Replacing vee berth holding tank for water tank

Started by lastgreatgeneration, May 21, 2017, 11:58:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lastgreatgeneration

Yesterday I removed all the marine head, plumping and vee berth waste holding tank. I can't find any information about what size and part number the forward tank is, I would assume it's a replaceable part. I would estimate the tank is 19 gallons, as I have read that was the size of a cd 31 tank.

Also I removed the seacocks and thruhulls for the head. I made short work of them with grinding an X with an angle grinder on the outside, then using a cold flat chisel to break off the tabs. Removing the 2 head seacocks took about 20 minutes.

I intend to properly glass and fair the holes from the inside and then sand and paint. Then installing a natures head compounding toilet. Also taking many photos of each process.

So, would it be a good idea to replace the vee berth watertank with the same size tank? Also does anyone know a model number or a good place that can locate the proper size tank?

Next project is ripping out the head sink and cabinetry, replacing that with usable shelves for organized storage. There is a considerable sized hull liner that makes everything inside kind of weird, the tank fits into pre molded section. So any other additions would probably include cutting away the liner.

Anyways, lots of stuff to think about right now. Thanks.

Frank

There are several roto molded marine tank suppliers.
A google search will turn up enough to keep you busy a long while trying to find the best fit-price combo.
Have fun!
One link below.....450 tanks!'

http://ronco-plastics.com/newRonco/ProductCatalogs/Marine2017.pdf
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Google marine water tanks. There is a company out of Cal. that sells Ronco's vanilla(rectangular) tanks at a decent discount. If you can't find it let me know, I'll post the link tomorrow.
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Bob J (ex-misfits)

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

Owly055

Polyethylene is a typical material for a water tank, and it is also a very easy plastic to weld, one of the easiest.  It would be pretty neat to simply build a tank to fit the space you have.  Weld temps are fairly low (518F), and filler rod is readily available, none of the equipment is expensive.   Some are hot air guns, and others irons like a soldering iron.   Boats have odd shaped spaces, so the ideal tank would be home built.   Starting with a factory built tank, and shaping it to fit the space.   Polyethylene comes in 3 forms,   Normal polyethylene, high density polyethylene, and ultra high molecular weight polyethylene.   The first is most common in tanks, and both can be welded, but require rod specific to the density of the material, and different temps.......by about 50 deg F.   
     I've welded plastics for many years using an ordinary soldering iron with a new clean tip, and material from identical parts, but the best results are achieved from fairly accurate temp control, both air and iron having their uses.     The process is common enough that even Harbor Freight has inexpensive plastic welding equipment available.

H.W.