Bucking like a drunken mule in slip. Help?

Started by lastgreatgeneration, January 10, 2017, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

I signed a 3 month contract with a marina at the mouth of spa creek in Eastport. I asked if there was much fetch here and they assured me there wasn't any fetch. All of the boats here are hobby horsing wildly. I'm banging off of the piling with my fender board and huge fenders off of the dock side. It's creaking, banging and rocking like crazy. Not very windy even. The boat lurched so suddenly earlier I almost fell when I was standing up. Is there anything I can do to minimize the motion? It seems to get like this when the winds are out of the north.

I have 5/8" 25' dock lines and one long spring line in a 40' slip. I was thinking I may be able to throw out a weight or an anchor to one side. I'm not seasick or anything but there are lots of people who couldn't even set foot on this boat without getting sick.

Thanks.

CharlieJ

Try adding some sort of spring in the upwind lines, to soften the lurch. Some use the rubber snubbers, some in my marina use garage door springs in additional lines.

My marina is well protected, but the entrance faces north, and when it blows, boats DO bounce..
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

also, I've anchored three times in Spa Creek, but never been in a marina . One of my favorite places, Annapolis
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

lance on cloud nine

it would be interesting to see if turning the boat around in the slip would help at all. (assuming that the dock would still allow easy access)
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

lastgreatgeneration

One problem is that the walkway between the slips is on the northern side, it seems to be mainly wave action that causes this. It's not so bad really I just have to watch the hot pans and coffee.

w00dy

Have you considered asking for a new slip?

Maybe you can use some lines and gate springs to tie down the bow and stern and dampen the motion.

Sounds like you knew coming in that you might have an issue. Sucks that they mistakenly led to you believe otherwise.

w00dy

Did you ever have any luck solving your rough water problem? It was blowing 40mph over here on the Eastern Shore today, but we're thankfully tucked far up a creek with all around protection. Didn't stop me from wondering if a tree was going to fall on my head though....Hold Fast!