of going back into the ICW.

Curiosity as well.  Maybe steamboats passed through there before there was an ICW.
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

Yes- the pass further up is known as MailBoat channel Good chance you could do it. just go slowly
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

We may be down that way in April or May.  I will post if I get through there.  I did anchor at Panther Point in October 1983.  It was a serene anchorage in the mile autumn weather.

I have a keen interest in the lower Colorado River diversion channel.  That area looks like an African Queen type of adventure.
Phantom Jim

Phantom Jim

I thought that Mailboat Channel was in the NE corner of Espiritu Santo Bay?  I do not think that area would be amenable to my draft nor would it connect me into San Antonio Bay.

That whole area is God's finest cruising ground.  Great sunrises, better sunsets.  Fish, Crabs...what else do you need?
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

LOL
with the exception of maybe the west coast of Florida, and the Bahamas, we pretty much have it, yes

Used to weekend all over down there in my previous boat.m But it only drew 2 feet. Tehani's 3'6 has cut me out of some spots. But there are other.

And yes MailBoat is at the NE end. Close to Salura Bayou. Comes out roughly into Fisherman's Cut, there at the fish camp on the ICW
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Phantom Jim

Anybody going to be sailing or cruising the Texas Coast this summer?  I have a mind to investigate Chocolate Bayou and Bastrop Bayou for potential cruising destinations....although neither seems to have any facilities.  Any comments?
Phantom Jim

CharlieJ

Few actual facilities on water on Texas coast, other than MAJOR spots- Galveston, Port Lavaca, etc. One of the nice things- very little civilization LOTs of primitive spots
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera