News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Boat Opportunity!!??

Started by Seadogdave, January 10, 2017, 07:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seadogdave

Fellow sail-far sailors - There she is on Craig's List:  http://richmond.craigslist.org/boa/5936818661.html  .    Although I haven't seen it, this could be one of those exceptional opportunities that come with the world of boats, putting my mind on a roller coaster again.  My wife being the sensible one. says no.  She is right of course.  We've spent several years modifying and fixing up an old Catalina 27 I acquired for practically nothing.  She's almost ready for extended cruising, which with our plans will begin in June 2018 when the retirement, health care stuff, and life circumstances come together.  I've always been the guy that believes in small is better and the KISS principle.  Most of the bigger boats never leave the dock.  Plus (a big issue) is I don't think I can realistically afford anything bigger.  A 27 footer is relatively cheap to outfit and operate.  I can be sail ready in 5 minutes.  I can singlehand it.  It is do-able.  Oh My - but seeing this add on Craig's List sure sets my mind a spinning - what a beautiful vessel!  Maybe it is an opportunity for someone out there in different circumstances.
Seadogdave

SailorTom

Run away. Unless you have buckets of money and loads of time to burn. Been around some wood boats, my limit is about 16ft LOA from hear on out.  :o
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

Phantom Jim

Has anyone read the Uncle Remus story about Brer Rabbit and the Tar Baby.......?
Phantom Jim

CapnK

Quote from: Seadogdave on January 10, 2017, 07:32:13 AM
We've spent several years modifying and fixing up an old Catalina 27 I acquired for practically nothing.  She's almost ready for extended cruising, which with our plans will begin in June 2018 when the retirement, health care stuff, and life circumstances come together.

Let me offer yet another own worn-out aphorism, meaning essentially the same as the others have posted: "A bird in hand..." :D

I've come to think all boats have a "minimum cost" (or 'MC'), and, until you reach that amount of spent money and time, they will be basically unfit for serious use. Bigger boats, bigger MC. Wood boat like this one, have a really high MC. :D Run, don't walk - but *do* keep dreaming, that never costs a dime. ;)

My $0.02
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Seadogdave

All great advice!  I quickly came to me senses after a good night sleep.  I was reminded how many times I have announced that I am so glad I have a little boat.  It is what I can afford, I can single-hand it, and I start up and go after 5 minutes of preparation.  It can also take me anywhere I want to go.  I've seen bigger boats hardly leave the dock, let alone actually travel anywhere.  And when I have sailed on larger boats, I've realized I actually enjoy the sailing more with my smaller boat (a 27 footer), being closer to the water, being more responsive to light winds, venturing into shallower waters,  and the list goes on.  June 2018 my wife and I will sail far!!  By the way, the guy said it was fiberglass with a wood core.  I'm not sure what that means, except that maybe it is balsa cored.  I hear that can be a real mess when it rots.
Seadogdave

maxiSwede

Quote from: CapnK on January 12, 2017, 08:40:17 PM
Quote from: Seadogdave on January 10, 2017, 07:32:13 AM
We've spent several years modifying and fixing up an old Catalina 27 I acquired for practically nothing.  She's almost ready for extended cruising, which with our plans will begin in June 2018 when the retirement, health care stuff, and life circumstances come together.
Let me offer yet another own worn-out aphorism, meaning essentially the same as the others have posted: "A bird in hand..." :D

I've come to think all boats have a "minimum cost" (or 'MC'), and, until you reach that amount of spent money and time, they will be basically unfit for serious use. Bigger boats, bigger MC. Wood boat like this one, have a really high MC. :D Run, don't walk - but *do* keep dreaming, that never costs a dime. ;)

My $0.02

Well said!  ....and snuff said! 

Though I really like our current "big" boat, it IS bigger expenses, it takes Longer to get under sail, and last but not least, it IS not quite as fun to sail.....so bottom line, stay as small as possible. Size in itself adds comfort, but also maintenance work and cost to counterbalance it.

I bought a little 28footer, 42 y o racer, "H-boat" back in Sweden last summer, what a joy to sail!
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com