News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Electric Drive

Started by Bob J (ex-misfits), May 07, 2017, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob J (ex-misfits)

I got the kit over the winter, been thinking about it & have finally decided on how to execute the install. Tried to post a picture of the goodies but keep getting a file to big error message. How do others post pictures here?

Bob
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

CharlieJ

click on "attachments and Other opions" just under the posting block

Go down to Attach

use Browse to find your pic

This is if on your hard drive

OR

in the little icons above the posting block - lower left icon is "insert a image" Click on that and insert the location of the image between the coding there. Use that if image is NOT on your drive

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bob J (ex-misfits)

No cigar CJ. I still end up with file's to big error.
Go figure...

CharlieJ

Download a program such as Paint.net (free) and downsize it. I commonly set mine at 800 x whatever pixels, which is large enough for computer screens
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

SeaHusky

I use photo bucket. Free and gives you a direct link to copy/paste.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

This isn't going to happen.
Sorry guys

ralay

This is why all my sailing photos wind up on Facebook.  I'm waaaay too lazy to mess with uploading everything to another hosting site then coming back to post it here.

CharlieJ

??? Why?  They start on your drive. Takes two minutes to resize. No biggie
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

My photos are on my phone, which is also my exclusive source of internet.  I think that's probably common for folks who are "out there."

Resizing photos or uploading them to image hosting sites and then reposting them to sailfar might take you 2 minutes on your laptop/desktop at your house with unlimited wifi, but it's really cumbersome to do on my phone.  I can put a photo on FB in about three clicks of big buttons.

Now I TOTALLY understand why the folks bottom lining this site don't want to have to host a bunch of images.  Not criticizing that at all.  I only bring it up because I think it's relevant to the other thread where we were talking about why there aren't more folks "out there" on here. 

I think sites without a really mobile friendly interface are inadvertently selecting against participation by folks actively out adventuring.

CharlieJ

a quick question- can you put them in the SailFar Gallery? I haven't added a photo there in a good while so don't know
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

ralay

Are you asking me, CJ, or misfits?

CharlieJ

LOL You. I've never tried to post a pic from my phone, so I don't know if it would work., or how. I know folks do it to various forums but I really don't know how.

Oh- and I have a personal question for you if you'll text or email- or call
:)
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Whether my phone or pc, same result.
Most photos are twice the kb? that are allowed as an individual photo but you can post up to four pictures long as it doesn't exceed four times that of an individual photo.
Sorry, doesn't make sense.....

CapnK

Photos can now be 4mb in file size. Do we need more? See post in Site Info area...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Bob J (ex-misfits)

These are just the components. Now I get to fabricate a gear reduction & put it all together.

ralay

What all are we looking at?  And what are your plans for tying it all together? 

Bob J (ex-misfits)

It's a 10 kw, 48 volt brushless electric motor that replaces an internal combustion motor for auxiliary propulsion. Once I get it installed I'll post a couple of pictures.

ralay

What's the component on the right that looks like it has a big heat sink? 

Owly055

Quote from: misfits on May 11, 2017, 05:05:28 PM
It's a 10 kw, 48 volt brushless electric motor that replaces an internal combustion motor for auxiliary propulsion. Once I get it installed I'll post a couple of pictures.

This looks to me like an AC induction motor of some sort with an inverter to drive it..... Is that more or less correct?

I look forward to hearing the real world performance of these electric drives.  I've long felt that the marketing claims are more than a little bit outrageous I could see where on an extended voyage in a multihull where there is lots of room for solar panels, just a kt or two when in light airs could be really nice.

One thing I've learned this year that I didn't know about batteries is that the total KWH in and out governs the life expectancy of batteries, regardless of the depth of discharge.... assuming deep cycle batteries of course.   That means two things to me.  Firstly, that it pays to use power directly off the solar panels as much as possible, secondly that it makes sense to use as few batteries as you can get away with, and use them hard so you can benefit from the warranty, because warranties are based on time, not usage.   Thirdly, that it makes sense to store energy in ways other than batteries............  My favorite example is to make ice to refrigerate with, as opposed to running a refrigerator off batteries.   
     If I sound like a cheapskate........ well the truth is that I am.   It goes hand in hand with being poor   ;-)

H.W.

Bob J (ex-misfits)

The device on the heat sink is a sevcon motor controller. The motor itself is a 3 phase ac motor. The controller input is 48 volts dc.
Yea some of the claims/propaganda regarding range are not sound & based on junk.
Conservative range estimate with 220 ah fla battery bank at 50% dod, 3 hours @ 3.5 knots. If you add some solar or run a 2000 watt generator in hybrid mode, you can run all day. It'll be interesting to see how this all shakes out.