Living on legal Mooring while holding a job?

Started by Coco~Nut, April 06, 2017, 06:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coco~Nut

Hi, Is anyone out here living aboard on a legal mooring near a marina and holding a job for income? I would probably do a transit in the marina once a week to do laundry, hot shower, and ..... Is it unrealistic to take this lifestyle? I have a small budget in the kitty of 400 a month, and would like to add maybe another 800 or so for a fairly comfortable living while mooring. I will be on a 28 foot vessel and it is set up for this arrangement.... small portable generator, battery bank, heat.... Planing to purchase in late May and move aboard. I lived aboard a 27' Nor'Sea for three years, but in a Marina. Any ideas or sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated. Mike 

ralay

Woody and I worked while living at anchor last year. 

The number one thing for me is whether or not I think I can safely make the dinghy ride in ALL conditions.  When cruising, it's a lot easier to time your trips ashore for daylight, good weather, favorable current, etc.  If you have to go to work, you need to go when work says so.  The feasibility​ of that is hugely dependent on your specific location.

I don't know your site.  How long is the fetch?  What's it like during a gale?  Thunderstorm?  Fog?  Dark?  Contrary current?  Some combination of the above?  Imagine a worst case scenario and you'll probably be peaking out at it some morning when it's time to go to work.

The place we anchored last summer (in MA) had lots of challenges: strong current, big fetch, spring gales, summer thunderstorms, occasional fog.  On the other hand, our winter creek here in MD is tiny and perfectly flat in all weather.  There's never been a day this winter I wouldn't​ feel safe rowing across it. 

Maybe you can go to your proposed site in foul weather and check it out or ask the locals?  Even if it's somewhere between the extremes I listed, maybe you can help make it work by getting a larger temporary dinghy (Jon boat?) or using a water taxi on the really sketchy days?

If you have other specific concerns, I'll try to chime in.  That's the only one I can think of that's specific to working.  The rest are ones that most all cruisers share.

cap-couillon

Would say 60% of our "year round" boats on the moorings work at least part time in the (summer) off season and full time in the winter. Maybe 20% of the "snow-birds" pick up jobs in the season...

Weather can be an issue even in a well protected harbor like Boot Key. 25-30 kts while not normal are far from unusual. Out of the NE ya got a pretty fair fetch and it can get a bit sporty in a rowing dink or kayak. Mooring field in Key West which is essentially an open road-stead, can get downright dangerous in a good blow.

Showers,  dinghy docks, parking, bike racks etc included in mooring rent... $325 / month
Cap' Couillon

"It seemed like a good idea at the time"
SailingOffTheEdge.com

CharlieJ

Mooring field in Key West  is horrible if it's blowing- and LONG dinghy ride- sure would NOT want to row
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Coco~Nut

Hello everyone ~ I would like to thank everyone here who took the time to help me with your responses. I appreciate all the good information. I have decided that I will not go out on a mooring and will take the conveniences of a Marina. I am 56 years of age and had some pretty serious injuries in my life. So, after reviewing all the replies and allowing it all to soak in I know this will be the best choice for me. You all are great. Thank you and enjoy your life on the water! Regards Mike   8)

SailorTom

My wife and I lived aboard a free mooring in the Annapolis MD area which was about 100yrds to a public ramp and legal street parking. We had an old Geo Prizim(Toyota Corolla) which we left on the street, it was never bothered since it was tucked into a nice residential area. It was very protected creek so over the course of a year only once was I not able to row(no motor) my hard dinghy, luckily it was after work. Just have to choose your location carefully.
No marina, we just used public laundry and "showered" aboard. Water was a pain, virtually every trip ashore we had 5gal water containers with us, never waste an opportunity to fill the tanks. But a soon as the job was done we cruised south to miss the winter!!

Good luck it can be done!
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

lastgreatgeneration

I know you said morning but. I spend 9 months a year on anchor. My monthly boat related expenses are near zero. In the winter about $355 a month at a marina. I work a decent paying job around DC. I always lock up my dinghy and hatch cover. I hope this helps. IMHO the Chesapeake/DC region is a great way to fund the cruising kitty.