News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New Boom Gallows

Started by w00dy, May 31, 2017, 11:45:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

w00dy

Our old laminated boom gallows was getting pretty rotten in spots so I figured it was time to make a new one.

I had the tools to glue up a new one, varnished bright to match the tiller, but my frugal nature got the better of me, so I elected instead to use some "scrap" 3/4" plywood that was piled up in my grandparents' shed.

(It was actually their old bed frame which I had recently deconstructed. Hate to let material go to waste!)

I glued three layers to make a vertical lamination, coated thoroughly with epoxy, then roughed out the shape to approximate the old one.

Then, using a spiling technique I learned for bottom planking, made a symmetrical curve to fit the frame and cut the notches for the boom.

Some sanding and fairing took place, then I covered the top with a layer of glass cloth for abrasion resistance and protection of the endgrain.

Since the plywood was pretty ugly, I ended up painting the boom gallows to match our name boards.

Mona is now slightly more colorful than before, and hopefully this one will resist rotting away for a while!

lastgreatgeneration

very nice work. I have a few questions though.
Why do I need one?
Is it worth installing one?
What benefits will it give me?

I have been doing lots of wood working projects lately. I guess I'm looking for more. Solid mahogany is $7 a board foot at the wood store here.

Thanks,
Dan

w00dy

Thanks for the compliment, Dan.

A boom gallows is certainly not necessary, but I like ours because:

- it acts as redundancy to secure the boom. In a serious blow, we can lash our rather long and heavy boom to the frame and it will relieve pressure on our mainsheet and topping lift.

- the topping lift will only secure the boom vertically, but the frame will hold it in place horizontally as well.

-On most boats, to keep the boom from working back and forth, one has to tighten down on the vang/mainsheet very hard. Usually there is still a little play and the resulting chafe/wear on components like your gooseneck. Also, keeping your mainsheet permanently loaded will reduce it's elasticity and it's effective working life. We are out cruising and are often anchored in less than perfectly protected harbors. As a result I think our boat sees a greater than average amount of rolling, pitching, and jostling about, so we try to pay extra attention to reducing chafe and wear.

-should our topping lift ever break/loosen, it will hopefully protect our heads from a sound smashing!

-it serves as a strong, secure handhold/brace when heeled and sailing offshore. Our lifelines are incorporated into it and it is much stronger than the other stanchions because it is connected across the top.

-it looks salty :p

That being said.....

-it adds weight and windage.
-takes up space in the cockpit where a regular bimini might be placed
-is one more component to paint/varnish/maintain.
-probably makes more sense on traditionally rigged boats like big gaffers with long heavy booms than on small, lightweight, more modern boats.

YMMV.

ralay

Have a grog for a nice write up and because I like having a boom gallows I can't stick my finger through.

Bubba the Pirate

Nice!

Mine doesn't have the nice bronze ends, it just sits in a couple brackets on a stainless tube frame.  I think I agree with all your positives though.
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Bob J (ex-misfits)

That's pretty kool, nice job!
I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

CapnK

Now I want one as well...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)