ANNAPOLIS ANCHORING VIOLATIONS

Started by lastgreatgeneration, April 30, 2017, 07:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

As some of you may know there is a new harbor master Beth. After "flip" Walters was let go over a year ago. I have been living in Annapolis waters for almost 3 years and had no problems until now. Let me preface this with the facts: I have always have gotten a pump out when needed (25 gal tank) one person living aboard. I also have a bebi anchor light that has been on every night, dusk till dawn.  I work throughout the week, gone from 4:15 am to 3:30 pm, I am aboard every night. I dropped my anchoring permit within the 30 days of my last registration. I dropped my new monthly registration in the harbor master mail box last Thursday which was the 28th. I received seveveral violations Friday on 4/28/17. One of which states that I must get a pump out by 4/30/17, I already committed to work Saturday and could not get a pump out within reasonable working hours. FAILURE TO COMPLY WILL RESULT IN CIVIL CHARGES is stated on the form. This was stated on the bottom of the form. I have done nothing wrong and I am aboard every night, get pump outs when needed and usually register in person but last time I was here it was just after hours and left it in the mailbox.

I am deeply concerned that Annapolis is going to become exactly like Florida, a knee jerk reaction dealing with a handful of individuals. Where can we start to keep anchoring law technicalities from affecting people from visiting Annapolis, and law abiding people that reside here?

I am going to the harbor masters office Monday to sort his out. I will keep you all posted. I plan on calling on a pump out asap 9am Monday morning and hopefully meet with Beth tomorrow and try to sort this out. We need to stop this sort of nonsense before it starts!

I could not attach file from my iPad because it's too big. I was going to post the actual violation, I can send it along if a moderator is willing to resize and repost it.

SailorTom

I hope you can sort things out to your satisfaction. My wife and I lived in Annapolis for a couple years but specifically avoided areas with Harbor Masters authority. Unfortunately in my experience, Harbor Masters can be petty little bureaucrats as bad as any.  Of course many times they are responding to the shore side elites who don't want "their" water view upset by those ugly boats.
S/V Phoenix Triton 28 #190
Tiki 30 #164 (Year 4 of a 2 year build)
Spray a Siren 17
Luger Leeward 16
Plans for a Hitia 17

Frank

God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
-- Ronald Reagan

???   ::)   :P

Best of luck with the situation and the new HM...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

w00dy

I'd like to hear how it goes. Hoping you can explain the situation and get it straightened out.

lastgreatgeneration

Quote from: w00dy on May 16, 2017, 12:31:00 AM
I'd like to hear how it goes. Hoping you can explain the situation and get it straightened out.

This was a long time ago. I have since moved to a marina, also have a different boat also just bought a house in Annapolis. They have been trying to strong arm people out of the anchor spots since then. It seems like they have calmed down. Nobody I have ever talked to likes Beth the new harbormaster, lots and lots of people are very unhappy.

sharkbait

It's  just civil, who cares ? Let them prove that you didn't get a pumpout.
No wife, no kids, no debt.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: sharkbait on January 22, 2019, 09:14:55 PM
It's  just civil, who cares ?

Principle of the thing?  Why is it the HM's business when he gets a pump-out so long as there is no evidence he's polluting the harbor?

In NC a few years ago, someone was after passing a law that would have made it a $25,000 fine...yes, that's the right number of zeros...to be in NC waters without a pump-out LOG showing your pump-out HISTORY and I guess signed / certified by the good folks that pump out boats.

There was so much wrong with that; it was just insane on a lot of levels.  At the risk of veering "political," give a bureaucrat an inch, they will take 30 miles.

Dig the awesome thread necromancy, but it's an interesting general topic; places to anchor are shrinking, and this kind of poop ... pun? ... is just one of the hooks ...another pun?... used to pressure boaters out.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Sorry to hear about the hassle you're getting.
On another site  couple of months ago folks from that area were saying the new HM was trying to outlaw "composting" toilets because they couldn't log the pump outs. Hope it works out for you
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

lastgreatgeneration

Quote from: misfits on April 20, 2019, 03:08:19 PM
Sorry to hear about the hassle you're getting.
On another site  couple of months ago folks from that area were saying the new HM was trying to outlaw "composting" toilets because they couldn't log the pump outs. Hope it works out for you

Thank you friend. I also learned that Annapolis has a 2 week stay for people with a composting head. Alas, I already glassed over the thru hulls for a composting head before learning this. This rule also affects areas of south Florida and the Florida keys. Buyer beware.

Life and career has caught op with me for the time being. Going to get the cape dory up to Bristol condition, sell her then move on to a Sabre 32. Meanwhile stocking the brokerage account with dividend paying stocks. Life is truely a struggle for all of us, just getting by the best we can. Grog to you all.
Dan on SV/ORCA Annapolis MD

CapnK

Quote from: misfits on April 20, 2019, 03:08:19 PM
...HM was trying to outlaw "composting" toilets because they couldn't log the pump outs...

Idea: Save a dated sample from each 'dump' of the head. Best, in a clear plastic bag. When asked, produce for them a REAL, heck, even 3D, 'log' of your activities... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

I have a composter, and have recently glassed over the underwater thru-hulls as well. But, I left the deck pump out fitting in place. Something told me I might need it someday.

I figure if I'm in a situation like you mention, I could plumb a portable five gallon water container to the pumpout fitting, and just periodically dump the pee buckets into the bigger container. It will give them something to pump out. It's sort of a kludgy way around a stupid problem; but bureaucracy is a beast. 
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Bob J (ex-misfits)

A Sabre 32 is a really nice boat, nice choice!
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!