Chesapeake cruise, Rendezvous??

Started by Frank, June 01, 2006, 04:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I'm off to a 'group cruise' with other trailer-sailors for a week on the Chesapeake. I'm taking my lil suncat. Gotta be a hoot...there will be M15's,M17's a compac 16 etc. Never done this before as a group,but should be real fun. I'll let you's now how it goes in a week and a bit.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

WOW,

I am right now packing for a trip up to Deal, MD.  I am picking up an Ariel that I am delivering for a friend. 

My plan is to try to make Soloman's Island the first day (about 30 miles) and then just kinda see from there.  I will be bringing it back to my marina here on the New River in NC. 

The trip should be something like 550-600 miles, and I am looking to do it in 8-14 days.

Be on the lookout for 'Ariel Spirit' southbound.   ;D

It would be pretty cool to see you out there!.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Pixie Dust

Craig, have a safe passage!!  Enjoy! 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

s/v Faith

Well, we ticked off mile 180 of our trip from Deale, MD to the New River, NC

'Ariel Spirit' Hull #3 has performed wonderfully!

I am typing this from the courtesy dock at Elizabeth City, after Rose and I stepped for on land for the first time in the last 4 days (had a wonderful dinner at Groupers, and made the Rose brothers 'party' at the town dock).

Day one, out of Deale was one of the best days sailing I have ever had.  Had 25-30 knots on a broad Stbd reach for the entire day.....  ;D  Started late, but still made Solomans Is. in time to watch the last of the sun set.

Day 2 we got caught out in a gale.... pretty nasty, I heard reports of 2 capsized boats (well, powerboats anyway) and listened to one conversation involving a rescue of some folks from a 27' Bayliner (?) that started taking on water and sunk(?!?!).

We are doing well, and I will catch up more later.  Just wanted to give a quick update to let everyone know we were alive and well.

;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

Nice, fair winds! have fun for all of us! ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

oded kishony

>Had 25-30 knots on a broad Stbd reach for the entire day.....<

That's a lot of wind! What sails did you set? Did you reef the main?

Oded Kishony

xroyal

Frank, looking forward to your tales with the trailer crusing crowd...especially as I just joined the group with my new to me Santana 22.

http://home.earthlink.net/~xroyal/public_html/Santana.jpg
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Frank

Just back....what a HOOT !!!!! I've never gone with a 'group' before...it was fun..all like minded , small boat addicts who trailered in from all over. I came the farthest @ 807miles one way. We met up at a neet lil marina,launched and were off exploring.There were 3 M17's , 4 M15's and my compac suncat. All shoal water trailer-sailers.These guys sail !! We did very little motoring at all..I only used 2 gallons all week !! We'd have breakie..shoot the breeze a bit and be off exploring. Come anchor time , we would usually raft up..make dinner on board ..have a few brews and talk boats. The local people down in S Virginia are REAL friendly..continually offering us use of their facilities or welcoming us in one way or another. SUPER nice folks !! The lower Chesapeake is FULL of little inlets,bays and creeks...perfect for a group of gunk holing little boats to explore. It's also full of jelly fish , so the swimming was limited to one fellow dumping the dingy. All in all we had blast .. can't waite to go again with these guys...real good sailers..real nice group!!  Maine is next in August.There really is NOTHING more fun than kicking around in a little boat....add 7 more and you have a party!!

Zen

That sounds great Frank. Happy for you.
and er... where did you say you put those pictures?  ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Frank

I have no luck posting pics here lately...got lots though. I called it the "mini navy"

xroyal

Good for ya Frank. I'm originally a Virginian, lived near the Bay, and you're dead on about the hospitality. You're making some of us pretty envious!

Maybe some pics in the Pearson forum gallery?
John
Santana 22 #195
SoOregon

Frank

Sure...I'll post a few under 'sailing-events' in the Ariel forum

CapnK

Frank -

Let's set up a time to get your picture-posting-problems fixed, either via phone, IM, or email. Send me a PM, and we'll set it up - maybe for this Tue or Wed, evening sometime?
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

I just read up in the introductions section a thought about a New Jersey rendezvous.  Hmm.  The basis of a thought...

I wonder if there would be interest this summer in a Chesapeake Rendezvous.  I'm sure I've seen a number of us who are located in the Chessy area.  Could be fun.

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

oded kishony

I might be up for it, depending on where on the Chesapeake. I'm located in Urbanna on the Rappahononck River.

odedkishony

Godot

Well, I guess it would depend on who was interested and where they are located.

I'm berthed in Pasadena, MD which is just a few miles outside of Baltimore.  I am going to try and take two weeks off for sailing this year, which could theoretically put me anywhere on the Chesapeake (I am seriously considering a DelMarVa circumnavigation).  Assuming a number of folks where interested and pretty well evenly split along the bay something in the area of the Choptank or Little Choptank Rivers would seem to be about in the middle.  Personally, I'm open to most anything. 

Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse for a trip?  ;)
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"

K3v1n

Sounds interesting.
I'm up in South jersey and depending on time and location I could get the crazy idea of trailering my boat down.

I would have to run that by the Admiral of course.  :o

-Kevin

Auspicious

I'm getting together with some friends sometime in June (not scheduled yet) to do man overboard drills. We'll be somewhere in the Annapolis - Rock Hall area.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

K3v1n

June won't work for me as I'm taking an ASA course on the first weekend, then my son graduates HS on the 15th and I'll be having family in town for a few weeks.

-Kevin

Godot

Four possibly interested.  Probably need a few more to really get things cranking.

If, however, there isn't enough interest for a planned event, I would love to meet up for a day or two of sailing with anyone who is looking to explore the Chesapeake a bit.  I can pretty readily sail anyplace north of Annapolis.  Further south is fine, but requires a little advance planning.  The Chesapeake is, after all, fairly large.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"