News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Mona NOBO 2017

Started by ralay, April 24, 2017, 08:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norman

I looked at Saco on Google Earth, and it appeared to be a quiet, out of the way town, at the head of navigation.  The flow of water over the hydro electric dam suggests a steady supply of fresh water at the time the pictures were taken, and the generators were almost certainly at max, also from the water disturbances below the dam.  The water in the river must be pretty clean, as they have a fish ladder.

That certainly appears to be a snug hurricane hole.

Don't expect high end stores or classy restaurants, though!  For the two of you, the real question is how far to a large grocery store.

By the way, tell Woody, I have seen many painting by famous artists, including Winslow Homer, with waves and clouds that look just like his!  Mona is very photogenic too.  Nice job of sailing her, Ralay!  (Auto correct does not like Ralay)

ralay

Actually, I wouldn't say it's a backwater place.  There's a place that serves vegan pizza and a microdistillery within 2 blocks and a big fancy grocery store within walking distance.  If you want more, the Amtrak station is on the island by the dam and will get you to Portland in 15-20 min (for $5, I think). 

You are right about the water being clean.  I rowed a couple miles and I only saw one soda can.  So 3 times as many seals as pieces of garbage.  Pretty good ratio. We've seen huge fish jumping, mink, and lots of birds.  It's fresh and warm too.  We swam a bit on our first stop.  The bottom is sand between the rock banks.  Really, a likeable town. 

Cruisers seem to stop at Wood Harbor to sleep and then move on.  We haven't meet any other cruisers who've been into the Saco. 

Frank

I googled the town....pretty place!
Easy to see why you would spend some time there.
Even better if it's not busy.
Have fun
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

ralay

Jim_ME has been playing host and tour guide, so we've got to explore much farther than we could by foot and bike.  We all went down to Cape Elizabeth today to watch the big swells smash on the rocks.  I imagine there's a lot of surfing going on down in Long Island Sound.  Supposedly we have a small craft advisory, but there's not a breath of wind upriver.  Totally flat and smooth.   

Frank

Great you two are spending some time with Jim.
I'm sure you are ALL having fun!!

CharlieJ

Good deal- I totally enjoyed my visit with Jim
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Here's a short video clip of some footage from cruising this year. Hope you enjoy it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSFAgscSs7A

Frank

Great video.
The fog early on and rocky shores looks like it could be out here.
The tall ship sure was beautiful!!
Have fun!

Jim_ME

Last night during chatting, Charlie asked something about our daysail on Mona. It has got me thinking about how it was about this time of year, now 4 years ago. I got to meet Woody and RaLay--and Mona.

When I told them of the plans to camp out at a State Park not far from the Northwest part of Casco Bay, they sailed Mona up to South Freeport and anchored on the Harrseeket River. Charlie flew in from visiting friends in Wisconsin, and I got to pick him up at the airport and meet him in person after years of being friends on this site.

Just a excerpt from the Casco Bay chart and a rough plot of our route that day from memory. Thought that I would start a new thread, but remembered this one and have re-read many of the posts from that time, which of course have a poignancy that they did not have at the time of their posting. I think that it belongs here.

Things change... relationships change, boats eventually are sold, moving up or down...or sideways... life moves on...

But the memories of a good sail in good company are precious and enduring things, and I wish that for all and especially each of you on this sail.

Here is the link to the chart for those that want to explore and zoom in and see more detail...
https://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13290.shtml

Norman

Nice cruise, Jim, and re reading is a pleasure repeated.

Thanks for the post and connection to the original thread.

Jim_ME

Thank you, Norm. Should have said my initial thought was to do a quick mark-up of the route and email it to Charlie. Then it occurred to me that I could post it here... (Duh!  ???).

Frank

Quote from: Jim_ME on July 30, 2021, 02:15:01 PM

Things change... relationships change, boats eventually are sold, moving up or down...or sideways... life moves on...

But the memories of a good sail in good company are precious and enduring things, and I wish that for all and especially each of you on this sail.

Well said Jim...
I look back at pictures of past group cruises, the awesome times and friendships. Many have sold their boats now, others have moved... but the memories are precious.

CharlieJ

and it was a great visit, and many memorable pics
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

And I met Woody and Raylay way back when they first got  Mona. I watched ( and occasionally helped)throughout the entire rebuild. I have pics of Rachel using my shop to do some of the work, and even still have some wood that came off the teak decks. Sailed aboard here in Port Lavaca
before they took off cruising. Great folks.

Very sorry to have lost touch with Rachel. Still hear from Woody now and again
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

w00dy

Here's to good memories!  ;D

CapnK

http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)